Re: Conversion headaches (was 'unknown')

  • seigel@ieee.org
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
      Christopher,

      We working on some tutorials to get new users up to speed more
      quickly. It is a great program!! VERRRY Deep...so it will grow with
      you but it also performs very well until you can learn more and more
      of its features.

      Hang in there! Pound me with questions if you get lost!! It will
      help our tutorial grow as well.

      Cheers
      James.

      --- In peditors@egroups.com, "Christopher Edwards"
      <chrisedwards@m...>
      wrote:
      > Apologies to Paul for misinterpreting the manual. Thanks for your
      > clarification (below).
      >
      > I'm evaluating peditPro. I have to say that the manual is so
      thoroughly,
      > well, thorough, and the application so complex that I am tempted to
      go with
      > TakeNote or SmartDoc and get back to work. I find learning about
      pedit to
      > be confusing and time-consuming. Can anyone talk me out of going
      for these
      > other, simpler programs instead?
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > Message: 10
      > Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 14:26:57 -0400 (EDT)
      > From: Paul Nevai <nevai@m...>
      > Subject: Re: (unknown)
      >
      > # files, although they go by the same name. Go figure.). The
      manual
      > # recommends buying an app like Aportis to make the conversion,
      then
      talks
      > # about the problems of using Aportis!!!
      >
      > You are kidiing! Please quote the part of the manual where Paul
      recommends
      > buying Aportis to make the conversion? If he indeed said so he
      deserves to
      > be
      > deported to Aporteria. Best regards, Paul
      >
      > http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/palm/pedit_man.html
      >
      > P.S. What Paul recommends is a free doc conversion utility made by
      3rd
      > party which happens to be available via Aportis.
    • Chad Nelson
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
        > I'm evaluating peditPro. I have to say that the manual is so thoroughly,
        > well, thorough, and the application so complex that I am tempted to go with
        > TakeNote or SmartDoc and get back to work. I find learning about pedit to
        > be confusing and time-consuming. Can anyone talk me out of going for these
        > other, simpler programs instead?

        I started with SmartDoc -- an excellent program, but it appears it's not being upgraded anymore, and there were some annoying (though minor) bugs.

        First of all, don't try to master everything. It takes more time than it's worth, IMHO. Just start with what you need, and return to the manual when you need something new. Eventually you'll have all the features you want.

        -- Chad Nelson
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
          # I started with SmartDoc -- an excellent program, but it appears it's not
          # being upgraded anymore, and there were some annoying (though minor) bugs.

          So did I when it came out. Initially the authors for responsive to my bug
          reports and suggestions. Then it was sold to another company. Some annoying
          bugs remained. My wishes were no longer honored. So I started pedit. End of
          the story [or should I say "start of the story"].

          Best regards, Paul [pedit: http://home.columbus.rr.com/nevai/palm/ ]
        • harveygatlin@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
            My 2 cents is be sure to stay with peditPro vs. pedit. pedit and
            pedit32 both have arguments in their behalfs; so for the cost
            difference, get peditPro which has both pedit and pedit32
            capabilities.

            I echo the other contributors' sentiments on complexity. I sure use
            Windows a lot and barely have the concept of window handles down.

            Finally, be sure you do a full evaluation. Do you simply need to
            type more than 4K on a document? If so, another editor may work.
            For me, I need to jump, select, set markers, paste selections and
            other activities on any document. Oops, I even had to do some
            editing on this! :-)

            <chrisedwards@m...> wrote:
            > Apologies to Paul for misinterpreting the manual. Thanks for your
            > clarification (below).
            >
            > I'm evaluating peditPro ...
          • Margret M Rosenberg
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
              Forget about the manual. (And this is the editor speaking!) Just use
              the program. If there's something you want to do and don't know how,
              then check the manual.

              You don't have to "know" a program thoroughly in order to use it and like
              it. And, valuable as it is to have a manual, the best way to get to know
              a program is simply to use it.

              Margret

              On Sun, 1 Oct 2000 22:28:21 -0400 "Christopher Edwards"
              <chrisedwards@...> writes:
              > I'm evaluating peditPro. I have to say that the manual is so
              > thoroughly,
              > well, thorough, and the application so complex that I am tempted to
              > go with
              > TakeNote or SmartDoc and get back to work. I find learning about
              > pedit to
              > be confusing and time-consuming. Can anyone talk me out of going
              > for these
              > other, simpler programs instead?
              >
              > Chris
            • Dirk Spackman
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
                peditPro is to TakeNote or SmartDoc like Wordperfect 2000 is to Notepad in
                Windoze. If you only use the readily apparent features in peditPro, it is so
                much better than Memopad or TakeNote/SmartDoc for taking notes. Don't be
                intimidated by the multitude of features. When I started using peditPro I
                just used the pull down menus and as I used it more and more and read the
                threads on the forum I started to understand all the other features. I now
                use about 20% of what is available but am learning all the time. That is one
                of the fun and useful things about it, it keeps you interested. Another BIG
                advantage to peditPro is Paul himself. His readiness to implement bug fixes
                (when there are any) and new features is unprecedented with any program I
                have ever used. Stick with peditPro. You won't be disappointed. Dirk
                Spackman [:o)