Re: a new web space provider test

  • Rob Olian <yg@hpolian.com>
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
      Well it works, but is nowhere near as fast as OSUWeb. I dl'd from
      eskimo, then OSUweb, then Eskimo again - all in quick succession to
      minimize the chance that it was neighborhood cable system loading
      having an effect. OSUWeb is about 5-8 times faster, based on the
      transfer rates displayed by IE6. Maybe those OSU students are still
      lounging around in their PJs while the faculty is already hard at
      work, so the the server load there is particulalry light!!

      --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
      > Hi Guys:
      >
      > I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
      > downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I
    • Teri Pittman
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
        >I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
        >downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
        >good things about Eskimo North. Have you?

        9:28 on my slow dialup. It seemed to download very smoothly and did not
        seem to stall or time out. I believe this is a little faster than the
        usual download.
        Teri Pittman
        tpittman@...
        New and improved site: http://www.xws.com/terispage/
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
          # Well it works, but is nowhere near as fast as OSUWeb. I dl'd from
          # eskimo, then OSUweb, then Eskimo again - all in quick succession to
          # minimize the chance that it was neighborhood cable system loading
          # having an effect. OSUWeb is about 5-8 times faster, based on the
          # transfer rates displayed by IE6. Maybe those OSU students are still
          # lounging around in their PJs while the faculty is already hard at
          # work, so the the server load there is particulalry light!!

          Funny explanation but nope. OSUWeb is not used by student/faculty. OSUWeb
          was set up by the university for private use by the student/faculty and they
          charge you for it. I have no idea how many people use it but the number is
          increasing since many find out that it is more convenient than some other
          commercial ISP providers. The university does a lots of commercial business.
          E.g., I have a personal phone card for personal use from the university [and
          I pay for it from personal funds]. It's not even cheaper than commercial
          cards but it is convenient. E.g., you can pay it automatically from your bank
          account. Also, it is good to know that the profits are used by the university
          and not by some greedy companies. Education is a huge business. Best regards,
          Paul
        • Paolo Amoroso
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
            On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:10:31 -0500 (EST), Paul Nevai wrote:

            > I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
            > downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
            > good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
            >
            > http://www.eskimo.com/~pc/pc_all.zip

            Download performance seems more or less the same, or possibly slightly
            worse, than that of your current site.

            Paolo
            http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
          • Bill McIntyre <bill@victoryfc.org>
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
              Paul,

              I have a DSL connection. The link worked, but was VERY slow.
              Averaged around 9KB/sec.

              Bill McIntyre

              --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
              > Hi Guys:
              >
              > I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please
              test
              > downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available?
              I heard
              > good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
              >
              > http://www.eskimo.com/~pc/pc_all.zip
              >
              > BTW, this is the latest BUT not different from the latest released
              > pc_all.zip. Just test the download. No need to install.
              >
              > Best regards, Paul
            • Ray Drew
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
                I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
                downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
                good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
                #

                This is over a 512k ADSL connection

                http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip took 31 secs at 53.8kb/s

                http://www.eskimo.com/~pc/pc_all.zip took 2 minutes 1 sec at 13.7kb/s

                I'm in the UK - should that make a difference?

                Ray

              • Josh Morris <joshsm@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
                  --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                  > Hi Guys:
                  >
                  > I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please
                  test
                  > downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available?

                  Eskimo:
                  1.62MB in 1 min 53 sec average 14.7 KB/sec

                  OSU
                  1.62MB in 42 sec average 39.7 KB/sec

                  Using Internet Explorer 6 over my work place sDSL line. (I'm not
                  sure of the bandwidth, but something around 370kb I believe.)

                  Cheers!
                  Josh
                • Ray Drew
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
                    I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
                    downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
                    good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
                    #

                    I've tried this twice now at different times - over a 512k ADSL connection.

                    osuweb at 17:58 took 31 secs at 53.8kb/s
                    osuweb at 00:19 took 30 secs at 55.6kb/s

                    eskimo at 17:58 took 2 minutes 1 sec at 13.7kb/s
                    eskimo at 00:19 took 1 minute 58 secs at 14.1kb/s

                    Ray

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2003
                      # I am having a 2 week free trial of eskimo.com. Would you please test
                      # downloading this? Does it seem reliable? Fast? Always available? I heard
                      # good things about Eskimo North. Have you?
                      #
                      # http://www.eskimo.com/~pc/pc_all.zip

                      Thanks, Guys. Your verdict is out and the results are [unfortunately]
                      obvious: Eskimo North is too slow. So despite all the good things I heard of
                      it, I will not use it [but I will ask them about the speed].