Re: [peditors] Microsoft gets patent for holding application button

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4 3:43 AM
      # A method and system are provided for extending the functionality of
      # application buttons on a limited resource computing device. Alternative
      # application functions are launched based on the length of time an
      # application button is pressed. A default function for an application is
      # launched if the button is pressed for a short, i.e., normal, period of
      # time. An alternative function of the application is launched if the button
      # is pressed for a long, (e.g., at least one second), period of time. Still
      # another function can be launched if the application button is pressed
      # multiple times within a short period of time, e.g., double click.

      So pToolSet will soon double in price and then MS will get 50% of each sale.
      Or will we pay on a "per button press" basis? /Paul
    • Sander Roosendaal
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4 4:26 AM
        More information on

        http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,63707,00.html

        --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
        > # A method and system are provided for extending the functionality
        of
        > # application buttons on a limited resource computing device.
        Alternative
        > # application functions are launched based on the length of time an
        > # application button is pressed. A default function for an
        application is
        > # launched if the button is pressed for a short, i.e., normal,
        period of
        > # time. An alternative function of the application is launched if
        the button
        > # is pressed for a long, (e.g., at least one second), period of
        time. Still
        > # another function can be launched if the application button is
        pressed
        > # multiple times within a short period of time, e.g., double click.
        >
        > So pToolSet will soon double in price and then MS will get 50% of
        each sale.
        > Or will we pay on a "per button press" basis? /Paul
      • Michael M. Rye
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4 4:44 AM
          More attempts from the "evil empire" to take over the world. Great ....
          NOT! :-|

          --
          Michael

          On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:26:36 +0000 Sander Roosendaal
          <sander@...> wrote:
          >More information on
          >
          >http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,63707,00.html
          >
          >--- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
          >> # A method and system are provided for extending the functionality
          >of
          >> # application buttons on a limited resource computing device.
          >Alternative
          >> # application functions are launched based on the length of time an
          >> # application button is pressed. A default function for an
          >application is
          >> # launched if the button is pressed for a short, i.e., normal,
          >period of
          >> # time. An alternative function of the application is launched if
          >the button
          >> # is pressed for a long, (e.g., at least one second), period of
          >time. Still
          >> # another function can be launched if the application button is
          >pressed
          >> # multiple times within a short period of time, e.g., double click.
          >>
          >> So pToolSet will soon double in price and then MS will get 50% of
          >each sale.
          >> Or will we pay on a "per button press" basis? /Paul
          >

          >pedit and pScripting pTutorial at http://home.att.net/~leehauser/ptutor
          >Latest pedit/LapTophack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
          >pedit/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John Kershaw
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4 5:10 AM
            At 9:27 am +0000 4/6/04, Sander Roosendaal wrote:
            >A method and system are provided for extending the functionality of
            >application buttons on a limited resource computing device.

            Anyone ever seen an 'unlimited' resource computing device? Surely
            this is simply defining a double-click / click-n-hold on any
            computer? My Mac's been doing both of these for at least five years
            (click-n-hold was, ironically, a substitute for not having a Windoze
            right-click to access pop-up menus).

            This is madness. Surely there's tonnes of prior art?

            John.
            01274 581519 / 07944 755613
            john@... / http://www.kershaw.org
            AOL johnkershaw / Y! & MSN john_m_kershaw
          • Sander Roosendaal
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4 5:25 AM
              The priority date is 2002, but someone explained to me: because they
              are referring to other submissions, the real priority date is 1997.
              (The explanation - over lunch - was quite vague, but the guy is a
              patent attorney.)

              --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Kershaw <yahoogroups@k...>
              wrote:
              > At 9:27 am +0000 4/6/04, Sander Roosendaal wrote:
              > >A method and system are provided for extending the functionality of
              > >application buttons on a limited resource computing device.
              >
              > Anyone ever seen an 'unlimited' resource computing device? Surely
              > this is simply defining a double-click / click-n-hold on any
              > computer? My Mac's been doing both of these for at least five years
              > (click-n-hold was, ironically, a substitute for not having a
              Windoze
              > right-click to access pop-up menus).
              >
              > This is madness. Surely there's tonnes of prior art?
              >
              > John.
              > --
              > 01274 581519 / 07944 755613
              > john@k... / http://www.kershaw.org
              > AOL johnkershaw / Y! & MSN john_m_kershaw
            • daniel holenstein
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4 8:41 AM
                Hy all,

                i can hardly believe what i read. I have simply no words for this. Next they will get the patent for breathing.

                Daniel

                <sander@...> wrote:
                >More information on
                >
                >http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,63707,00.html
                >
                >--- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                >> # A method and system are provided for extending the functionality
                >of
                >> # application buttons on a limited resource computing device.
                >Alternative
                >> # application functions are launched based on the length of time an
                >> # application button is pressed. A default function for an
                >application is
                >> # launched if the button is pressed for a short, i.e., normal,
                >period of
                >> # time. An alternative function of the application is launched if
                >the button
                >> # is pressed for a long, (e.g., at least one second), period of
                >time. Still
                >> # another function can be launched if the application button is
                >pressed
                >> # multiple times within a short period of time, e.g., double click.
                >>
                >> So pToolSet will soon double in price and then MS will get 50% of
                >each sale.
                >> Or will we pay on a "per button press" basis? /Paul
                >

                >pedit and pScripting pTutorial at http://home.att.net/~leehauser/ptutor
                >Latest pedit/LapTophack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
                >pedit/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                pedit and pScripting pTutorial at http://home.att.net/~leehauser/ptutor
                Latest pedit/LapTophack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
                pedit/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Paolo Amoroso
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 5 12:47 AM
                  "Sander Roosendaal" <sander@...> writes:

                  > US6727830B2
                  >
                  > 20040427 Time based hardware button for application launch

                  A century ago, patent offices could afford to hire well educated
                  people like a certain Einstein.

                  Paolo
                • Brenda
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 5 7:05 PM
                    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 08:41:59 -0700 (PDT), daniel holenstein wrote:
                    >Next they will get the patent for breathing.

                    Didn't you know that Micro$oft invented oxygen?

                    Brenda
                  • Josh Morris
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 6 7:19 AM
                      > Didn't you know that Micro$oft invented oxygen?

                      So my hopes of a Microsoft environment are not very good, eh?

                      (BTW, completely OT, I just got a new T3.)

                      Josh
                    • Josh Morris
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 6 5:15 PM
                        > So my hopes of a Microsoft environment are not very good, eh?

                        That should have been Microsoft-free environment. Kind of loses its
                        meaning otherwise... Oops. -Josh
                      • Brenda
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 6 6:29 PM
                          On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:15:29 -0000, Josh Morris wrote:
                          >That should have been Microsoft-free environment. Kind of loses its
                          >meaning otherwise... Oops. -Josh

                          Thanks... I kept re-reading it going, huh??

                          Brenda
                        • John Kershaw
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 6 11:54 PM
                            At 7:05 pm -0700 5/6/04, Brenda wrote:
                            >Didn't you know that Micro$oft invented oxygen?

                            But they're selling it under the brandname 'Obnoxygen'. And it's
                            incompatible with your existing respiratory system, so you'll need to
                            install an upgrade...

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 7 8:08 PM
                              --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Brenda <brenda@b...> wrote:
                              > On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:15:29 -0000, Josh Morris wrote:
                              > >That should have been Microsoft-free environment. Kind of loses its
                              > >meaning otherwise... Oops. -Josh
                              >
                              > Thanks... I kept re-reading it going, huh??
                              >
                              > Brenda

                              It was one of those days...