Re: [peditors] pedit for rich text processing [was: other apps]

  • Jan Erik Moström
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2002
      2002-07-01 10:02: Brendan Macpherson <s343085@...> is
      believed to have typed:

      > I know I could do this using LaTeX, but I able currently bawking
      > at the prospect of learning it.

      > Department of Chemistry, School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences

      Hmmm, I think it would be a good idea ... considering your area.

      jem
      --
      Jan Erik Moström jem@... www.mostrom.pp.se
    • joachim_sanders
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
        Blake,
        you may consider TaggingDA, a configurable DA which allows
        all sort of tagging (http://www.kk.iij4u.or.jp/~tomiou/palmware.html).
        Joachim

        --- In peditors@y..., Blake Winton <bwinton@l...> wrote:
        > I use HTML or XML for my rich text, and I'm slowly
        > developing a set of pEdit macros to do various things
        > involving tags. (So far I've got one that will either
        > surround the current selection with "<p>" and "</p>" or
        > insert "<p></p>", putting the cursor in between the tags, if
        > nothing is selected. Hey, I said I was _slowly_ developing
        > the macros. ;)
        >
        > Later,
        > Blake.
        > --
      • Paolo Amoroso
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
          On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:02:14 +1000 (GMT+1000), Brendan Macpherson wrote:

          > How do you use pedit for rich text processing? I am interested in being
          > able to do limited formating on my palm (i.e italics, superscript and
          > subscript) while still having the superior text editing features of pedit.
          >
          > I know I could do this using LaTeX, but I able currently bawking at the
          > prospect of learning it.

          If the above attributes are most of what--or all--you need, you may create
          your own formatting conventions (e.g. /italics/, ^superscript^ and
          _subscript_), and a set of macros for turning the memos to properly
          formatted documents with your desktop word processor.

          Paolo
          http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
        • Chris Lott
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
              # LaTeX is not hard to learn, produces superior output in multiple

              I am the Editor-in-Chief of an int'l math journal. I'd say that 99% of
              mathematicians use TeX [and LaTeX is just an add-on package to TeX so I just
              refer to it as TeX]. It's PAGE processor as opposed to text and word
              processors.

              TeX was created by one of the smartest guys of the 20th century. Yes, by ONE
              SINGLE person. He even rec'd the National Medal of Honor for it.

              /Paul
            • jon hind
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
                Hello Chris,

                Coo - I used to use TeX on the amiga.

                It produced beautiful output.

                What a GOOD idea.
                Monday, July 1, 2002, 5:56:45 PM, you wrote:

                Chris Lott> LaTeX is not hard to learn, produces superior output in multiple
                Chris Lott> formats (particularly print and PDF), and is eminently suited to
                Chris Lott> editing on devices like he Palm (as well as programmatic output).
                Chris Lott> Given your area of interest, I would take a little time and get up to
                Chris Lott> speed with LaTeX... the Not so Short Guide to LaTeX is a great
                Chris Lott> starting point (available all over the web and with most LaTeX
                Chris Lott> distibutions).

                Chris Lott> Oh, and LaTeX files are cross-platform, another big plus.
              • Dirk Bernhardt
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                  Chris Lott <chrisl@...> writes:

                  > Oh, and LaTeX files are cross-platform, another big plus.

                  I'd love to have a TeX and dvi-Viewer for the Palm. Should be possible
                  somehow - TeX is not that much of a resource-hog anymore (compared to
                  other current text manipulation programs).

                  Dirk
                • Paolo Amoroso
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                    On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:49:16 -0400 (EDT), Paul Nevai wrote:

                    > TeX was created by one of the smartest guys of the 20th century. Yes, by ONE
                    > SINGLE person. He even rec'd the National Medal of Honor for it.

                    The guy, Donald E. Knuth, is not only smart. All his writings, even his
                    research ones, are a lot of fun to read.

                    The TeX project started as an occasion for Knuth to learn more about
                    computers and typesetting during his sabbatical year. The publications of
                    the American Mathematical Society looked so ugly (typesetting-wise) to him
                    that he refused to submit more papers, and decided to create a better
                    typesetting system. The project turned out to require a decade, during
                    which Knuth made important contributions to typesetting, mathematics and
                    computer science.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                      On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Paul Nevai wrote:

                      > # LaTeX is not hard to learn, produces superior output in multiple
                      >
                      > [and LaTeX is just an add-on package to TeX so I just
                      > refer to it as TeX].

                      Sure... BUT, when you are loking for help or asking on mailing lists,
                      the plain TeX folks get a bit annoyed when they get LaTeX macros
                      questions, and a beginner might want to start with LaTeX tutorials and
                      info rather than diving right into the TeXbook :)

                      I've been using TeX and LaTeX for years, ever since I started college
                      and had no computer except VAX terminals in a lab... except for
                      practice, I almost never do formulas as I am a lit and philosophy kind
                      of guy. But it excels in all areas.

                    • Jan Erik Moström
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
                        2002-07-04 14:46: Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@...> is believed to have
                        typed:

                        > In fairness, it may be possible to reduce the file size by setting
                        > Word so that it does not perform incremental saves, but save the
                        > entire document when requested. This may trigger some sort of
                        > garbage collection mechanism.

                        I have to admit that I don't know what kind of options is turned on when
                        I made that file (I never typed anything, just opened and saved). I
                        never use Word unless I'm forced to do it (I'm running MacSupport and
                        writing a paper once in a while ... when the conference requires Word)
                        otherwise I use LaTeX.

                        jem
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
                          2002-07-04 11:29: Dirk Bernhardt <krid@...> is believed to have
                          typed:

                          > Don't forget the inodes that take up space. :-)

                          8-) OK

                          (and we can't forget the size of the file name in the directory file 8-)

                          jem
                          --
                          Jan Erik Moström jem@... www.mostrom.pp.se