pEditTool feature request

  • Maya Rose
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi Paul,

      One of the great special features of pEditTool is the way it can "take
      over" the built-in MemoPad (when "Auto pEditMemo is on"). Thus when I
      go (or another application points me to) MemoPad there is a specail
      pEditTool kicks in.

      My request is that if I also have pEditor installed I will have the
      option to do the editing of the memo in pEditor instead of using
      pEditTool.

      Best would be if pEditTool had an option to automatically/manually
      transfer me into pEditor environment.

      Maya
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
        #
        # My request is that if I also have pEditor installed I will have the
        # option to do the editing of the memo in pEditor instead of using
        # pEditTool.
        #
        # Best would be if pEditTool had an option to automatically/manually
        # transfer me into pEditor environment.

        Hi Maya:

        Are you asking me to transfer to pedit whenever MemoPad is launched?

        Why don't you just use pedit? I never use MemoPad [aka Memos]. Can you
        explain me why my suggestion is not sufficient?

        pedit is 100% MemoPad compatible.

        All=my=best, Paul
      • John Kershaw
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
          Hi Maya,

          At 7:34 am +0000 2/3/05, Maya Rose wrote:
          >One of the great special features of pEditTool is the way it can "take
          >over" the built-in MemoPad (when "Auto pEditMemo is on"). Thus when I
          >go (or another application points me to) MemoPad there is a specail
          >pEditTool kicks in.

          Why do you (or another application) ever go to Memopad?

          Have you used the Prefs app to change the rightmost button to use
          pedit rather than Memopad? Then you should never have to see Memopad
          again (I think the only time I've been into Memopad in the last
          couple of years was to see how the AutoPeditTool functioned!).

          John.
          T:01274 581519 www.kershaw.org M:07944 755613
          E:john@... | skype:johnmkershaw
          AIM:johnkershaw | Y!/MSN:john_m_kershaw
        • John Markley Jr.
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Kershaw <yahoogroups@k...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Maya,
            >
            > At 7:34 am +0000 2/3/05, Maya Rose wrote:
            > >One of the great special features of pEditTool is the way it
            can "take
            > >over" the built-in MemoPad (when "Auto pEditMemo is on"). Thus
            when I
            > >go (or another application points me to) MemoPad there is a specail
            > >pEditTool kicks in.
            >
            > Why do you (or another application) ever go to Memopad?
            >
            > Have you used the Prefs app to change the rightmost button to use
            > pedit rather than Memopad? Then you should never have to see
            Memopad
            > again (I think the only time I've been into Memopad in the last
            > couple of years was to see how the AutoPeditTool functioned!).

            Maya- Second that, both Paul and John's comments. Just stick
            your MemoPad icon in some category where you never go and only run
            pedit. Remeber that with peditPro you have two pedit memos, pedit04
            which takes the place of MemoPad (but under OS5 will give you 32k)
            and pedit32 which is completely independent of MemoPad. The one you
            want shows !m32Memos at the top of listview. Pedit32 shows !p32Memos.

            John M.
          • Maya Rose
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
              Thanks guys.

              Thing is I want to be able to Launch pEditPro from a button without
              using the Palm Preferences as I will have to give up another imporant
              application (the NotePad for exampl).

              Can someone help me with a simple script for that? I was thinking
              along the line of &launch which will be bound to pScript_00 which I
              can then invoke by attaching it to a key using pMasterTool. if
              pScript_00 invokes the pEditPro, than I am all set

              Thanks in advance,
              Maya

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                # Thing is I want to be able to Launch pEditPro from a button without
                # using the Palm Preferences as I will have to give up another imporant
                # application (the NotePad for exampl).
                #
                # Can someone help me with a simple script for that? I was thinking
                # along the line of &launch which will be bound to pScript_00 which I
                # can then invoke by attaching it to a key using pMasterTool. if
                # pScript_00 invokes the pEditPro, than I am all set

                It's elementary, my dear Maya. Take a look at the Palm's button prefs
                preference panel. Also, pMasterTool can do it with various press
                durations. All=my=best, Paul
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                  # again (I think the only time I've been into Memopad in the last
                  # couple of years was to see how the AutoPeditTool functioned!).

                  And??? Please do not keep us in suspense. Did it or not? /Paul
                • John Kershaw
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                    At 10:21 am -0500 2/3/05, Paul Nevai wrote:
                    ># again (I think the only time I've been into Memopad in the last
                    ># couple of years was to see how the AutoPeditTool functioned!).
                    >
                    >And??? Please do not keep us in suspense. Did it or not? /Paul

                    'how', not 'whether' :)

                    I read about pEditMemo in the manual, didn't quite understand what it
                    was meant to do, so launched Memopad and saw the pEditTool button. I
                    pressed it, it worked. I quit Memopad and haven't been back since :)

                    John.
                    T:01274 581519 www.kershaw.org M:07944 755613
                    E:john@... | skype:johnmkershaw
                    AIM:johnkershaw | Y!/MSN:john_m_kershaw
                  • Rodney Topor
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2005
                      --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "John Markley Jr." <jmmjr@u...> wrote:

                      > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Kershaw <yahoogroups@k...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Hi Maya,
                      > >
                      > > At 7:34 am +0000 2/3/05, Maya Rose wrote:
                      > > >One of the great special features of pEditTool is the way it
                      > can "take
                      > > >over" the built-in MemoPad (when "Auto pEditMemo is on"). Thus
                      > when I
                      > > >go (or another application points me to) MemoPad there is a specail
                      > > >pEditTool kicks in.
                      > >
                      > > Why do you (or another application) ever go to Memopad?

                      The application PilotGOne (http://minas.ithil.org/pilotgone/)
                      is programmed to go to MemoPad when a certain widget is pressed.
                      I don't understand them, but the key lines (in the open source app)
                      which do this are the following:

                      err = DmGetNextDatabaseByTypeCreator (true, &searchState,
                      sysFileTApplication, sysFileCMemo, true, &cardNo, &dbID);
                      ErrFatalDisplayIf(err, "Memo app not found");
                      if (! err)
                      {
                      err = SysUIAppSwitch (cardNo, dbID,
                      sysAppLaunchCmdGoTo, (Ptr)params);
                      ErrFatalDisplayIf(err, "Error sending goto action to app");
                      }

                      I would also prefer if this operation invoked peditpro at the
                      requested memo and line instead of MemoPad. Is there any way
                      to achieve this without changing the PilotGOne app? Or, if it is
                      necessary to change the app, how?

                      Rodney
                    • Maya Rose
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                        --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                        > # Thing is I want to be able to Launch pEditPro from a button without
                        > # using the Palm Preferences as I will have to give up another imporant
                        > # application (the NotePad for exampl).
                        > #
                        > # Can someone help me with a simple script for that? I was thinking
                        > # along the line of &launch which will be bound to pScript_00 which I
                        > # can then invoke by attaching it to a key using pMasterTool. if
                        > # pScript_00 invokes the pEditPro, than I am all set
                        >
                        > It's elementary, my dear Maya. Take a look at the Palm's button prefs
                        > preference panel. Also, pMasterTool can do it with various press
                        > durations. All=my=best, Paul

                        Well, unfortunatelly, I was not as lucky...

                        I have defined the following simple script for that purpose:

                        {pScript_00:/&launch[@@peditp4Launcher@@]}

                        And then assigned my deisred button vua pMasterTool to "run pScript_00".

                        Thing is - this does not work. Pressing the button (I have tried
                        different durations) does nothing but dispalys a black box on the
                        screen for a short time specifing that I have pressed a button.

                        On the other hand if I use pScriptTool and ask to run pScript_00 then
                        I do get my result (i.e. pEditPro being launched).

                        Anyone can help me solve the mystery?

                        Maya
                      • Maya Rose
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                          Sorry - a little typo. I used of course thr correct name in my script:
                          pedit04Lanucher

                          Maya

                          --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "Maya Rose" <RoseMaya@g...> wrote:

                          > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                          > > # Thing is I want to be able to Launch pEditPro from a button without
                          > > # using the Palm Preferences as I will have to give up another
                          imporant
                          > > # application (the NotePad for exampl).
                          > > #
                          > > # Can someone help me with a simple script for that? I was thinking
                          > > # along the line of &launch which will be bound to pScript_00 which I
                          > > # can then invoke by attaching it to a key using pMasterTool. if
                          > > # pScript_00 invokes the pEditPro, than I am all set
                          > >
                          > > It's elementary, my dear Maya. Take a look at the Palm's button prefs
                          > > preference panel. Also, pMasterTool can do it with various press
                          > > durations. All=my=best, Paul
                          >
                          > Well, unfortunatelly, I was not as lucky...
                          >
                          > I have defined the following simple script for that purpose:
                          >
                          > {pScript_00:/&launch[@@peditp4Launcher@@]}
                          >
                          > And then assigned my deisred button vua pMasterTool to "run pScript_00".
                          >
                          > Thing is - this does not work. Pressing the button (I have tried
                          > different durations) does nothing but dispalys a black box on the
                          > screen for a short time specifing that I have pressed a button.
                          >
                          > On the other hand if I use pScriptTool and ask to run pScript_00 then
                          > I do get my result (i.e. pEditPro being launched).
                          >
                          > Anyone can help me solve the mystery?
                          >
                          > Maya
                        • Tim Paris
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                            Why not set pedit04Lanucher to the desired button in pMasterTool?

                            Sorry - a little typo. I used of course thr correct name in my script:
                            pedit04Lanucher

                            Maya

                            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "Maya Rose" <RoseMaya@g...> wrote:

                            > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                            > > # Thing is I want to be able to Launch pEditPro from a button without
                            > > # using the Palm Preferences as I will have to give up another
                            imporant
                            > > # application (the NotePad for exampl).
                            > > #
                            > > # Can someone help me with a simple script for that? I was thinking
                            > > # along the line of &launch which will be bound to pScript_00 which I
                            > > # can then invoke by attaching it to a key using pMasterTool. if
                            > > # pScript_00 invokes the pEditPro, than I am all set
                            > >
                            > > It's elementary, my dear Maya. Take a look at the Palm's button prefs
                            > > preference panel. Also, pMasterTool can do it with various press
                            > > durations. All=my=best, Paul
                            >
                            > Well, unfortunatelly, I was not as lucky...
                            >
                            > I have defined the following simple script for that purpose:
                            >
                            > {pScript_00:/&launch[@@peditp4Launcher@@]}
                            >
                            > And then assigned my deisred button vua pMasterTool to "run pScript_00".
                            >
                            > Thing is - this does not work. Pressing the button (I have tried
                            > different durations) does nothing but dispalys a black box on the
                            > screen for a short time specifing that I have pressed a button.
                            >
                            > On the other hand if I use pScriptTool and ask to run pScript_00 then
                            > I do get my result (i.e. pEditPro being launched).
                            >
                            > Anyone can help me solve the mystery?
                            >
                            > Maya

                            Latest pedit/LapTophack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
                            pedit/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com
                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                              Hi Maya:

                              # {pScript_00:/&launch[@@peditp4Launcher@@]}
                              #
                              # And then assigned my deisred button vua pMasterTool to "run pScript_00".
                              #
                              # Thing is - this does not work. Pressing the button (I have tried
                              # different durations) does nothing but dispalys a black box on the
                              # screen for a short time specifing that I have pressed a button.
                              #
                              # On the other hand if I use pScriptTool and ask to run pScript_00 then
                              # I do get my result (i.e. pEditPro being launched).
                              #
                              # Anyone can help me solve the mystery?

                              Yes, I can. It's not a mystery but an issue of errors. Please read the
                              examples about pScript_00 tags in the manual. The above is not even a
                              pScript. Misses "::". Your pScript_00 is not a tag but a script name.

                              EXAMPLE. ... pScript_08 blahblah {mess::/&mess@[@@pScript_08@@,,]}

                              /Paul
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                                # err = DmGetNextDatabaseByTypeCreator (true, &searchState,
                                # sysFileTApplication, sysFileCMemo, true, &cardNo, &dbID);
                                # ErrFatalDisplayIf(err, "Memo app not found");
                                # if (! err)
                                # {
                                # err = SysUIAppSwitch (cardNo, dbID,
                                # sysAppLaunchCmdGoTo, (Ptr)params);
                                # ErrFatalDisplayIf(err, "Error sending goto action to app");
                                # }
                                #
                                # I would also prefer if this operation invoked peditpro at the
                                # requested memo and line instead of MemoPad. Is there any way
                                # to achieve this without changing the PilotGOne app? Or, if it is
                                # necessary to change the app, how?

                                Now that's a good question. Very odd that the guy added ErrFatalDisplayIf()
                                to it. Anyway, this probably can't be hacked in OS5+ since it uses
                                sysAppLaunchCmdGoTo which is not hackable. In OS4- it is easy.

                                Even if I could make it launch pedit instead, it would not open up the same
                                memo since I would have no way of knowing the values of the params above.

                                Also, this hack would launch then pedit if if you didn't want it. Etc.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                                  # The application PilotGOne (http://minas.ithil.org/pilotgone/)

                                  BTW, this sounds like some very very old thing since the word "pilot" can't
                                  legally be used for Palm stuff anymore. /Paul
                                • Maya Rose
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                                    Thanks Paul,

                                    Just got your point (it's called RTF is not it ;-)

                                    Anyway, I sure messed up two different concepts, mistakingly
                                    thinking of "run pScript_00" as it meant that a special script named
                                    "pScript_00" is going to be launched (when in fact it runs the first
                                    pScript, of whatever named, found after that label...

                                    And you were right I can have pToolSet write the correct script for me
                                    (this was as easy as launching pScriptPad from pEditPro and use the
                                    insert pScript command)

                                    And now it works great, just the way I wanted :-)

                                    Maya

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                                      # Just got your point (it's called RTF is not it ;-)

                                      I have no idea what RTF means, except for rich text format. I even googled
                                      "define: RTF". Must be a teenager SMS slang. All=my=best, Paul
                                    • Josh Morris
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 3, 2005
                                        --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                                        > # Just got your point (it's called RTF is not it ;-)
                                        >
                                        > I have no idea what RTF means, except for rich text format. I even
                                        googled
                                        > "define: RTF". Must be a teenager SMS slang. All=my=best, Paul

                                        I think Maya meant RTFM (at least that's what my coffee cup has on
                                        it). That means read the "fun" manual. (Or insert your own 'F' word
                                        there.)

                                        Cheers!
                                        Josh