RE: [peditors] lost memos

  • Doug Jacobs
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2004
      Thank you very much. I'll try it.
      Doug

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Paul Nevai [mailto:nevai@...-state.edu]
      Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 1:56 PM
      To: peditors@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [peditors] lost memos

      # I inadvertently deleted a memo (actually a couple of them). I have a
      # back-up file on a card, and have hot-synced so they should be on my
      # computer. Can someone tell me how to retrieve them?

      I would do the BRUTE FORCE method. Make a duplicate of the back-up, open up
      the duplicate with any text editor and then copy out the deleted stuff from
      it. This is the easiest method. I use it all the time. Best regards, Paul

      pedit and pScripting pTutorial at http://home.att.net/~leehauser/ptutor
      Latest pedit/LapTophack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
      pedit/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • lufades
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2004
        Hello,

        Any advice will be welcome,

        I prepare myself to upgrade to OS 5 - Tungsten E from a Palm IIIxe OS 3.5.3
        Should I clean all Hacks and diverses pre OS 5 stuff from my desktop backup before
        the first HotSync w/ the new devices or should I do the clean up after the first
        HotSync directly on the T/E?

        Thank you for any help, I am a bit confused in that situation,

        Luc
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
          # Any advice will be welcome, I prepare myself to upgrade to OS 5 - Tungsten
          # E from a Palm IIIxe OS 3.5.3 Should I clean all Hacks and diverses pre OS 5
          # stuff from my desktop backup before the first HotSync w/ the new devices or
          # should I do the clean up after the first HotSync directly on the T/E?

          First you DUPLICATE your backup folder, then you do a cleaner upper job in
          it, then you HotSync. You keep the DUPLICATE folder, or DUPLICATE of the
          DUPLICATE, for the rest of your life in a safe place, preferably on another
          continent. Good luck. Well, you don't need luck if you follow above
          advice. /Paul
        • Jeffrey A. Krzysztow
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
            If you heavily use third party programs that utilize the built in
            databases, you may wish to make sure they are updated to work well with
            the fact that the E and T3 have new versions of these databases as well
            as the original version and there is some attempt (which does not always
            work) to keep them in sync.

            Jeffrey A. Krzysztow

            lufades said the following on 1/6/2004 9:19 PM:

            >Hello,
            >
            >Any advice will be welcome,
            >
            >I prepare myself to upgrade to OS 5 - Tungsten E from a Palm IIIxe OS 3.5.3
            >Should I clean all Hacks and diverses pre OS 5 stuff from my desktop backup before
            >the first HotSync w/ the new devices or should I do the clean up after the first
            >HotSync directly on the T/E?
            >
            >Thank you for any help, I am a bit confused in that situation,
            >
            >Luc
            >

            >pedit and pScripting pTutorial at http://home.att.net/~leehauser/ptutor
            >Latest pedit/LapTophack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
            >pedit/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >To visit your group on the web, go to:

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Daniel Bergman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
              A good example is DateBk5. In the versions that were out around when the
              T|E was released the desktop sync worked only one way. This has been fixed
              by now though, among with many other device specific bugs.

              /Daniel

              --On 2004-01-07 15:44 -0600 "Jeffrey A. Krzysztow"