Re: [peditors] DOC conversion software for Mac OS X?

  • John Kershaw
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2003
      At 5:10 am -0400 31/8/03, Paul Nevai wrote:
      ># Which reminds me, how come pedit's DOC export can't do compression? QED
      ># can... (my dad's bigger than your dad, etc)
      >
      >Compression is time consuming. Take a large DOC file and decompress/compress
      >it. Time it. Do you see the difference? Best regards, Paul

      Searching Les Miserables for 'donkey' with grep turned on is
      time-consuming. When was that ever a reason to not implement a
      feature?

      ;)

      John.
      01274 581519 / 07944 755613
      john@... / http://www.kershaw.org
      AOL johnkershaw / Y! & MSN john_m_kershaw
    • alernhartbe
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
        I am also using isiloX for doc conversion which is a very convenient
        way to get longer documents into the palm.
        There is an interesting side effect, though, regarding further use
        with pedit:
        to my experience, peditpro will only import doc files which
        have "REAd" as document creator when looked at in a file manager;
        but isiloX (and Handstory, for that matter) give another creator
        label.
        If I want to import these files into pedit, I therefore manually
        change the document creator label to REAd via a file manager (filez
        in my case), which is rather tedious.
        An alternative method is to open the file on the palm in quickword
        and export it to doc format (in which it existed before!), then it
        gets the document creator label which will make the doc file
        recognisable by pedit. This method is time consuming as well.
        In both cases, the document as such is not changed, just the document
        creator label ...
        Do I miss a simpler method ?
        Or can the restriction on pedit imports of doc files to those with
        a "REAd" document creator label perhaps be corrected in a later
        version?
        Regards
        Andreas

        --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey A. Krzysztow" <yahoo@b...>
        wrote:
        > John,
        >
        > I never realized iSiloX could create plain Doc files. Been a user
        for years.

        > Jeffrey A. Krzysztow
        >
        > John Kershaw said the following on 8/30/03 3:48 AM:
        >
        > >At 5:32 am +0000 30/8/03, Rodney Topor wrote:
        > >

        > >>Can anyone advise me of the existence of desktop software for (a)
        > >>converting text files to DOC files under Mac OS X and (b)
        converting
        > >>DOC files to text files under Mac OS X. MkTlDoc does the first
        > >>conversion, but it is very old and requires the use of Mac OS
        Classic

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
          # I am also using isiloX for doc conversion which is a very convenient way to
          # get longer documents into the palm. There is an interesting side effect,
          # though, regarding further use with pedit: to my experience, peditpro will
          # only import doc files which have "REAd" as document creator when looked at
          # in a file manager; but isiloX (and Handstory, for that matter) give another
          # creator label. If I want to import these files into pedit, I therefore
          # manually change the document creator label to REAd via a file manager
          # (filez in my case), which is rather tedious.

          pedit also converts TealDoc DOC files. Regarding isiloX, blame isiloX. They
          decided to ignore/change the rules. Maybe they use a different compression
          scheme and that's why they changed the creator? I am not sure. No matter
          what, pedit considers as DOC only the "classic" and the TealDoc DOC files.
          Fair, isn't it? Best regards, Paul

          P.S. Your message was identified as SPAM by spamAssassin. I wonder why.
        • Rodney Topor
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
            wrote:
            > Rodney,
            >
            > Paul beat me too it!
            >
            > Just go to http://pilotdocj.sf.net/ and get the Mac OS X version

            PilorDocJ looks like it will be perfect for my simple purposes.
            Thanks guys.

            Rodney
          • Jeffrey A. Krzysztow
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2003
              Rodney,

              If you need any help, just ask!

              Jeffrey A. Krzysztow

              Rodney Topor said the following on 9/1/03 6:05 PM:

              >--- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey A. Krzysztow" <yahoo@b...>
              >wrote:
              >

              >>Rodney,
              >>
              >>Paul beat me too it!
              >>
              >>Just go to http://pilotdocj.sf.net/ and get the Mac OS X version
              >>

              >PilorDocJ looks like it will be perfect for my simple purposes.
              >Thanks guys.
              >
              >Rodney

            • Jan Erik Moström
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
                Rodney Topor <r.topor@...> (2003-08-30 05:32) wrote:

                > (a)
                > converting text files to DOC files under Mac OS X and (b) converting
                > DOC files to text files under Mac OS X. MkTlDoc does the first
                > conversion, but it is very old and requires the use of Mac OS Classic
                > (which I otherwise no longer use) under Mac OS X. And I don't know of
                > any software for the DOC to text conversion. (I understand I can
                > apply a text editor to the Memo32DB.pdb file, but this is a hack.)

                Sorry about the late answer, but for (b) you could try MPC
                <http://www.mootjelitt.com/mpc.html>. The current version only converts
                from Palm to OS X but who knows what the future will bring.

                jem
                --
                Jan Erik Moström jem@... www.mostrom.pp.se