Re: [peditors] a new web space provider test

  • Teri Pittman
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
      >I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
      >downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
      >good things about Eskimo North. Have you?

      9:28 on my slow dialup. It seemed to download very smoothly and did not
      seem to stall or time out. I believe this is a little faster than the
      usual download.
      Teri Pittman
      tpittman@...
      New and improved site: http://www.xws.com/terispage/
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
        # Well it works, but is nowhere near as fast as OSUWeb. I dl'd from
        # eskimo, then OSUweb, then Eskimo again - all in quick succession to
        # minimize the chance that it was neighborhood cable system loading
        # having an effect. OSUWeb is about 5-8 times faster, based on the
        # transfer rates displayed by IE6. Maybe those OSU students are still
        # lounging around in their PJs while the faculty is already hard at
        # work, so the the server load there is particulalry light!!

        Funny explanation but nope. OSUWeb is not used by student/faculty. OSUWeb
        was set up by the university for private use by the student/faculty and they
        charge you for it. I have no idea how many people use it but the number is
        increasing since many find out that it is more convenient than some other
        commercial ISP providers. The university does a lots of commercial business.
        E.g., I have a personal phone card for personal use from the university [and
        I pay for it from personal funds]. It's not even cheaper than commercial
        cards but it is convenient. E.g., you can pay it automatically from your bank
        account. Also, it is good to know that the profits are used by the university
        and not by some greedy companies. Education is a huge business. Best regards,
        Paul
      • Paolo Amoroso
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
          On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:10:31 -0500 (EST), Paul Nevai wrote:

          > I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
          > downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
          > good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
          >
          > http://www.eskimo.com/~pc/pc_all.zip

          Download performance seems more or less the same, or possibly slightly
          worse, than that of your current site.

          Paolo
          http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
        • Bill McIntyre <bill@victoryfc.org>
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
            Paul,

            I have a DSL connection. The link worked, but was VERY slow.
            Averaged around 9KB/sec.

            Bill McIntyre

            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
            > Hi Guys:
            >
            > I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please
            test
            > downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available?
            I heard
            > good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
            >
            > http://www.eskimo.com/~pc/pc_all.zip
            >
            > BTW, this is the latest BUT not different from the latest released
            > pc_all.zip. Just test the download. No need to install.
            >
            > Best regards, Paul
          • Ray Drew
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
              I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
              downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
              good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
              #

              This is over a 512k ADSL connection

              http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip took 31 secs at 53.8kb/s

              http://www.eskimo.com/~pc/pc_all.zip took 2 minutes 1 sec at 13.7kb/s

              I'm in the UK - should that make a difference?

              Ray

            • Josh Morris <joshsm@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
                --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                > Hi Guys:
                >
                > I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please
                test
                > downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available?

                Eskimo:
                1.62MB in 1 min 53 sec average 14.7 KB/sec

                OSU
                1.62MB in 42 sec average 39.7 KB/sec

                Using Internet Explorer 6 over my work place sDSL line. (I'm not
                sure of the bandwidth, but something around 370kb I believe.)

                Cheers!
                Josh
              • Ray Drew
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
                  I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
                  downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
                  good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
                  #

                  I've tried this twice now at different times - over a 512k ADSL connection.

                  osuweb at 17:58 took 31 secs at 53.8kb/s
                  osuweb at 00:19 took 30 secs at 55.6kb/s

                  eskimo at 17:58 took 2 minutes 1 sec at 13.7kb/s
                  eskimo at 00:19 took 1 minute 58 secs at 14.1kb/s

                  Ray

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2003
                    # I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
                    # downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
                    # good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
                    #
                    # http://www.eskimo.com/~pc/pc_all.zip

                    Thanks, Guys. Your verdict is out and the results are [unfortunately]
                    obvious: Eskimo North is too slow. So despite all the good things I heard of
                    it, I will not use it [but I will ask them about the speed].