!p32Memo Recovery

  • hisimage8
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
      I deleted an entry in a !p32Memo that I shouldn't have. I have not
      yet synced so I know that it must be somewhere in a file in
      BackUpBuddy. I've looked for that memo in my BBuddy files and also
      in the manual to try and figure out where it is but I've not been
      able to "get" it. Would someone help me find this file so that I can
      restore it?

      Thank you . . .

      Patricia
    • Jesse Jacobsen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
        On 07/03/02, hisimage8 wrote:
        > I deleted an entry in a !p32Memo that I shouldn't have. I have not
        > yet synced so I know that it must be somewhere in a file in
        > BackUpBuddy. I've looked for that memo in my BBuddy files and also
        > in the manual to try and figure out where it is but I've not been
        > able to "get" it. Would someone help me find this file so that I can
        > restore it?

        I use a completely different platform, but if you can find the
        BackUpBuddy backup database files, then the one you want should be
        Memo32DB.pdb. Maybe you can search your directory tree for that name.
        You can open that file with any editor. Just ignore the binary junk --
        your memos are included as regular text.

        Jesse

        --
        I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever; With my mouth will I
        make known Your faithfulness to all generations.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
          > You can open that file with any editor. Just ignore the binary
          junk --
          > your memos are included as regular text.
          >
          > Jesse

          Thanks Jesse -- I found the file and tried to open it but so far no
          luck. I renamed it to a pdf extension, which I thought would open it
          in adobe but it didn't like that. Clicking on it in BackUpBuddy puts
          it in the tray to install it on the next hot sync; even a right click
          and "open" puts it in the install box. Perhaps I'll just try that
          and see what happens on the hot sync. It's just a journal/quiet time
          entry for one day so if I mess up it won't be tragic.

          Patricia
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
            # Thanks Jesse -- I found the file and tried to open it but so far no
            # luck. I renamed it to a pdf extension, which I thought would open it

            NO!!! Use a regular text editor to open it or send it to Jesse [Jesse, OK?]
            who will recover it for you. Just tell him a few key words. Best regards,
            Paul
          • John Kershaw
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
              >I renamed it to a pdf extension

              Noo!! You need to open the file in Notepad.

              Start Menu > Accessories > Notepad (I think)

              File > Open > [navigate to the file]

              You should be able to select/copy/paste the text from there. Use
              ctrl-F (Find) if it's too long to page through by hand (all the memos
              are stored in one long chunk with some info at the beginning).

              Are you on instant messenger of any variety? Mail me back with your
              ID and I'll talk you through if you like.

              John.
              --
              -----------------------
              phone: 07944 755613
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
                "hisimage8" <hisimage8@...> writes:

                > Thanks Jesse -- I found the file and tried to open it but so far no
                > luck. I renamed it to a pdf extension, which I thought would open it
                > in adobe but it didn't like that. Clicking on it in BackUpBuddy puts
                > it in the tray to install it on the next hot sync; even a right click
                > and "open" puts it in the install box. Perhaps I'll just try that
                > and see what happens on the hot sync. It's just a journal/quiet time
                > entry for one day so if I mess up it won't be tragic.

                Try instead opening it in Notepad. You want to look at it in a text
                editor which doesn't try to hard to be smart. You'll probably see a
                lot of junk characters, but somewhere in there is your text.

                There are also some tools on the peditors forum files section for
                extracting memos from a pedit database. Some of them might need other
                packages installed on your computer (Tcl, for example), though.

                ian
              • hisimage8
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002

                  > Noo!! You need to open the file in Notepad.
                  >
                  > Start Menu > Accessories > Notepad (I think)
                  >
                  > File > Open > [navigate to the file]
                  >
                  > You should be able to select/copy/paste the text from there. Use
                  > ctrl-F (Find) if it's too long to page through by hand (all the
                  memos
                  > are stored in one long chunk with some info at the beginning).

                  Oh!! I got it! I got it!

                  Thank you all sooo much. I'm very excited -- more so than the lost
                  entry warrants -- because I know so little about how to get around on
                  my computer. I know and love my Clie but to me the pc is mainly used
                  as a backup and a way to get around the internet. So, to have found
                  this is wonderful!

                  Thanks again. . .

                  Patricia