Re: [peditors] Re: Edit Favorites and Sorting Question

  • Jeff Roule
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hey Dwight,

      On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 05:30:07 -0000, carrdwight wrote:
      > manual and i-tips, I just can't figure out what the "# lines ..."
      > means in pSort.

      1)
      # of skipped fields will skip the indicated number of fields (think words) in each line included in the search. So if we have this starting text:
      This One
      Another Two
      These Three

      Enter a 1 for the # of skipped fields each line will be sorted by the second word, in this case the words One, Two, and Three. So our sorted text looks like this:
      This One
      These Three
      Another Two

      2)
      # of skipped columns works very similar, but only skips the indicated number of columns (think characters). So, here's our text:
      This One
      Another Two
      These Three

      Enter a 1 for the # of skipped columns and the sort starts by looking at the second column (letter) in each line. So our sorted text looks like this:
      These Three
      This One
      Another Two

      3)
      # of compared columns works with # of skipped columns. It allows you to limit the search to a subset of each line. Here's our starting text:
      One Line
      Another Line
      Third Line

      If you enter a 1 for # of skipped columns and a 2 for # of compared columns, each line will be sorted by looking at characters 2 and 3, i.e., "ne", "no", and "hi", so we get:
      Third Line
      One Line
      Another Line

      That's it. Hope this is helpful (and understandable). If it's still not clear we may have to go to voice communications. In any case, don't hesitate to ask further questions.

      Jeff
    • Dwight C. Carr
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
        I have been trying to set up lists which gave me this
        ability using outliners, etc... I can't express how
        really glad I am to have discovered this. My palm
        memo's just got turbo charged. I guess I'll have to
        download pEdit now.

        Thanks,
        Dwight...
        --- Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:
        > Hi Dwight:
        >
        > # I just can't figure out what the "# lines ..."
        > means in pSort.
        >
        > The symbol "#" means the word "number". A field is
        > usually a word. A column
        > is usually a letter.
        >
        > pedit is a stupid thing
        > so is LapTopHack
        >
        > Sorting this with "# if skipped fields" = 2
        >
        > will sort according to the words "a" and
        > "LapTopHack". OK now?
        >
        > Best regards, Paul
        >
        > P.S. Use Google with the words "sort skip field" and
        > you get plenty of help.

      • Dwight C. Carr
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
          I have only one more thing to add. In your spare
          time, you should put together a practical guide to
          using pToolSet, pEdit, ... or does one already exist?

          Thanks Again,

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
            # I have only one more thing to add. In your spare time, you should put
            # together a practical guide to using pToolSet, pEdit, ... or does one
            # already exist?

            I will do that happily if you want me to suspend working on pToolSet, pedit,
            etc. I am sure I could do that if I had a few, say five, months available
            when there is no need to concentrate on trying to work on items requested by
            the users. My ToDo list has only about 1,000 entries anyway. Best regards,
            Paul
          • Dwight C. Carr
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
              That's why I said "spare time". It's a joke. Anyway,
              great product and, sincerely, thanks for your support.

              Dwight...

              --- Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:
              > # I have only one more thing to add. In your spare
              > time, you should put
              > # together a practical guide to using pToolSet,
              > pEdit, ... or does one
              > # already exist?
              >
              > I will do that happily if you want me to suspend
              > working on pToolSet, pedit,
              > etc. I am sure I could do that if I had a few, say
              > five, months available
              > when there is no need to concentrate on trying to
              > work on items requested by
              > the users. My ToDo list has only about 1,000 entries
              > anyway. Best regards,
              > Paul

            • John Kershaw
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                At 10:09 pm -0800 2/3/04, Dwight C. Carr wrote:
                >That's why I said "spare time". It's a joke. Anyway,
                >great product and, sincerely, thanks for your support.
                >
                >Dwight...

                Dwight,

                Would you fancy creating that guide yourself?

                The peditors.com website is editable by anyone who wishes to
                contribute. If you'd like to create/oversee such a practical guide
                you can go right ahead and do it! I for one would love such a guide -
                I've only understand a fraction of what pToolSet can do and haven't
                the time/energy to properly digest Paul's excellent but rather
                technical documentation.

                http://www.peditors.com

                There's already the bare bones of a LapTopHack guide, but since LTH
                is 'old technology' nobody's really followed it up.

                John.
                01274 581519 / 07944 755613
                john@... / http://www.kershaw.org
                AOL johnkershaw / Y! & MSN john_m_kershaw