Re: [peditors] Re: pScripting...

  • John Kershaw
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
      At 3:38 pm -0400 6/4/04, Paul Nevai wrote:
      ># I'm going to assume this is for the RSS comment as I hope Paul knows
      ># the code names Cobalt and Garnet. :)
      >
      >BTW, IMHO, giving code names such as the above is pretty much infantile but
      >then all OS makers do it, cf. Jaguar, Panther, etc. /Paul

      Depends whether you find it easier to remember numbers or words. To
      most people Jaguar, FireWire & Airport are probably easier to
      recall/distinguish between than 10.2, IEEE 1394, 802.11b

      John.
      01274 581519 / 07944 755613
      john@... / http://www.kershaw.org
      AOL johnkershaw / Y! & MSN john_m_kershaw
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 7, 2004
        # Depends whether you find it easier to remember numbers or words. To
        # most people Jaguar, FireWire & Airport are probably easier to
        # recall/distinguish between than 10.2, IEEE 1394, 802.11b

        FireWire & Airport are just fine for my taste. Giving names to OS versions
        isn't. Similarly, giving names to war plans like "operation this and that"
        sounds even more childish for me. /Paul
      • Sander Roosendaal
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 7, 2004
          Paul Nevai wrote:

          > # Depends whether you find it easier to remember numbers or words. To
          > # most people Jaguar, FireWire & Airport are probably easier to
          > # recall/distinguish between than 10.2, IEEE 1394, 802.11b
          >
          > FireWire & Airport are just fine for my taste. Giving names to OS versions
          > isn't. Similarly, giving names to war plans like "operation this and that"
          > sounds even more childish for me. /Paul

          May 2003. I enter the USA at Washington Dulles Airport. The waiting in queue
          for the immigration takes about 120 minutes. When it's finally my turn,
          immigration officer (I estimate him about 150kg) inspects my passport, sees
          that it has been issued in Eindhoven and says:
          He: "So, you're from Eindhoven."
          Me: "Yes." (A little nervous, as I always am in these situations.)
          He: "You know, my grandfather was in Operation Market Garden. He liberated
          you."
          Me: "?!" (Definitely showing more surprise and nervousness than gratitude.)
          He: "You know, we thought that was a good thing liberating you."

          Operation Market Garden. Mind you, I am grateful for Americans (and
          Canadians, and Russians, and Polish) liberating Europe in WW2, but I wasn't
          in the mood to discuss history, especially not with this guy, especially
          not with what he was implying about military operations going on in May
          2003.

          I hope I send this off to you personally and not to the group as I did last
          time.

          --
          hartelijke groeten,

          Sander
          sander@...

          If this helped, please take the time to rate the value of this post
          http://rate.affero.net/sander/
        • Dave Lemire
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 7, 2004
            Sander,

            I'm not sure what email address you sent it to, but at least one
            person other than Paul got it. :-)

            Dave L

            Sander Roosendaal wrote:

            > Paul Nevai wrote:
            >

            >># Depends whether you find it easier to remember numbers or words. To
            >># most people Jaguar, FireWire & Airport are probably easier to
            >># recall/distinguish between than 10.2, IEEE 1394, 802.11b
            >>
            >>FireWire & Airport are just fine for my taste. Giving names to OS versions
            >>isn't. Similarly, giving names to war plans like "operation this and that"
            >>sounds even more childish for me. /Paul
            >

            > May 2003. I enter the USA at Washington Dulles Airport. The waiting in queue
            > for the immigration takes about 120 minutes. When it's finally my turn,
            > immigration officer (I estimate him about 150kg) inspects my passport, sees
            > that it has been issued in Eindhoven and says:
            > He: "So, you're from Eindhoven."
            > Me: "Yes." (A little nervous, as I always am in these situations.)
            > He: "You know, my grandfather was in Operation Market Garden. He liberated
            > you."
            > Me: "?!" (Definitely showing more surprise and nervousness than gratitude.)
            > He: "You know, we thought that was a good thing liberating you."
            >
            > Operation Market Garden. Mind you, I am grateful for Americans (and
            > Canadians, and Russians, and Polish) liberating Europe in WW2, but I wasn't
            > in the mood to discuss history, especially not with this guy, especially
            > not with what he was implying about military operations going on in May
            > 2003.
            >
            > I hope I send this off to you personally and not to the group as I did last
            > time.

          • Sander Roosendaal
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 7, 2004
              Dave Lemire wrote:

              > Sander,
              >
              > I'm not sure what email address you sent it to, but at least one
              > person other than Paul got it. :-)
              >
              > Dave L

              It must be gmane doing this. Sorry for OT posting.

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 7, 2004
                Dave Lemire wrote:

                > Sander,
                >
                > I'm not sure what email address you sent it to, but at least one
                > person other than Paul got it. :-)
                >
                > Dave L

                Sorry. I read this list via gmane.org and I forget that it is really a
                mailing list and not a real newsgroup.

                Please, if you want to comment on Market Garden, email me at
                sander@...