Re: Pscripting and extracting/PsLink

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2005
      Possibly the following might be of interest, from a memo just sent to a friend:

      OK! PsLink can be used in a pScript to open a specific memo
      (disclaimer.. for me, on a T3 :) ), as long as the memo "name"
      (first word, text string thing) is unique. In your case this would
      be, I think, *todo, *work, etc. First you need PsLink, which is
      wretchedly difficult to find. Go here http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PsLink,
      click on the download url which will get you to an all-Japanese page,
      scroll down to an arrow pointing to pslink.zip, and hit it. This
      should get you the PsLink folder. It is well worth the effort. Once
      you have PsLink installed, configure as follows ( for this specific
      undertaking. I suspect you'll use it for other linking tasks too).
      First change the default tag brackets used to link to
      something else since the default can conflict in scripts, etc. I use
      | | since I don't use the vertical bar "|" character for anything
      else. In the PsLink preferences (it installs into the Palm Prefs
      screen, not as an app) choose "None" after "Memo", then hit the
      "More"button and configure More Link No.1 as follows:
      Applcation: pedit04! (yes, include the "!")
      Database: MemosDB-PMem
      Start Tag: | (in my case. Use whatever tag you want)
      End Tag: | (ditto)
      Database link: leave unchecked
      DB Prefix: memosDB- (yes, include the "-")

      Now, If you put the string |*todo| in any active text field in
      any app on your palm and tap on it, your *todo pedit memo will
      (should) open. Yup. Woweee, zingo!
      Now, if you put |*todo|, |*work|, etc in, say, your magiPad,
      you can write a script to go to whatever memo you want, and could
      chain the script to do further manipulations on it. In the test
      script I wrote, below, the assumption is that the memo tags always
      remain in the same location in magiPad so the taps remain on target.
      I'm sure there are other ways though. This test script works on my
      T3 when set up as above.

      {GET::/&launchDf[@@peditPro@@,0]esc m/&tap[014,019]}

      {TASKS::/&launchDf[@@ppeditPro@@,0]esc m/&tap[014,040]}

      where "esc" is whatever your pedit esc key symbol is, and
      where [014,019] and [014,040] designate the screen coordinates in my
      magiPad where |Get| and |Tasks| are located. Running the get script
      opens my "Get" memo, etc.

      NOTE!! THIS WILL NOT WORK IF YOU HAVE FULL SCREEN WRITING TURNED ON !!

      Eh bien, voila, the rest is up to you. John.
    • Ray Drew
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2005
        "John" <jmmjr@...>

        wrote:

        > Possibly the following might be of interest, from a memo just sent to a
        friend:

        > OK! PsLink can be used in a pScript to open a specific memo
        > (disclaimer.. for me, on a T3 :) ), as long as the memo "name"
        > (first word, text string thing) is unique.

        Hi John,

        If this is a 'because it's there' thing, ignore the following:

        Does this do more for you than to script pedit's 'Go To Memo...' (Esc G)
        command? On the face of it this would be more powerful (can search for
        regex's etc. anywhere in a memo) and resilient (not dependent on tapping the
        right word in the right place in magiPad, only needs pedit to run etc.)?

        [I know you can link to todo's and appt's with psLink, if you use them.]

        Ray
      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2005

          >Hi John,
          >
          >If this is a 'because it's there' thing, ignore the following:
          >
          >Does this do more for you than to script pedit's 'Go To Memo...' (Esc G)
          >command? On the face of it this would be more powerful (can search for
          >regex's etc. anywhere in a memo) and resilient (not dependent on tapping the
          >right word in the right place in magiPad, only needs pedit to run etc.)?
          >
          >[I know you can link to todo's and appt's with psLink, if you use them.]
          >
          >Ray

          Hi, Ray.
          Mostly because it's there. It's a little out of context. I
          was responding in a personal email to someone who is trying to
          totally automate transfer of memos to todos using scripting activated
          in the middle of the night while he's sleeping, not while he's
          holding the thing in his hand. I've been playing with PsLink for
          other purposes and so I tried it out for his problem, and then
          decided to post it to the forum just in case someone out there who
          doesn't know about PsLink would like to. Using Esc G in the process
          would be more efficient, especially in its newly improved form.

          regards, John