Re: [peditors] OT: Bad filename crashing handheld?

  • Paolo Amoroso
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
      John Kershaw <yahoogroups@...> writes:

      > I seem to have a corrupt filename on my Visor that's stopping me
      > performing card backups or even viewing files on the handheld with
      > Filez/FAFileManager etc. Whenever any app tries to display the
      [...]
      > Any ideas how I can delete this file without viewing it first? It's

      You should be able to do it with one of the pilot-link tools:

      pilot-xfer -p /dev/<your-USB-port> -d <database-name>

      If the database name includes weird characters, you can first see how
      pilot-xfer shows it by listing all database names with:

      pilot-xfer -p /dev/<your-USB-port> -l

      and then feeding back the appropriate name to the `-d' option of
      pilot-xfer. The program, which used to work also on Windows, is
      available at:

      http://www.pilot-link.org

      If it does no longer work with Windows, you still have a couple of

      - look for a friend with Linux or MacOS X (does pilot-link work on Mac
      OS x?)
      - look for a similar Windows tool at PalmGear

      Good luck,

      Paolo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
        Hi John:

        # I seem to have a corrupt filename on my Visor that's stopping me performing
        # card backups or even viewing files on the handheld with Filez/FAFileManager
        # etc. Whenever any app tries to display the filename, MyBibleHigh*ights
        # NKJV, where * is an empty rectangle (control character?) I get MemoryMgr.c
        # error at line 43somethingsomething.

        1st, tell me the exact MemoryMgr.c message. I can tell you then why you get
        the crash.

        Maybe the filename, maybe the file itself. Is it a DOC file? Then TealDoc may
        delete it.

        Did you try RsrcEdit?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
          Hi John:

          # MyBibleHigh ights-NKJV 0000 Snkj mBi 08/17/04 12/11/04 0001
          # So it looks like the file could be isolated by Type=Snkj
          #
          # Anyone able to write me a script that could rename/delete all files
          # with Type=Snkj? I'm open to pScripts, PocketC, HotPaw, Lisp,
          # whatever. I know almost nothing about any of those, but have
          # installed them (and others) from time to time in the past, so could
          # do so again.

          I could write you a Palm application to do it but 1st make sure that no other
          'Snkj' exists on your Palm.

          Ask the myBible guys if they ever heard of 'Snkj'. Google didn't help me. OK?

          Stop worrying. I will do the job. Let's do it one step at a time.

          Best regards, Paul
        • John Kershaw
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
            Thanks Paolo,

            I've tried installing pilot-link9 using Fink on my PowerBook, but the
            Terminal doesn't recognise the pilot-xfer command. The web site seems
            to promise Mac OS X compatibility in the next version (written
            September 04 so I'm not holding my breath for an imminent release!)
            but doesn't say whether they mean Mac OS X isn't supported in the
            11.8 release. Doh!

            John.

            At 10:34 am +0100 6/1/05, Paolo Amoroso wrote:
            >John Kershaw <yahoogroups@...> writes:
            >
            >> I seem to have a corrupt filename on my Visor that's stopping me
            >> performing card backups or even viewing files on the handheld with
            >> Filez/FAFileManager etc. Whenever any app tries to display the
            >[...]
            >> Any ideas how I can delete this file without viewing it first? It's
            >
            >You should be able to do it with one of the pilot-link tools:
            >
            > pilot-xfer -p /dev/<your-USB-port> -d <database-name>
            >
            >If the database name includes weird characters, you can first see how
            >pilot-xfer shows it by listing all database names with:
            >
            > pilot-xfer -p /dev/<your-USB-port> -l
            >
            >and then feeding back the appropriate name to the `-d' option of
            >pilot-xfer. The program, which used to work also on Windows, is
            >available at:
            >
            > http://www.pilot-link.org
            >
            >If it does no longer work with Windows, you still have a couple of
            >
            >- look for a friend with Linux or MacOS X (does pilot-link work on Mac
            > OS x?)
            >- look for a similar Windows tool at PalmGear
            >
            >Good luck,
            >

            >Paolo
            >--
            >Why Lisp? http://alu.cliki.net/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
            >

            >pedit and pScripting pTutorial at http://home.att.net/~leehauser/ptutor
            >Latest pedit/LapTophack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
            >pedit/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            T:01274 581519 www.kershaw.org M:07944 755613
            E:john@... | skype:johnmkershaw
            AIM:johnkershaw | Y!/MSN:john_m_kershaw
          • Paolo Amoroso
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
              John Kershaw <yahoogroups@...> writes:

              > I've tried installing pilot-link9 using Fink on my PowerBook, but the
              > Terminal doesn't recognise the pilot-xfer command. The web site seems

              Is it in your $PATH?

              > to promise Mac OS X compatibility in the next version (written
              > September 04 so I'm not holding my breath for an imminent release!)
              > but doesn't say whether they mean Mac OS X isn't supported in the
              > 11.8 release. Doh!

              The README file in version 11.8 doesn't mention Mac OS X, but you may
              try downloading the sources and running configure.

              Paolo