one more SOS with my Windows XP...

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29 6:52 AM
      Hi Guys:

      Maybe you heard of this...

      The Recovery Console in my Windows XP is not accepting my Administrator
      password.

      NOTE. No cap locks, etc. If Windows XP is running, my pwd works. The problem
      occurs only in the Recovery Console mode.

      Any ideas or pointers?

      BTW, the more I know about Windows the more and the LESS I like it [sic -
      both].

      Best regards, Paul
    • Tony Pace
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29 7:42 AM
        Hello Paul,

        PN> Hi Guys:

        PN> Maybe you heard of this...

        PN> The Recovery Console in my Windows XP is not accepting my Administrator
        PN> password.

        PN> NOTE. No cap locks, etc. If Windows XP is running, my pwd works. The problem
        PN> occurs only in the Recovery Console mode.

        PN> Any ideas or pointers?

        PN> BTW, the more I know about Windows the more and the LESS I like it [sic -
        PN> both].

        PN> Best regards, Paul

        This is (mostly) a Dell issue. They don't like you to use the recovery
        Console as as they're afraid you'll screw things up and cost them
        money.

        Go here for a step by step fix - step 3 is insulting.

        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;308402&

        This is an alternate fix, simpler, less secure:

        http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=42232
      • Wayne A. Arthurton
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29 7:56 AM
          This is hyper nasty.
          It works great though.

          It is a linux boot disc that allows you to change the passwords of any
          locally stored account on Windows (NT,2000,XP). (eg Local Admin)

          I have used this many, many, many times without a problem, but it has
          always worked for me w/o problems.
          BUT.......
          It could cause you a problem.

          http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29 12:59 PM
            # http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;308402&

            Yes, Tony, that's exactly what I have [+ a Dell]. Many thanks, Paul
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29 1:06 PM
              # Go here for a step by step fix - step 3 is insulting.
              #
              # http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;308402&

              No Tony, it's not insulting. I think I found the right word for it: chutzpah.
              A classic case of it. In fact, it could be used as a dictionary illustration
              of the word. Best regards, Paul

              P.S. I wish I could say this doesn't happen in the Mac universe but, alas,
              I'd be lying.
            • John Carter
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 11, 2003
                --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne A. Arthurton"
                <warthurton@a...> wrote:
                > This is hyper nasty.
                > It works great though.
                >
                > It is a linux boot disc that allows you to change the passwords of
                any
                > locally stored account on Windows (NT,2000,XP). (eg Local Admin)
                >
                > I have used this many, many, many times without a problem, but it
                has
                > always worked for me w/o problems.
                > It could cause you a problem.
                >
                > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

                I've had no problems using it on Dell laptops (7000, 7500, and 4100).