Newbie question

  • Jbolt001
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 31, 2002
      Hello,

      I had asked a question regarding automating some process on another
      forum and I was directed here by one of the list members. I am a
      project manager for a construction company and I send about half my
      day in the field at several different project sites. I use my PDA
      extensively for taking notes about each project. I use ACT! as my
      contact manager which only allows syncing of the 10 most current
      notes to the notes folder of each contact. For this reason I use only
      one note and add to it as needed. Instead of opening the address
      book/ finding the contact/ taping the note icon and setting up a new
      time & date I would like to know if it is possible execute the
      following with a script, macro or combination there of.

      Open address/go to a predefined contact/open the notes folder for
      that contact/ put the cursor at "home"/ carriage return to add a new
      line at the beginning of the notes page/ cursor up/ add date & time/
      space

      I spent several hours reading about pedit and LTH and I am still
      unclear if this is possible or if these are the right programs to do
      this. Please forgive my naivety, as this is all very new to me.

      Regards,

      Jay Critchfield
    • John Harms
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
        Jay --

        Some clarifying questions:

        1. When you say, "Open Address", do you mean Palm's
        built-in Address Book application, or something that
        comes with ACT?

        2. When you say, "Go to a predefined contact", where
        does that predefinition come from? Would it change
        for every execution of the script? Are the last names
        guaranteed to be unique? (Palm's Address application
        only searches on the last name.) Perhaps a couple of
        examples would help.

        -- JohnH

        --- Jbolt001 <js3mc@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I had asked a question regarding automating some
        > process on another
        > forum and I was directed here by one of the list
        > members. I am a
        > project manager for a construction company and I
        > send about half my
        > day in the field at several different project sites.
        > I use my PDA
        > extensively for taking notes about each project. I
        > use ACT! as my
        > contact manager which only allows syncing of the 10
        > most current
        > notes to the notes folder of each contact. For this
        > reason I use only
        > one note and add to it as needed. Instead of opening
        > the address
        > book/ finding the contact/ taping the note icon and
        > setting up a new
        > time & date I would like to know if it is possible
        > execute the
        > following with a script, macro or combination there
        > of.
        >
        > Open address/go to a predefined contact/open the
        > notes folder for
        > that contact/ put the cursor at "home"/ carriage
        > return to add a new
        > line at the beginning of the notes page/ cursor up/
        > add date & time/
        > space
        >
        > I spent several hours reading about pedit and LTH
        > and I am still
        > unclear if this is possible or if these are the
        > right programs to do
        > this. Please forgive my naivety, as this is all very
        > new to me.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Jay Critchfield

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • John Harms
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
          Jay --

          --- Jbolt001 <js3mc@...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I had asked a question regarding automating some
          > process on another
          > forum and I was directed here by one of the list
          > members. I am a
          > project manager for a construction company and I
          > send about half my
          > day in the field at several different project sites.
          > I use my PDA
          > extensively for taking notes about each project. I
          > use ACT! as my
          > contact manager which only allows syncing of the 10
          > most current
          > notes to the notes folder of each contact. For this
          > reason I use only
          > one note and add to it as needed. Instead of opening
          > the address
          > book/ finding the contact/ taping the note icon and
          > setting up a new
          > time & date I would like to know if it is possible
          > execute the
          > following with a script, macro or combination there
          > of.
          >
          > Open address/go to a predefined contact/open the
          > notes folder for
          > that contact/ put the cursor at "home"/ carriage
          > return to add a new
          > line at the beginning of the notes page/ cursor up/
          > add date & time/
          > space
          >
          > I spent several hours reading about pedit and LTH
          > and I am still
          > unclear if this is possible or if these are the
          > right programs to do
          > this. Please forgive my naivety, as this is all very
          > new to me.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Jay Critchfield

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Paolo Amoroso
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
            On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:13:01 -0000, Jay Critchfield wrote:

            > I spent several hours reading about pedit and LTH and I am still
            > unclear if this is possible or if these are the right programs to do
            > this. Please forgive my naivety, as this is all very new to me.

            Just a reminder that this site provides information and examples on
            scripting:

            http://www.peditors.com

            Paolo
            http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
          • J.Critchfield
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
              John,

              > 1. When you say, "Open Address", do you mean Palm's
              > built-in Address Book application, or something that
              > comes with ACT?

              Because the palm desktop has to be installed before configuring the ACT!
              hotsync manager I would assume it uses the built-in Address Book fields.

              > 2. When you say, "Go to a predefined contact", where
              > does that predefinition come from? Would it change
              > for every execution of the script? Are the last names
              > guaranteed to be unique? (Palm's Address application
              > only searches on the last name.) Perhaps a couple of
              > examples would help.

              Palm's Address application also searches by company. Since 95% of my
              contacts are associated to a company I use this option to sort and search
              for contacts. Currently I put the project owners last name in the company
              field. Each project is assigned a unique number which could be used before
              the name to make it unique.

              For each project I would need a separate script.

              Example:

              Launch Address Book/ Search for (2-120 Smith)/ Open Notes/ Cursor to line 5/
              carriage return/ up cursor/ date & time/ space

              I added to start on line 5 because I use the first 4 lines for project
              information I need to access quickly. Permit #s, parcel #s etc.

              Does this help?

              Thanks,

              Jay
            • John Harms
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
                Jay --

                The script below should give you a jump-start. Just copy/paste it into your
                ScriptPad and execute it.

                You'll want to make adjustments of course, e.g. to the date which can be
                formatted any way you want using the various "/d" tokens. All of these
                constructs, commands, and tokens are documented in the pedit manual. This
                doesn't mean you need to be using pedit to use them -- it's just that Paul
                decided to locate the pScripting documentation in just one place (the pedit
                manual), since the same scripting language is available in both pedit and
                LTH.

                Once you get the script refined, you can easily invoke it from an ME-Stamp
                macro -- when you're ready I'll describe how.

                Note: I put a dash between the project number and the last name since the
                Address Book cannot search on anything with embedded blanks. (Of course,
                the Address book entry also has that dash.)

                Note: this example script assumes that the LTH ESC char is a backslash.

                Let me know if you have any trouble!

                {LogEntry::
                /GZ /* gMM on */
                /* "Force" option used to put */
                /* addr bk in known state... */
                /&launch f [@@Address Book@@,]
                2-120-Smith /* Find this */
                /xn /* CR to open */
                \o edit; /* "Edit" button */
                \o note; /* "Note" button */
                /&script[@@Chain1@@]
                } /* Chain to "settle" note */
                {Chain1::
                /eh /* Cursor to top */
                /0x1F /* Cursor down */
                /0x1F /* Cursor down */
                /0x1F /* Cursor down */
                /0x1F /* Cursor down */
                /xn /* Carriage Rtn */
                /0x1E /* Cursor up */
                /dd / /dm / /dY /* Date */
                /xs /* Space */
                /xZ /* gMM off */
                }

                -- JohnH

                > > 1. When you say, "Open Address", do you mean Palm's
                > > built-in Address Book application, or something that
                > > comes with ACT?
                >
                > Because the palm desktop has to be installed before configuring the ACT!
                > hotsync manager I would assume it uses the built-in Address Book fields.
                >
                > > 2. When you say, "Go to a predefined contact", where
                > > does that predefinition come from? Would it change
                > > for every execution of the script? Are the last names
                > > guaranteed to be unique? (Palm's Address application
                > > only searches on the last name.) Perhaps a couple of
                > > examples would help.
                >
                > Palm's Address application also searches by company. Since 95% of my
                > contacts are associated to a company I use this option to sort and search
                > for contacts. Currently I put the project owners last name in the company
                > field. Each project is assigned a unique number which could be used before
                > the name to make it unique.
                >
                > For each project I would need a separate script.
                >
                > Example:
                >
                > Launch Address Book/ Search for (2-120 Smith)/ Open Notes/ Cursor to line
                5/
                > carriage return/ up cursor/ date & time/ space
                >
                > I added to start on line 5 because I use the first 4 lines for project
                > information I need to access quickly. Permit #s, parcel #s etc.
                >
                > Does this help?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Jay

              • J.Critchfield
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
                  John,

                  Wow! Thanks.

                  Ok I did as you said and pasted it into pscript and exicuted it. it launches
                  the address book and finds the contact but nothing else. The side effect is
                  it crashes LTH. I have to do a soft reset to restart LTH

                  I have both pedit and LTH installed.

                  Any thoughts?

                  Jay
                • J.Critchfield
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
                    John,

                    I tried it again and I don't think it is crashing LTH. It locks up the
                    digitizer for about 30 seconds then acts normal.

                    Jay

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                      # I tried it again and I don't think it is crashing LTH. It locks up the
                      # digitizer for about 30 seconds then acts normal.

                      I didn't read the previous messages BUT it looks like you put yourself in
                      EXPERT mode by accident. Best regards, Paul
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                        # {LogEntry::
                        # /xZ /* gMM off */
                        # }

                        !!!!!!!!!!!!!TYPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                        /xZ =====> /xz [lower case "z"] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                        [see my previous message - /xZ is macro mode]

                        Best regards, Paul
                      • J.Critchfield
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                          > # {LogEntry::
                          > # /xZ /* gMM off */
                          > # }
                          >
                          > !!!!!!!!!!!!!TYPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          >
                          > /xZ =====> /xz [lower case "z"] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          >
                          > [see my previous message - /xZ is macro mode]

                          Paul,

                          I did try that after reading through the manual last night but it made no
                          difference. I left it there but for some reason the script fails at .... \o
                          edit; /* "Edit" button */

                          At the moment I'm trying to figure out why that line starts with a forward
                          slash and not a backslash(ESC)

                          Thanks for the help,

                          Jay
                        • J.Critchfield
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                            > > /xZ =====> /xz [lower case "z"] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            > >
                            > > [see my previous message - /xZ is macro mode]
                            >
                            > Paul,
                            >
                            > I did try that after reading through the manual last night but it made no
                            > difference. I left it there but for some reason the script fails at ....
                            \o
                            > edit; /* "Edit" button */
                            >
                            > At the moment I'm trying to figure out why that line starts with a forward
                            > slash and not a backslash(ESC)

                            Okay I'm getting closer. Part of it was the forward slash.
                            Changing

                            \o edit; /* "Edit" button */
                            \o note; /* "Note" button */

                            /o edit; /* "Edit" button */
                            /o note; /* "Note" button */

                            gets me into the notes form but the formatting fails. It inserts the year at
                            the top of the page. Off to read some more.

                            Jay
                          • J.Critchfield
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                              John, Paul,

                              /&script[@@Chain1@@]
                              } /* Chain to "settle" note */
                              {Chain1::

                              I don't follow why }{ these are used between the two scripts.

                              I tried this:

                              /&script[@@Chain1@@]
                              /xz
                              } /* Chain to "settle" note */
                              {Chain1::
                              /GZ

                              It was rather exciting as the LTH form popped up several times when I
                              started the script yet the net result was the same with only the year being
                              added to the top of the note form.

                              Where would I find that 0x1F = Cursor down All the ascii tables show this a
                              (ns) null seperatopr. How would the novice know what the arrow key codes
                              are?

                              Thanks,

                              Jay
                            • John Harms
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                                Jay --

                                Sorry about the /xZ typo; I didn't notice since I rarely get LTH or pedit in
                                an prompt state without it being in a script.

                                However, the other failure is puzzling. The script I posted yesterday works
                                perfectly on my machine. So, there must be something different in our
                                environment. I have a few config comparison questions below....

                                LTH version (ESC V) = ?
                                pedit flavor (peditPro, peditLight, etc.) = ?
                                pedit version (Menu: Options About pedit) = ?
                                LTH escape char = ?
                                pedit escape char = ?
                                PDA brand/model = ?
                                PalmOS version (from Palm's "home" info screen) = ?
                                Hack manager and version = ?
                                Other hacks active = ?
                                Free memory = ?

                                Also, you you email me via direct email an attachment that is your exact
                                script as edited so far? The "/o" edit you described doesn't seem like it
                                could possibly work unless forward slash is the LTH ESC char. BTW, "ESC o"
                                invokes the LTH "Our Ctrl Activator" mechanism.

                                Lastly, here is a debugging tip: temporarily take *out* both the /GZ and
                                /xz, so you can see what prompts are being displayed and answered.

                                Thanks,
                                JohnH

                                P.S. Paul: I notice that pedit versions at 5.98, 6.00, and 6.07 are still
                                available on PalmGear, alongside LTH 6.12. Is there a chance for someone to
                                encounter a pScript engine incompatibility if they use 5.98 pedit with 6.12
                                LTH?

                                > > > [see my previous message - /xZ is macro mode]
                                > >
                                > > Paul,
                                > >
                                > > I did try that after reading through the manual last night but it made
                                no
                                > > difference. I left it there but for some reason the script fails at ....
                                > \o
                                > > edit; /* "Edit" button */
                                > >
                                > > At the moment I'm trying to figure out why that line starts with a
                                forward
                                > > slash and not a backslash(ESC)
                                >
                                > Okay I'm getting closer. Part of it was the forward slash.
                                > Changing
                                >
                                > \o edit; /* "Edit" button */
                                > \o note; /* "Note" button */

                                > /o edit; /* "Edit" button */
                                > /o note; /* "Note" button */
                                >
                                > gets me into the notes form but the formatting fails. It inserts the year
                                at
                                > the top of the page. Off to read some more.
                                >
                                > Jay

                              • John Harms
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                                  The cursor movement characters are listed in the pedit manual where it
                                  describes the /x tokens. Search for "If "/0x" or "/0X" is followed by two
                                  digits or letters". This assumes you have the latest pedit version's
                                  manual; see previous email about possible version mismatching.

                                  The script chaining is necessary to get the /eh token to work. Due to the
                                  way Palm's I/O works, it is sometimes necessary to end a script to make sure
                                  all buffers are empty, etc. Using /&script to start a new script
                                  effectively does that. Without that knowledge, you may have been confused
                                  by my indentation of the braces "}{". Those are the standard script
                                  start-end delimiters; I just indented them with the rest of the script
                                  statements to make it clear that the program flow was not changing, it is
                                  just an artifact of chaining.

                                  BTW, the /GZ and /xz only need to bracket the entire scripted flow.

                                  -- John

                                  > I don't follow why }{ these are used between the two scripts.
                                  >
                                  > I tried this:
                                  >
                                  > /&script[@@Chain1@@]
                                  > /xz
                                  > } /* Chain to "settle" note */
                                  > {Chain1::
                                  > /GZ
                                  >
                                  > It was rather exciting as the LTH form popped up several times when I
                                  > started the script yet the net result was the same with only the year
                                  being
                                  > added to the top of the note form.
                                  >
                                  > Where would I find that 0x1F = Cursor down All the ascii tables show this
                                  > (ns) null seperatopr. How would the novice know what the arrow key codes
                                  > are?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Jay

                                • J.Critchfield
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                                    John,

                                    Success! I had used forward slash as ESC in both peditPro and LTH thinking
                                    it was backslash. <insert embarrassed grin> No wonder it went haywire.

                                    I did find it interesting that if the fourth line does not contain any text
                                    the third line is forced down and the date and time is inserted into the
                                    third line. No problem but interesting just the same.

                                    Jay
                                  • John Harms
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                                      Jay --

                                      Great news!

                                      BTW, I highly recommend having the peditPRO and LTH escape characters be
                                      different. (Some users successfully use the same char, but it can get
                                      tricky.) I think the most common LTH esc char is backslash, and the most
                                      common pedit esc char is backtick ("`").

                                      -- JohnH

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                                        # P.S. Paul: I notice that pedit versions at 5.98, 6.00, and 6.07 are still
                                        # available on PalmGear, alongside LTH 6.12. Is there a chance for someone to
                                        # encounter a pScript engine incompatibility if they use 5.98 pedit with 6.12
                                        # LTH?

                                        No matter what the # says, they are all up to date. /Paul
                                      • John Harms
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                                          > From: "J.Critchfield" <js3mc@...>
                                          > When you have the time I'd like to setup the macro to launch this script
                                          > from Mest.

                                          Jay --

                                          There are several ways to start scripts. Before we talk about doing it from
                                          MeST, it occurs to me that you said there are multiple names that will be
                                          searched for, each with its own script. Is that number less then 10? If
                                          so, would you like to be able to choose them off a menu/button page? If so,
                                          just put this in front of the script: "custBtn.001.n" where "n" is the menu
                                          position, and then name the script with what you want on the menu (blanks
                                          are okay here). For example:

                                          custBtn.001.1
                                          {Log 2-120 Smith::
                                          .
                                          . <script text>
                                          .
                                          }

                                          custBtn.001.2
                                          {Log 4-736 Jones::
                                          .
                                          . <script text>
                                          .
                                          }

                                          custBtn.001.3
                                          {Log 6-234 Zambowiz::
                                          .
                                          . <script text>
                                          .
                                          }

                                          Then, doing an LTH "ESC b" will bring up a menu/button page. Tapping on the
                                          desired choice will execute that macro.

                                          If you like that method of script invocation, then to bring up that
                                          menu/button page from MeST, just define an MeST macro to be "\b". If you
                                          want a different MeST macro for each different name, then I'll describe a
                                          different method for you.

                                          -- JohnH