Re: [peditors] LTH escape key on M515

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2003
      # I upgraded from my Vx to an M515 and UltraThin keyboard, and now the
      # default LTH key does not work, and I am having to use '?'. This works, but
      # is obviously used rather more than the default. Is this know about, and if
      # so, what am I doing wrong. I am using V5.99d, so it may be that it has
      # been fixed in later versions. This may be the push to upgrading that I
      # need!

      The "ESC" key was never broken in LapTopHack so that I have no idea why it
      would not work in your LapTopHack. What happens when you type "`" in,
      say, MemoPad? Best regards, Paul
    • Sander Roosendaal
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2003
        --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Mark Browne <yahoo1@k...> wrote:

        > I haven't kept up with the list for ages, so I am sorry if this has

        > already been dealt with, but...

        > I upgraded from my Vx to an M515 and UltraThin keyboard, and now the

        > default LTH key does not work, and I am having to use '?'. This
        works,

        > but is obviously used rather more than the default. Is this know
        about,

        > and if so, what am I doing wrong.

        1 - Did you download the latest keyboard driver for your M515 from
        PalmOne?

        2 - To type ` you need to type "Blue Fn+` ". I changed the esc key to
        ' to avoid this. You could also use / which is nicely positioned n the
        keyboard. I use it for pToDoTool, pDateTool, etc. Another nice
        candidate may be "Japanese Yen", which can be typed with two fingers
        of your right hand quite easily.
      • Mark Browne
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 8, 2003
          In message <200310062049.h96Knho07906@...-state.edu>, Paul Nevai
          <nevai@...-state.edu> writes
          ># I upgraded from my Vx to an M515 and UltraThin keyboard, and now the
          ># default LTH key does not work, and I am having to use '?'. This works, but
          ># is obviously used rather more than the default. Is this know about, and if
          ># so, what am I doing wrong. I am using V5.99d, so it may be that it has
          ># been fixed in later versions. This may be the push to upgrading that I
          ># need!
          >
          >The "ESC" key was never broken in LapTopHack so that I have no idea why it
          >would not work in your LapTopHack. What happens when you type "`" in,
          >say, MemoPad? Best regards, Paul

          I am using the "`" key as ESC in pEdit, so it takes two presses to
          appear, but it does so correctly. In MemoPad it displays "`"
          immediately.

          The problem is an odd one. If I set the LapTopHack ESC to "\", it still
          does not work. Searching a little further, it looks as if any character
          accessed via a Function key does not correctly launch LapTopHack,
          although they work as ESC keys inside pEdit. Therefore I suspect that
          the keyboard driver is doing things differently. If you can suggest a
          work around that would allow this to work, it would be helpful.
          --
          Mark Browne
          The one thing that they REALLY couldn't stand... was a smartarse
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 8, 2003
            In message <bltn4f+egon@...>, Sander Roosendaal
            <sander.roosendaal@...> writes
            >--- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Mark Browne <yahoo1@k...> wrote:
            >> I haven't kept up with the list for ages, so I am sorry if this has
            >> already been dealt with, but...
            >>
            >> I upgraded from my Vx to an M515 and UltraThin keyboard, and now the
            >> default LTH key does not work, and I am having to use '?'. This
            >works,
            >> but is obviously used rather more than the default. Is this know
            >about,
            >> and if so, what am I doing wrong.
            >>

            >1 - Did you download the latest keyboard driver for your M515 from
            >PalmOne?

            I did have version 1.9.2, but I have just downloaded V2.0. Unfortunately
            it has not made any difference.

            >2 - To type ` you need to type "Blue Fn+` ". I changed the esc key to
            >' to avoid this. You could also use / which is nicely positioned n the
            >keyboard. I use it for pToDoTool, pDateTool, etc. Another nice
            >candidate may be "Japanese Yen", which can be typed with two fingers
            >of your right hand quite easily.

            For pEdit, using "`" works fine, but LTH does not see it.
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 8, 2003
              #
              # >2 - To type ` you need to type "Blue Fn+` ". I changed the esc key to
              # >' to avoid this. You could also use / which is nicely positioned n the
              # >keyboard. I use it for pToDoTool, pDateTool, etc. Another nice
              # >candidate may be "Japanese Yen", which can be typed with two fingers
              # >of your right hand quite easily.
              #
              # For pEdit, using "`" works fine, but LTH does not see it.

              You could use my EventAnalyzerHack to see what the Palm sees after the
              keyboard input. That could explain a lot. Use it both with and w/o
              LapTopHack. Activate it and then see what happens when you type.

              Also, what if you assign different ESC keys. Experiment. Since I don't have
              the keyboard, I can guess only.

              BTW, there has never been a keyboard which disallowed LapTopHack, pToolSet,
              and pedit ESC keys. Keyboard drivers may cause some problems but never of
              this type. You may need to activate the keyboard driver before or after
              LapTopHack. That may be essential. Your hack manager may be buggy or
              obsolete. I am just guessing.

              Best regards, Paul
            • Mark Browne
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 14, 2003
                In message <200310082246.h98MkJE08692@...-state.edu>, Paul Nevai
                <nevai@...-state.edu> writes
                ># I did have version 1.9.2, but I have just downloaded V2.0. Unfortunately
                ># it has not made any difference.
                >#
                ># >2 - To type ` you need to type "Blue Fn+` ". I changed the esc key to
                ># >' to avoid this. You could also use / which is nicely positioned n the
                ># >keyboard. I use it for pToDoTool, pDateTool, etc. Another nice
                ># >candidate may be "Japanese Yen", which can be typed with two fingers
                ># >of your right hand quite easily.
                >#
                ># For pEdit, using "`" works fine, but LTH does not see it.
                >
                >You could use my EventAnalyzerHack to see what the Palm sees after the
                >keyboard input. That could explain a lot. Use it both with and w/o
                >LapTopHack. Activate it and then see what happens when you type.

                Downloaded and in use. Initial problems with enabling it, as it does
                not see the keyboard "`" key :) Enabled it using Graffiti. Onwards...

                With The LTH ESC key set to "\", which is accessed by Blue FN+"/", the
                sequence is: keyDownEvent ASCII "\" = 0x005C

                With The LTH ESC key set to "/", which needs no function key, the
                sequence is: keyDownEvent ASCII "/" = 0x002F, LTH starts.

                Note that the either ESC key (or the default) works when used as the
                pEdit ESC key. It is LTH (and EventAnalyserHack) that is missing it. Is
                this perhaps a Hack problem?

                >Also, what if you assign different ESC keys. Experiment. Since I don't have
                >the keyboard, I can guess only.

                See above, and also - If I use "\" as the LTH ESC key, in pEdit this
                just prints up on the screen.

                >BTW, there has never been a keyboard which disallowed LapTopHack, pToolSet,
                >and pedit ESC keys. Keyboard drivers may cause some problems but never of
                >this type. You may need to activate the keyboard driver before or after
                >LapTopHack. That may be essential.

                I have tried it, and aside from the need to enable EventAnalyserHack
                (ESC .) after plugging in the keyboard (or pressing a key started
                HotSync) all worked the same.

                >Your hack manager may be buggy or
                >obsolete.

                I am using X-Master, so I believe that it should be OK.

                > I am just guessing.

                Thanks for your guesses - Keep them coming.
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 16, 2003
                  Dear Mark:

                  # With The LTH ESC key set to "\", which is accessed by Blue FN+"/", the
                  # sequence is: keyDownEvent ASCII "\" = 0x005C

                  I think I know what's the problem but I am not sure I want to fix it. When
                  using the function key, the keyDownEvent also contains another piece of info
                  which means that the char is not a regular char but something like a
                  command. On the other hand, there is nothing special about "\" so LapTopHack
                  "demands" that the ESC key should be just an ordinary Joe. Since it ain't, it
                  ignores it.

                  Do I make sense?

                  The more I think about it the less I want to fix it. If I allowed "fancy" ESC
                  chars, it could lead to disaster.

                  Best regards, Paul
                • lufades
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 16, 2003
                    Found it today on yahoogroup-PalmCanada

                    Luc

                    Translated by http://babelfish.altavista.com/

                    (Note: As you will notice, this is a very basic translater.)

                    ZDNet France

                    Monday October 13, 2003

                    A technical problem, not yet elucidated, affecting the last PDA
                    Tungsten T3 is at the origin of serious complications on the memory
                    boards of the type "Secure DIGITAL". Palm could be brought to point
                    out all the T3 sold in the world. Tungsten T3, the personal last
                    assisting professional range of the American manufacturer Palm Inc,
                    knows some preoccupations with a technical incompatibility with the
                    expander cards to the format Secure DIGITAL (SD).

                    "With certain charts SD, there is a risk which the data are
                    unobtrusive and which the re-use of this storage medium is then
                    impossible", a spokesman of Palm France indicated to us. No detail
                    is yet available on the models of charts concerned.

                    "It acts of a problem affecting all apparatuses [ T3 ] marketed in
                    the world", from its exit on October 1, it specified us, without
                    being able to indicate the number of units sold to date.

                    "We are still in period of investigation and invite all our
                    customers who meet this type of concern to contact our technical
                    support", it continues responsible.

                    Palm thus wishes to determine if it acts of an incompatibility of a
                    software nature, which could be corrected remotely by downloading an
                    update, or of a material problem, which would then involve probably
                    a technical recall of the marketed apparatuses.

                    Available in France, as in the other areas of the world, since the
                    beginning of October, Tungsten T3 offers a port of extension also
                    compatible with the charts of the type MMC (Multi-media Card). It is
                    thus for the moment highly advised to use these last in the place of
                    charts SD.
                  • Mark Browne
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 19, 2003
                      In message <200310161349.h9GDnCt25866@...-state.edu>, Paul Nevai
                      <nevai@...-state.edu> writes
                      >Dear Mark:
                      >
                      ># With The LTH ESC key set to "\", which is accessed by Blue FN+"/", the
                      ># sequence is: keyDownEvent ASCII "\" = 0x005C
                      >
                      >I think I know what's the problem but I am not sure I want to fix it. When
                      >using the function key, the keyDownEvent also contains another piece of info
                      >which means that the char is not a regular char but something like a
                      >command. On the other hand, there is nothing special about "\" so LapTopHack
                      >"demands" that the ESC key should be just an ordinary Joe. Since it ain't, it
                      >ignores it.
                      >
                      >Do I make sense?

                      Yes.

                      >The more I think about it the less I want to fix it. If I allowed "fancy" ESC
                      >chars, it could lead to disaster.

                      It is a pity, but it is not too important. Thanks for looking into it.