Re: [peditors] Request for pToDo feature

  • Paolo Amoroso
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
      Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> writes:

      > Nope. Impossible. ToDo does not support alarms. All=my=best, Paul

      DiddleBug may help:

      http://diddlebug.sourceforge.net/

      Paolo
      --
      Lisp Propulsion Laboratory log - http://www.paoloamoroso.it/log
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
        # I'm sure you'll get a deluge of email from T5'ers that will beg to
        # differ! It might be a new feature of OS5, if you set a due date on a
        # TODO you get the option of an alarm.

        I am sure you are right but PalmOne never released either the source code or
        the SDK for their version of ToDo so that there is nothing I can do. I only
        have the info on the PalmSource version of it.

        BTW, if I am wrong, I will appreciate if someone tells me privately how to
        get the info.

        Best regards, Paul
      • Josh Morris
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
          --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Marcus Williams <marcus@q...> wrote:
          > On 04/03/2005 00:15, Paul Nevai wrote:
          > > Nope. Impossible. ToDo does not support alarms. All=my=best, Paul
          >
          > I'm sure you'll get a deluge of email from T5'ers that will beg to
          > differ! It might be a new feature of OS5, if you set a due date on a
          > TODO you get the option of an alarm.

          It's not an OS5 specific item. It's a PalmOne specific item, and
          unfortunately, as Paul pointed out, they have not released information
          on their new apps. That's why developers (CESD of DateBk fame for
          another example) are having to reverse engineer the databases in order
          to even get their programs to work well (because of the PalmOne
          DataMangler, er DataManager which translates requests that are from
          apps to the "classic" db's into the databases that PalmOne uses (i.e.
          Calendar, Tasks, Memos, and Contacts instead of Datebook, Todo's,
          MemoPad, and AddressBook).

          While I somewhat welcome the initiative that PalmOne took in improving
          the PIM apps, I'm kind of upset that they didn't provide the
          developers with a proper SDK or sourcecode so third party apps could
          use the new databases directly rather than go through the somewhat
          flawed DataManager. Third party programs are what made the Palm
          platform so successful for so long. You'd think PalmOne would have a
          clue about this. They'd probably sell a lot more T5's if developers
          could actually access the new databases and improve their programs
          accordingly. (The reason being that the DataManager on the T5 is
          dreadfully slow when combined with the VFS that it uses to store data
          in the flash area; plus the shadow copies of the PalmSource db's are
          known to balloon in size, even though they aren't really supposed to
          contain any data and are a conduit the DM uses to shuffle data between
          third party apps and their proprietary databases.)
          <end of rant>

          Cheers!
          Josh
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
            # You'd think PalmOne would have a clue about this.

            Case in point. I don't think I know anyone at PalmOne whereas I know quite a
            few at PalmSource. The former never seem to appear on any newsgroup/forum
            where developers converge. All=my=best, Paul
          • Blake Winton
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
              Paul Nevai wrote:
              > # You'd think PalmOne would have a clue about this.
              > Case in point. I don't think I know anyone at PalmOne whereas I know quite a
              > few at PalmSource. The former never seem to appear on any newsgroup/forum
              > where developers converge. All=my=best, Paul

              Ben Combee's at PalmOne these days.

              Later,
              Blake.
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
                # Ben Combee's at PalmOne these days.

                I didn't know that. So he moved from MW=>PalmSource=>PalmOne. I see that now
                he signs as "-- Ben Combee, Senior Software Engineer, palmOne, Inc.". Well,
                he is a good guy, a very good one. /Paul