Re: Being Lured to the Dark Side

  • Matthew Newby
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 6:25 AM
      On 1 Apr 2003 peditors@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > Message: 6
      > Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:58:37 -0900
      > From: "Chris Lott" <chris@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Being Lured to the Dark Side

      > So I am trying to balance these factors. To give you some idea, emacs is my
      > favorite desktop editor... so of course pedit is my best friend on Palm. I
      > have yet to find anything similar on the pocketPC devices, which may be my
      > only reason for sticking with the Palm at all.
      >
      > Oh, and my office and my home are 802.11b wireless, so I want to,
      > eventually, use that capability. PocketPC does seem a bit further along in
      > this respect.

      > --
      > Chris Lott

      One other platform to consider (I don't own one of these, just played with
      someone else's, and boy did I ever develop a severe case of geek-envy!) is
      the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 and SL-5600. See http://www.zaurus.com for
      product details. In brief, the 5500 has a 206MHz StrongArm processor, and
      the 5600 a 400MHz XScale processor. Both have a Linux-based embedded OS,
      Qtopia, and Personal Java, 1 Compact Flash slot and 1 SD slot (this will
      support wireless ethernet needs, as well as leaving room for more memory),
      and a slide-cover accessible thumb keyboard. I didn't get a long time to
      play with it, but it's pretty cool to tap an icon and get a bash prompt.

      I'm sure someone has already compiled a version of emacs for it. If not,
      you can get developer resources (cross compiler, header files, etc.) to do
      it yourself. I know someone has already compiled Apache with PHP support
      (why would you want to run a web server on your PDA? BECAUSE YOU CAN!)

      If you still need to have software that only lives on the Palm, you can
      get QPose and run the Palm emulator on the Zaurus...

      'nuff said... :-)

      -matt

      -----
      Matthew Newby | newby@... | http://www.nobletec.com/~newby/
      Heart, soul, mind, and strength

    • Ian Soboroff
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 8:35 AM
        Matthew Newby <newby@...> writes:

        > One other platform to consider (I don't own one of these, just played with
        > someone else's, and boy did I ever develop a severe case of geek-envy!) is
        > the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 and SL-5600.
        > [...]
        > I'm sure someone has already compiled a version of emacs for it.

        I talked to a friend and peditor (who may be still lurking... hi,
        Andrew?) a couple months ago who had gotten an SL-5500 just for this
        purpose.

        He said that the PIMs were extremely clunky, and you just can't EMACS
        (in the Esc-Meta-Alt-Ctrl-Shift sense) on a thumb keyboard. I don't
        think there are any good external keyboards for the Sharp, so I think
        pedit (+LTH and the keyboard localizer mentioned in the thread) is
        still the best bet.

        ian
      • Mark Srebnik
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2 7:28 AM
          Hi,

          If you're going to go down that road...then check out the new model
          available in Japan...the CL-700...design-wise the best of both worlds...wish
          Sony would make a Clie like this!!

          Size-wise it's deceptive, it's smaller than you think at first glance...

          Check it out at Conics.net < http://shop.conics.net/pda/zaurus-sl-c700/ >
          Website is in English and they sell internationally...

          Also, at Dynamism in the USA at <
          http://www.dynamism.com/zaurus/index.shtml>....

          Mark

          MARK SREBNIK
          ARCHITECT AIA
          Los Altos, CA

          on 4/2/03 2:14 AM, peditors@yahoogroups.com at peditors@yahoogroups.com
          wrote:

          > Message: 1
          > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:25:27 -0500 (EST)
          > From: Matthew Newby <newby@...>
          > Subject: Re: Being Lured to the Dark Side
          >
          > One other platform to consider (I don't own one of these, just played with
          > someone else's, and boy did I ever develop a severe case of geek-envy!) is
          > the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 and SL-5600. See http://www.zaurus.com for
          > product details. In brief, the 5500 has a 206MHz StrongArm processor, and
          > the 5600 a 400MHz XScale processor. Both have a Linux-based embedded OS,
          > Qtopia, and Personal Java, 1 Compact Flash slot and 1 SD slot (this will
          > support wireless ethernet needs, as well as leaving room for more memory),
          > and a slide-cover accessible thumb keyboard. I didn't get a long time to
          > play with it, but it's pretty cool to tap an icon and get a bash prompt.
          >
          > I'm sure someone has already compiled a version of emacs for it. If not,
          > you can get developer resources (cross compiler, header files, etc.) to do
          > it yourself. I know someone has already compiled Apache with PHP support
          > (why would you want to run a web server on your PDA? BECAUSE YOU CAN!)
          >
          > If you still need to have software that only lives on the Palm, you can
          > get QPose and run the Palm emulator on the Zaurus...
          >
          > 'nuff said... :-)
          >
          > -matt
        • docnighthawk
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2 6:55 PM
            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "John Harms" <photojhh@y...> wrote:
            > > From: "Chris Lott" <chris@c...>
            > > ...emacs is my
            > > favorite desktop editor...
            >
            > Chris --
            >
            > Do you use the Palm Portable Keyboard (a.k.a. PPK, Stowaway)? If
            so, do you
            > know about using LTH and pedit

            I was with you up to this point.

            > together with Jonatan Fernstad's Keyboard
            > Localizer for Macros?

            > I used this combination to program my Palm keyboard for the
            > same emacs key assignments I use on the desktop (Ctrl-F for cursor
            > forward, Ctrl-B for cursor back, etc.).
            >
            > If you (or anyone) needs more detail, just let me know.

            I had looked at Keyboard Localizer on PalmGear briefly but missed
            that it was a general purpose keyboard remapper that had been
            developed for with alternate Languages in mind. Or am I still missing
            Keyboard Localizer's niche?

            Peter R.
            "All Accounting is creative"