Re: DOC conversion software for Mac OS X?

  • alernhartbe
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
      I am also using isiloX for doc conversion which is a very convenient
      way to get longer documents into the palm.
      There is an interesting side effect, though, regarding further use
      with pedit:
      to my experience, peditpro will only import doc files which
      have "REAd" as document creator when looked at in a file manager;
      but isiloX (and Handstory, for that matter) give another creator
      label.
      If I want to import these files into pedit, I therefore manually
      change the document creator label to REAd via a file manager (filez
      in my case), which is rather tedious.
      An alternative method is to open the file on the palm in quickword
      and export it to doc format (in which it existed before!), then it
      gets the document creator label which will make the doc file
      recognisable by pedit. This method is time consuming as well.
      In both cases, the document as such is not changed, just the document
      creator label ...
      Do I miss a simpler method ?
      Or can the restriction on pedit imports of doc files to those with
      a "REAd" document creator label perhaps be corrected in a later
      version?
      Regards
      Andreas

      --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey A. Krzysztow" <yahoo@b...>
      wrote:
      > John,
      >
      > I never realized iSiloX could create plain Doc files. Been a user
      for years.

      > Jeffrey A. Krzysztow
      >
      > John Kershaw said the following on 8/30/03 3:48 AM:
      >
      > >At 5:32 am +0000 30/8/03, Rodney Topor wrote:
      > >

      > >>Can anyone advise me of the existence of desktop software for (a)
      > >>converting text files to DOC files under Mac OS X and (b)
      converting
      > >>DOC files to text files under Mac OS X. MkTlDoc does the first
      > >>conversion, but it is very old and requires the use of Mac OS
      Classic

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
        # I am also using isiloX for doc conversion which is a very convenient way to
        # get longer documents into the palm. There is an interesting side effect,
        # though, regarding further use with pedit: to my experience, peditpro will
        # only import doc files which have "REAd" as document creator when looked at
        # in a file manager; but isiloX (and Handstory, for that matter) give another
        # creator label. If I want to import these files into pedit, I therefore
        # manually change the document creator label to REAd via a file manager
        # (filez in my case), which is rather tedious.

        pedit also converts TealDoc DOC files. Regarding isiloX, blame isiloX. They
        decided to ignore/change the rules. Maybe they use a different compression
        scheme and that's why they changed the creator? I am not sure. No matter
        what, pedit considers as DOC only the "classic" and the TealDoc DOC files.
        Fair, isn't it? Best regards, Paul

        P.S. Your message was identified as SPAM by spamAssassin. I wonder why.
      • Rodney Topor
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
          wrote:
          > Rodney,
          >
          > Paul beat me too it!
          >
          > Just go to http://pilotdocj.sf.net/ and get the Mac OS X version

          PilorDocJ looks like it will be perfect for my simple purposes.
          Thanks guys.

          Rodney
        • Jeffrey A. Krzysztow
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2003
            Rodney,

            If you need any help, just ask!

            Jeffrey A. Krzysztow

            Rodney Topor said the following on 9/1/03 6:05 PM:

            >--- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey A. Krzysztow" <yahoo@b...>
            >wrote:
            >

            >>Rodney,
            >>
            >>Paul beat me too it!
            >>
            >>Just go to http://pilotdocj.sf.net/ and get the Mac OS X version
            >>

            >PilorDocJ looks like it will be perfect for my simple purposes.
            >Thanks guys.
            >
            >Rodney

          • Jan Erik Moström
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
              Rodney Topor <r.topor@...> (2003-08-30 05:32) wrote:

              > (a)
              > converting text files to DOC files under Mac OS X and (b) converting
              > DOC files to text files under Mac OS X. MkTlDoc does the first
              > conversion, but it is very old and requires the use of Mac OS Classic
              > (which I otherwise no longer use) under Mac OS X. And I don't know of
              > any software for the DOC to text conversion. (I understand I can
              > apply a text editor to the Memo32DB.pdb file, but this is a hack.)

              Sorry about the late answer, but for (b) you could try MPC
              <http://www.mootjelitt.com/mpc.html>. The current version only converts
              from Palm to OS X but who knows what the future will bring.

              jem
              --
              Jan Erik Moström jem@... www.mostrom.pp.se