OT: need PDA model recommendation

  • Dave Lemire
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 17, 2004
      I'm looking for a replacement PDA for my high-schooler, who's CLIE
      SJ22 was stolen. She's indicated that she'd really like audiobook
      support, so we've been considering a ZIRE 31, but the only review
      I've seen was really negative about the screen. Since the SJ22
      screen was really nice, obviously that'd be a downgrade.

      Am I overlooking other options, without springing for a Tungsten
      E? My wife's got one of those and it's great, but I was hoping to
      not spend quite that much.

      Thanks for any insight.

      DaveL
    • Paolo Amoroso
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 17, 2004
        Dave Lemire <davelemire@...> writes:

        > Am I overlooking other options, without springing for a Tungsten
        > E? My wife's got one of those and it's great, but I was hoping to
        > not spend quite that much.

        A few days ago I caught up with Palm OS PDAs and bought a Tungsten E.
        I have no experience with other current devices, so I can only confirm
        that the Tungsten E looks great--I only wish my eyesight was as good
        as when I used my earlier PDAs :)

        Paolo
      • Blake Winton
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 17, 2004
          Dave Lemire wrote:
          > I'm looking for a replacement PDA for my high-schooler, who's CLIE
          > SJ22 was stolen. She's indicated that she'd really like audiobook
          > support, so we've been considering a ZIRE 31, but the only review
          > I've seen was really negative about the screen. Since the SJ22
          > screen was really nice, obviously that'd be a downgrade.

          I really like my SJ-33, and if she's used to the SJ-22, it shouldn't be
          much of a change. They're not available new anymore, but there seemed
          to be quite a few on eBay the last time I checked.

          Good luck,
          Blake.
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 17, 2004
            # I really like my SJ-33, and if she's used to the SJ-22, it shouldn't be
            # much of a change. They're not available new anymore, but there seemed
            # to be quite a few on eBay the last time I checked.

            Contemplating buying a used PDA? Caveat Emptor [no need to counter-argue,
            this is just an advice].

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

            /Paul
          • Dave Lemire
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 18, 2004
              Paul Nevai wrote:
              > Contemplating buying a used PDA? Caveat Emptor [no need to counter-argue,
              > this is just an advice].
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

              And good advice, too. I'm finding myself somewhat between a rock and a
              hard place. Given the shrinking number of players in the PALM hardware
              market, there aren't too many options. My daughter and I both really
              like (liked, unfortunately, in her case) our SJ22s, but Sony's bailed on
              the US PDA market, so ... :-(

              Despite the caveat emptor, I may ultimately be tempted by an SJ33
              through eBay.

              DaveL
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 18, 2004
                # And good advice, too. I'm finding myself somewhat between a rock and a
                # hard place. Given the shrinking number of players in the PALM hardware
                # market, there aren't too many options. My daughter and I both really
                # like (liked, unfortunately, in her case) our SJ22s, but Sony's bailed on
                # the US PDA market, so ... :-(

                Yes yes, yes, yes. The only Palm I can recommend now is the Tungsten C but
                only if you need WiFi and only if you are willing to spend mucho bucks and
                only if you are willing to accept serious quality control issues and very bad
                technical support.

                One of my good friends with limited resources [the guy is Spanish], asked for
                advice and I would never say it in public and for the record what I told him.

                Please note that the Treo 650 might be excellent except that I have no use
                for a PDA without WiFi and with very high monthly maintenance costs.

                BTW, has anyone seen the new Sony?

                http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers_USeries&Dept=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers&ProductSKU=VGNU750P&expand=acc#features

                Looks neat.

                Best regards, Paul
              • hisimage8
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 19, 2004
                  Paul,

                  Here's an interesting look at how one guy uses the Sony U-70.

                  jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/ 2004/07/sony_u70_review.html

                  Patricia

                  > BTW, has anyone seen the new Sony?
                  >
                  > Looks neat.
                  >
                  > Best regards, Paul
                • Michael Connick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 19, 2004
                    I now own a Sony U750. Great super-portable notebook computer that
                    definitely has some crossover into the PDA space. I'm using it right now to
                    compose this email message while sitting in my recliner drinking coffee.

                    Michael Connick

                    Here's an interesting look at how one guy uses the Sony U-70.

                    jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/ 2004/07/sony_u70_review.html

                    Patricia

                    > BTW, has anyone seen the new Sony?
                    >
                    > Looks neat.
                    >
                    > Best regards, Paul

                    pedit and pScripting pTutorial at http://home.att.net/~leehauser/ptutor
                    Latest pedit/LapTophack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
                    pedit/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com
                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 19, 2004
                      Dear Michael:

                      # I now own a Sony U750. Great super-portable notebook computer that
                      # definitely has some crossover into the PDA space. I'm using it right now to
                      # compose this email message while sitting in my recliner drinking coffee.

                      Can you run "ssh" on it such as the F-Secure thing which works perfectly on
                      my PC? Best regards, Paul
                    • mconnick@sprintpcs.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 19, 2004
                        It's really a miniature full-blown notebook computer. It runs Windows XP Pro and has 512MB of memory. So yes, it certainly can run SSH.

                        Michael Connick
                        The Connected PDA Treo 650 Moblog - http://mconnick.textamerica.com
                        The Connected PDA - http://webpages.charter.net/mconnick/

                        Sent from a Treo 650 via SprintPCS

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 22, 2004
                          > Despite the caveat emptor, I may ultimately be tempted by an
                          > SJ33 through eBay.

                          Just to close the loop on this: Bid on one SJ33 package on eBay
                          and lost. She tried a Zire 31 in the store and thought the screen
                          OK, so we brought that home. Just need to sync it up and get her
                          rolling again.

                          Thanks to all who offered advice.

                          DaveL
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 22, 2004
                            # Just to close the loop on this: Bid on one SJ33 package on eBay and lost.
                            # She tried a Zire 31 in the store and thought the screen OK, so we brought
                            # that home. Just need to sync it up and get her rolling again.

                            Keep in mind that most stores allow you to take it back within X days if you
                            [i.e., your daughter] is unhappy. X is usually 14 or 30. Good luck, Paul