Re: [peditors] First message moderation of new forum members [was: Re: Getting rid of spam to Peditors Forum]

  • John Kershaw
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2002
      >Okay, you win: you are our official "junkbuster" :)
      >
      >Let's start this experiment. I have changed the group settings and given
      >John appropriate moderator privileges.
      >
      >As a spam prevention measure, moderation is automatically turned on for new
      >forum members. John will check the very first message posted by a new
      >member. If it's spam, the message is not approved and the author's
      >subscription is removed. Otherwise, the message is approved and moderation
      >is permanently turned off for that member.
      >
      >Thanks to John for taking care of this. And, of course, thanks also to the
      >other peditors who volunteered. I have chosen John because he has a fast
      >Internet connection and because he checks his mail very frequently.

      Though only every few hours on a Sunday ;)

      So will I receive an email from unmoderated (ie new) members? Can we
      test it? Could someone create a dummy account and post a message?

      John.
      --
      ------------------------------------
      0113 2289316 / 07944 755613
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2002
        >In case he doesn't know, he can set himself up to receive email
        >notification of new posts.

        I looked in my membership and it says:

        Notify me when there are pending messages/memberships which require approval.

        and it's ticked. Is that all I need to do? If so, fine, I'm good to
        go - bring on the spammers :)

        John.
        --
        ------------------------------------
        0113 2289316 / 07944 755613
        john@... / www.kershaw.org
        AOL johnkershaw / Y! john_m_kershaw
        ------------------------------------
      • Brenda
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2002
          On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 17:40:31 +0000, John Kershaw wrote:
          >Notify me when there are pending messages/memberships which require
          >approval.
          >
          >and it's ticked. Is that all I need to do? If so, fine, I'm good to go
          >- bring on the spammers :)

          Yes

          Brenda
        • Paolo Amoroso
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2002
            On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 17:40:31 +0000, John Kershaw wrote:

            > >In case he doesn't know, he can set himself up to receive email
            > >notification of new posts.
            >
            > I looked in my membership and it says:
            >
            > Notify me when there are pending messages/memberships which require approval.
            >
            > and it's ticked. Is that all I need to do? If so, fine, I'm good to

            Yes, I had changed your setting.

            Paolo
            http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README