re: Newbie Question (Outlook memos > 4K)

  • Peter Grierson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27 1:15 PM
      The following message is from BackupBuddy's "Verbose" HotSync Log [Verbose is set with a preference.

      "Outlook Notes
      Your Handheld has a limit of 4096 characters in a note or memo field. Please edit the item in
      Outlook to reduce it's size. The following item was truncated in your Handheld:...."

      --------------------
      I find that Outlook Notes (employer's choice) can be a convenient place to put text files (.txt) of less than 4 k that I want synced to the Palm.  But I avoid working in Outlook Notes.

      Unless someone out there knows better, there is no way to get Outlook to cough up the size of a note.  If you work in a text editor (even Notepad--Ugh, I use http://www.EditPadPro.com) you can save the file, then use Windows Explorer (or MyComputer) > View >Details to see the size of the note in 1 K increments.

      If you see 4K or higher, You have several choices:

      1) Do as BackupBuddy Instructs--Shorten the note.  Or, you can divide the note into smaller chunks.

      2) If you have the current version of Palm Install, activate Install and drag the text file to it.  Once on the Palm, Look for Doc files in pedit or use a Doc Reader/Editor (CSpotRun, iSilo, Paul currently uses TealDoc but recently put out a challenge to peditors to identify the best DocReader.  I suspect the discussion will be on Reader/Editors.  Watch this space.)

      3) Use InstallBuddy, (or similar program--DocumentsToGo?) which has the advantage that you have  option for updates to be automatically synced to the Palm.

      Note: PocketMirror (comes with recent Palms) does not give you a choice.  If you edit the file both in Outlook and on the Palm you will end up with two copies.  You then have to reconcile the two copies.  When I get two copies, I use EditPad Pro's "Compare files" tool.

      Good Luck

      Peter R.

      "Take time to understand,

          And lend a helping hand." - Anonymous

      ----------------------
      Responding to Daily Digest Item:

      Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:56:30 -0700
         From: "Chris" <cminer99@...>
      Subject: Newbie Question

      I have Pedit Pro & Outlook

      I have placed a couple of long memos in Outlook, only to find them truncated
      on the Palm.  Am I supposed to do something to the Memo in Outlook First.
      Please do not nag me about the Manuel as I am trying to get used to this
      program that seams to be smarter then I.

      Please use this email for all replies:

      Thank You
      Chris Miner
    • jeremyschonhorn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27 5:24 PM
        Try Zoot from Zootsoftware. Outstanding manipulation of text/notes.
      • Lee Hauser
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 28 6:01 AM
          Desktop To Go allows you to completely disable any of its conduits in favor
          of the Palm Desktop. I've always thought the Outlook Notes feature was
          quite cheesy, so I've always had it ignore the Notes conduit and just send
          my memos to the Palm Desktop Memo application.

          At 04:15 PM 9/27/2000 -0400, you wrote:
          >The following message is from BackupBuddy's "Verbose" HotSync Log [Verbose
          >is set with a preference.
          >

          >"Outlook Notes
          >Your Handheld has a limit of 4096 characters in a note or memo field.
          >Please edit the item in
          >Outlook to reduce it's size. The following item was truncated in your
          >Handheld:...."
          >
          >--------------------
          >I find that Outlook Notes (employer's choice) can be a convenient place to
          >put text files (.txt) of less than 4 k that I want synced to the
          >Palm. But I avoid working in Outlook Notes.
          >
          >Unless someone out there knows better, there is no way to get Outlook to
          >cough up the size of a note. If you work in a text editor (even
          >Notepad--Ugh, I use <http://www.EditPadPro.com>http://www.EditPadPro.com)
          >you can save the file, then use Windows Explorer (or MyComputer) >
          >View >Details to see the size of the note in 1 K increments.
          >
          >If you see 4K or higher, You have several choices:
          >
          >1) Do as BackupBuddy Instructs--Shorten the note. Or, you can divide the
          >note into smaller chunks.
          >
          >2) If you have the current version of Palm Install, activate Install and
          >drag the text file to it. Once on the Palm, Look for Doc files in pedit
          >or use a Doc Reader/Editor (CSpotRun, iSilo, Paul currently uses TealDoc
          >but recently put out a challenge to peditors to identify the best
          >DocReader. I suspect the discussion will be on Reader/Editors. Watch
          >this space.)
          >
          >3) Use InstallBuddy, (or similar program--DocumentsToGo?) which has the
          >advantage that you have option for updates to be automatically synced to
          >the Palm.
          >
          >Note: PocketMirror (comes with recent Palms) does not give you a
          >choice. If you edit the file both in Outlook and on the Palm you will end
          >up with two copies. You then have to reconcile the two copies. When I
          >get two copies, I use EditPad Pro's "Compare files" tool.
          >
          >Good Luck
          >
          >Peter R.
          >
          >"Take time to understand,
          >
          > And lend a helping hand." - Anonymous
          >

          >----------------------
          >Responding to Daily Digest Item:
          >
          >Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:56:30 -0700
          > From: "Chris" <<mailto:cminer99@...>cminer99@...>
          >Subject: Newbie Question
          >
          >I have Pedit Pro & Outlook
          >
          >I have placed a couple of long memos in Outlook, only to find them truncated
          >on the Palm. Am I supposed to do something to the Memo in Outlook First.
          >Please do not nag me about the Manuel as I am trying to get used to this
          >program that seams to be smarter then I.
          >
          >Please use this email for all replies:
          >
          ><mailto:DVD_NOW@...>DVD_NOW@...
          >
          >Thank You
          >Chris Miner

          Lee Hauser
          lhauser@...
          "Perfection (in design) is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
          but rather when there is nothing more to take away." --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • bill thater
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 28 8:21 AM
            On Sep 28, Lee Hauser scribbled on the wall in glitter crayon:

            ->Desktop To Go allows you to completely disable any of its conduits in favor
            ->of the Palm Desktop. I've always thought the Outlook Notes feature was
            ->quite cheesy, so I've always had it ignore the Notes conduit and just send
            ->my memos to the Palm Desktop Memo application.

            ok, so my palm is work supplied and came with pocket mirror. and the palm
            desktop. so is there any way to do this with them, or is a feature of
            desktop to go? [and i'm already in trouble for installing
            "unauthorized" stuff on my palm like peditPRO, even if i did pay for it
            myself.;-)]

            --
            Bill Thater Certified ORACLE DBA
            Telergy, Inc. thaterw@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 29 12:08 PM
              Since I'm not at all familiar with Pocket Mirror, I haven't a clue
              whether it allows you to do that or not. Sorry!

              =====
              --
              Lee Hauser
              lhauser@...
              "Perfection (in design) is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but rather when there is nothing more to take away."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exup�ry,
              as quoted by Eric Raymond in "The Cathedral and the Bazaar"

              http://photos.yahoo.com/
            • Michael D. Hensley
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 29 1:18 PM
                Lee Hauser "scribbled on the wall in glitter crayon":

                > Desktop To Go allows you to completely disable any of its conduits
                > in favor of the Palm Desktop.

                bill thater asked, in a <SHIFT>-key deficient way:
                > so is there any way to do this with [PocketMirror]

                Lee Hauser replied:

                > Since I'm not at all familiar with Pocket Mirror, I haven't a clue
                > whether it allows you to do that or not. Sorry!

                And I reply:

                Run the Conduit Manager, usually called "PocketMirror Settings".
                Select the user you wish to re-configure.
                Press the <Settings...> button.
                Select "Outlook Notes".
                Press the <Change...> button.
                Discover that there is no way to do what you want.
                Go to Chapura's web site to complain.
                Discover that a beta version of a new major release of PocketMirror is now
                available, but there's no information on whether or not it will do what you
                want, or how much it will cost.
                [At that point, I gave up. I dislike MS Lookout enough that I'm going to de-
                install PocketMirror anyway.]

                ---
                Michael D. Hensley | mailto:michaelh@...
                Allegro Consultants Inc. |
                408/252-2330 | Visit scenic http://www.allegro.com
              • bill thater
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 29 1:20 PM
                  On Sep 29, Michael D. Hensley scribbled on the wall in glitter crayon:

                  ->Run the Conduit Manager, usually called "PocketMirror Settings".
                  ->Select the user you wish to re-configure.
                  ->Press the <Settings...> button.
                  ->Select "Outlook Notes".
                  ->Press the <Change...> button.
                  ->Discover that there is no way to do what you want.
                  ->Go to Chapura's web site to complain.
                  ->Discover that a beta version of a new major release of PocketMirror is now
                  ->available, but there's no information on whether or not it will do what you
                  ->want, or how much it will cost.
                  ->[At that point, I gave up. I dislike MS Lookout enough that I'm going to de-
                  ->install PocketMirror anyway.]

                  i would love to join you, but outhouse is the "corporate standard" so i'm
                  stuck. damn and double damn.

                  --
                  Bill Thater Certified ORACLE DBA
                  Telergy, Inc. thaterw@...
                  "We are different, in essence from other men.
                  If you want to will something run 100m.
                  If you want to experience something run a marathon"
                  Emil Zatopek
                  If it was easy, the hardware people would take care of it.
                • Pete
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 30 6:41 PM
                    Alas, I can only confirm Michael's message: once you turn on
                    PocketMirror, your Palm Desktop is no longer updated, although its
                    conduits to the Palm cradle appear to still be used to send data back
                    and forth to Outlook via PocketMirror.

                    A warning: I just deinstalled PocketMirror and discovered what those
                    who are smarter than me would have already known. Do NOT delete your
                    user name from the PocketMirror conduit manager, as this temporarily
                    zaps you from the Palm software as well (the "there is no data for
                    this user" message from the Palm HotSync was chilling). I was somehow
                    able to "recover myself" after I used the Windows remove program
                    wizard (which is what I should have done in the first place) to yank
                    PocketMirror, by restarting the computer and going back into the Palm
                    HotSync.

                    Another note: Pocket Mirror/Outlook (at least the current version)
                    does not understand "private", so if you have confidential
                    information on your Palm, beware. You can turn on filters to prevent
                    private files from being entered into Outlook, but it isn't clear to
                    me if they get backed up. Researching this question is on my to-do
                    list. Perhaps Michael knows?

                    Best,
                    Pete Staugaitis