goodbye Clie...

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi Guys:

      For the worse or worse [so to speak], see

      http://www.brighthand.com/article/sayonara_clie

      BTW, Sony also exited the regular phone market a few years ago. I still have
      3 cordless Sonys which are about 6 years old and they still work fine [with
      the orig batteries].

      On the other hand, I had almost a dozen Sony walkmans [or it it "walkmen"?]
      and they were all pretty bad.

      AMB=Paul
    • Josh Morris
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
        > http://www.brighthand.com/article/sayonara_clie
        >
        > BTW, Sony also exited the regular phone market a few years ago. I
        still have
        > 3 cordless Sonys which are about 6 years old and they still work
        fine [with
        > the orig batteries].
        >
        > On the other hand, I had almost a dozen Sony walkmans [or it it
        "walkmen"?]
        > and they were all pretty bad.
        >
        > AMB=Paul

        Bummer. I liked the Clie's for the most part, except for their
        proprietary sound subsystem (which has since been "hacked" with
        moderate success by a member of Cliesource). This pretty much leaves
        PalmOne to corner the PalmOS market (I don't think Tapwave or Garmin
        make up a significant enough portion of the market to matter). I
        wonder what that will do for innovation and such. Sony always liked to
        push the envelope in terms of what these little devices can do. I
        wonder what the folks on Cliesource will have to say about this (when
        they do finally finish their Memorial Day weekend maintenance).

        Josh
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
          # Bummer. I liked the Clie's for the most part, except for their
          # proprietary sound subsystem (which has since been "hacked" with
          # moderate success by a member of Cliesource). This pretty much leaves
          # PalmOne to corner the PalmOS market (I don't think Tapwave or Garmin
          # make up a significant enough portion of the market to matter). I

          Tapwave and Garmin together are barely more than 0 [zero]. The PDAs are
          heading where personal computers are. Mac vs PCs. The PCs dominate but the
          Macs have their followers. Soon probably the Palm will be like the Mac. /Paul
        • Wayne A. Arthurton
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
            Ahhhhh.

            I certainly hope not.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
              > I certainly hope not.

              >> Soon probably the Palm will be like the Mac. /Paul

              Unfortunately, you may be right. I like the simplicity of the PalmOS,
              and I can get much more work done with it than I can with my iPAQ, but
              I do find myself "playing" with the iPAQ for multimedia stuff,
              wireless surfing at Panera and Staufs, etc. Too bad ActiveSync sucks
              and nothing can compare with DateBk. Hopefully, Palm will come out
              with a T|T3 successor with built-in 802.11 that works a litle better
              than my NX's wireless. (Oh, and go back to the standard PIM databases
              since the data manager "kludge" is terrible.)

              Josh