Re: Encryption compatibility problem

  • guanxi_i
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2003
      Yaakov,

      That's the kind of info I was hoping for, though I was very careful in
      my tests to use only these functions: /z (select all), the 'c' button
      (copy), and the 'p' button (paste).

      But perhaps pedit does something behind the scenes, such as to tabls?
      non-ascii values? End-of-line? End-of-record? ???

      Thanks!

      --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Yaakov Shlafman <shlaf@y...> wrote:
      > I am not sure whether my experience is relevant to your problem, but
      I once
      > used a similar (I suppose) encryption utility, ReadIt!, which kept
      encrypted
      > data in Memo-pad entries, marked with special delimiters. When
      tapping the
      > encoded area of the text, Readit! would intercept the tap event and
      would
      > prompt for password, then it would decode the text and redisplay it.
      So far so
      > good. The problem with this scheme is that certain application may
      modify the
      > text contents without the user tapping on it with stylus. For me
      the disaster
      > occurred when I used pedit's "v" button. This command will
      "visualize" the
      > text by physically replacing newlines with paragraph marks and
      spaces with
      > middle dots. The same command applied again will make the reverse
      replacement.
      > However, if the initial text contained middle dots or paragraph
      symbols, you
      > get them replaced with spaces/newlines for good. Which means doing
      "v" twice
      > corrupts encoded text.
      >
      > We didn't have Lock Memo functionality at the moment, so I had no way to
      > protect my data against accidental tapping on the "v" button, and
      therefore I
      > decided to drop ReadIt!.
      >
      > I now keep my security sensitive data in a separate database under
      Secret!
      > application.
      >
      > I am not sure if CCrypt is equally sensitive to this scenario, but
      anyway I'd
      > suggest checking if that could be the reason of the corruption.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Yaakov.
      >

      > --- Jeff Roule <jroule@r...> wrote:
      > > My setup/hardware is different, so this may not mean anything, but
      I do not
      > > see this problem. I'm using pEditPro 6.60 and CCrypt 2.61 on a
      Palm Tungsten
      > > C (OS 5.2.1), and I have tested this scenario on a Sony Clie NX70V
      (OS 5.0),
      > > and it works fine. I've even beamed memos from one PDA to the
      other, in both
      > > directions, with no problems. I'm using Palm Desktop 4.1 and
      HotSync version
      > > 4.1.0 on Win XP Pro. Are you certain you are not using another
      application
      > > the accesses/modifies the memo database on the PDA?
      > >
      > > Jeff
      > >
      > > On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 07:56:44 -0700 (PDT), guanxi wrote:
      > > >Hello,
      > > >
      > > >I'm having trouble identifying the cause of this problem, so I'm
      > > >hoping
      > > >that someone with an intimate knowledge of pedit, might be able to
      > > >help.
      > > >
      > > >I use CCrypt, a useful GPL'd program that encrypts/decrypts text (see
      > > >mikemccollister.com/palm). Unfortunately, it seems something on my
      > > >Palm changes the encrypted data, making it impossible to decrypt and
      > > >effectively deleting it.
      > > >
      > > >The most likely culprit is pedit (only because there's no other
      > > >suspects besides Hotsync), my default memo app. Does pedit add or
      > > >remove any bytes -- even non-ASCII values -- under any conditions?
      > > >CCrypt's developer suggested that some Memo Pad replacements strip
      > > >some
      > > >non-ASCII values.
      > > >
      > > >I can't reliably reproduce the problem, so I'm having trouble
      > > >narrowing
      > > >down the cause. It seems to occur after a couple of Hotsync's, but
      > > >I'm
      > > >not sure if there is any cause-and-effect since I Hotsync all the
      > > >time.
      > > >

      > > >Here's my system:
      > > >
      > > >Kyocera SmartPhone 6035 (Palm & Phone combo)
      > > >Palm OS 3.5.3
      > > >Palm Desktop 4.1 on WinXP
      > > >pedit 6.35
      > > >CCrypt 2.61
      > > >

      > > >Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

    • guanxi_i
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2003
        Does pedit do anything different with tabs or other formatting? See
        below:

        An UPDATE:

        One Memo record I've tested appears unaffected by the problem. At
        least, it's not yet affected after 3 days, and the error has always
        appeared within 1 day.

        Another that I encrypted last night *is* affected by the error.

        The only differences between them that I can think of:

        - Length: Clean record (i.e. unaffected by bug) is a couple
        paragraphs. Buggy record is much longer.

        - Formatting: Clean record has only <return>'s. Buggy record is a
        mess copied from WordPerfect via Notepad, and probably has tabs and
        other things buried in there.

        The problem isn't the WordPerfect source: The error has occured with
        text that was created in Memo Pad and pedit.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2003
          # Does pedit do anything different with tabs or other formatting? See
          # below:

          Nope. pedit does nothing unusual. However, if there is a '\0' [null-char]
          then pedit throws away the rest - this is normal. A Palm OS function does it
          - FldCompact().