Re: pedit for rich text processing [was: other apps]

  • joachim_sanders
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
      Blake,
      you may consider TaggingDA, a configurable DA which allows
      all sort of tagging (http://www.kk.iij4u.or.jp/~tomiou/palmware.html).
      Joachim

      --- In peditors@y..., Blake Winton <bwinton@l...> wrote:
      > I use HTML or XML for my rich text, and I'm slowly
      > developing a set of pEdit macros to do various things
      > involving tags. (So far I've got one that will either
      > surround the current selection with "<p>" and "</p>" or
      > insert "<p></p>", putting the cursor in between the tags, if
      > nothing is selected. Hey, I said I was _slowly_ developing
      > the macros. ;)
      >
      > Later,
      > Blake.
      > --
    • Paolo Amoroso
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
        On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:02:14 +1000 (GMT+1000), Brendan Macpherson wrote:

        > How do you use pedit for rich text processing? I am interested in being
        > able to do limited formating on my palm (i.e italics, superscript and
        > subscript) while still having the superior text editing features of pedit.
        >
        > I know I could do this using LaTeX, but I able currently bawking at the
        > prospect of learning it.

        If the above attributes are most of what--or all--you need, you may create
        your own formatting conventions (e.g. /italics/, ^superscript^ and
        _subscript_), and a set of macros for turning the memos to properly
        formatted documents with your desktop word processor.

        Paolo
        http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
      • Chris Lott
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
            # LaTeX is not hard to learn, produces superior output in multiple

            I am the Editor-in-Chief of an int'l math journal. I'd say that 99% of
            mathematicians use TeX [and LaTeX is just an add-on package to TeX so I just
            refer to it as TeX]. It's PAGE processor as opposed to text and word
            processors.

            TeX was created by one of the smartest guys of the 20th century. Yes, by ONE
            SINGLE person. He even rec'd the National Medal of Honor for it.

            /Paul
          • jon hind
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
              Hello Chris,

              Coo - I used to use TeX on the amiga.

              It produced beautiful output.

              What a GOOD idea.
              Monday, July 1, 2002, 5:56:45 PM, you wrote:

              Chris Lott> LaTeX is not hard to learn, produces superior output in multiple
              Chris Lott> formats (particularly print and PDF), and is eminently suited to
              Chris Lott> editing on devices like he Palm (as well as programmatic output).
              Chris Lott> Given your area of interest, I would take a little time and get up to
              Chris Lott> speed with LaTeX... the Not so Short Guide to LaTeX is a great
              Chris Lott> starting point (available all over the web and with most LaTeX
              Chris Lott> distibutions).

              Chris Lott> Oh, and LaTeX files are cross-platform, another big plus.
            • Dirk Bernhardt
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                Chris Lott <chrisl@...> writes:

                > Oh, and LaTeX files are cross-platform, another big plus.

                I'd love to have a TeX and dvi-Viewer for the Palm. Should be possible
                somehow - TeX is not that much of a resource-hog anymore (compared to
                other current text manipulation programs).

                Dirk
              • Paolo Amoroso
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                  On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:49:16 -0400 (EDT), Paul Nevai wrote:

                  > TeX was created by one of the smartest guys of the 20th century. Yes, by ONE
                  > SINGLE person. He even rec'd the National Medal of Honor for it.

                  The guy, Donald E. Knuth, is not only smart. All his writings, even his
                  research ones, are a lot of fun to read.

                  The TeX project started as an occasion for Knuth to learn more about
                  computers and typesetting during his sabbatical year. The publications of
                  the American Mathematical Society looked so ugly (typesetting-wise) to him
                  that he refused to submit more papers, and decided to create a better
                  typesetting system. The project turned out to require a decade, during
                  which Knuth made important contributions to typesetting, mathematics and
                  computer science.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                    On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Paul Nevai wrote:

                    > # LaTeX is not hard to learn, produces superior output in multiple
                    >
                    > [and LaTeX is just an add-on package to TeX so I just
                    > refer to it as TeX].

                    Sure... BUT, when you are loking for help or asking on mailing lists,
                    the plain TeX folks get a bit annoyed when they get LaTeX macros
                    questions, and a beginner might want to start with LaTeX tutorials and
                    info rather than diving right into the TeXbook :)

                    I've been using TeX and LaTeX for years, ever since I started college
                    and had no computer except VAX terminals in a lab... except for
                    practice, I almost never do formulas as I am a lit and philosophy kind
                    of guy. But it excels in all areas.

                  • Jan Erik Moström
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
                      2002-07-04 14:46: Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@...> is believed to have
                      typed:

                      > In fairness, it may be possible to reduce the file size by setting
                      > Word so that it does not perform incremental saves, but save the
                      > entire document when requested. This may trigger some sort of
                      > garbage collection mechanism.

                      I have to admit that I don't know what kind of options is turned on when
                      I made that file (I never typed anything, just opened and saved). I
                      never use Word unless I'm forced to do it (I'm running MacSupport and
                      writing a paper once in a while ... when the conference requires Word)
                      otherwise I use LaTeX.

                      jem
                      --
                      Jan Erik Moström jem@... www.mostrom.pp.se
                    • Jan Erik Moström
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
                        2002-07-04 11:29: Dirk Bernhardt <krid@...> is believed to have
                        typed:

                        > Don't forget the inodes that take up space. :-)

                        8-) OK

                        (and we can't forget the size of the file name in the directory file 8-)

                        jem
                        --
                        Jan Erik Moström jem@... www.mostrom.pp.se