Manuals in iSilo format

  • sanderlenka
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2002
      Hi All,

      I have been using the iSilo versions of the pedit and LTH manuals a lot.

      Are there any new versions of the manuals in iSilo format?

      Alternatively, could anyone tell me how to create them from the html-versions, either on a Windows 2000 PC or on a Linux box?

      best regards,

      Sander
    • Ian Soboroff
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2002
        "sanderlenka" <sander.roosendaal@...> writes:

        > I have been using the iSilo versions of the pedit and LTH manuals a lot.
        >
        > Are there any new versions of the manuals in iSilo format?
        >
        > Alternatively, could anyone tell me how to create them from the
        > html-versions, either on a Windows 2000 PC or on a Linux box?

        There used to be a Linux program called 'iSilo386' or something. You
        can also use SiteScooper.

        I've been trying to move my Palm away from closed-source software, so
        I stopped using iSilo (that and it's a slow bloated beast!) I
        recommend replacing it with Plucker unless there's something you
        really need iSilo for. If you need a carrot, Plucker uses the same
        compression as gzip, and gets you much smaller ebooks than iSilo.

        ian
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2002
          # I've been trying to move my Palm away from closed-source software, so
          # I stopped using iSilo (that and it's a slow bloated beast!) I

          As opposed to pedit? pedit fails both of your criteria too. /Paul
        • bill thater
          Message 4 of 11 , May 31, 2002
            nevai@...-state.edu wrote:

            > # I've been trying to move my Palm away from closed-source software, so
            > # I stopped using iSilo (that and it's a slow bloated beast!) I
            >
            > As opposed to pedit? pedit fails both of your criteria too. /Paul

            closed source? yes... slow and bloated... no way in hell.;-)

            Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
            bthater2@...
            You gotta program like you don't need the money,
            You gotta compile like you'll never get hurt,
            You gotta run like there's nobody watching,
            It's gotta come from the heart if you want it to work.
            Quality assurance: A way to ensure you never deliver shoddy goods
            accidentally.
          • sanderlenka
            Message 5 of 11 , May 31, 2002
              --- In peditors@y..., Ian Soboroff <ian.soboroff@n...> wrote:
              > "sanderlenka" <sander.roosendaal@p...> writes:
              > can also use SiteScooper.
              >
              > I've been trying to move my Palm away from closed-source software, so
              > I stopped using iSilo (that and it's a slow bloated beast!) I
              > recommend replacing it with Plucker unless there's something you
              > really need iSilo for. If you need a carrot, Plucker uses the same
              > compression as gzip, and gets you much smaller ebooks than iSilo.

              I use Plucker a lot! It's a great application. However, it does not support VFS, as far as I know.

              I also have them in Plucker format, on a CompactFlash card. To read them, I have to use FAFileMover and copy the manual to RAM. iSilo can read directly from the CompactFlash card.

              > ian

              best regards,

              Sander
            • Peter Williams
              Message 6 of 11 , May 31, 2002
                I agree with your sentiments against using non-open source software
                and closed formats, Ian.

                Here's a plucker command for extracting the manual (in Unix/Linux), in
                case anyone is new to it:

                % plucker-build --doc-file=Pedit_Manual --doc-name="Pedit Manual" \
                --category=Documentation --zlib-compression \
                --home-url=http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pedit/man/pedit_man.html \
                --maxdepth=1

                This will install the PDB file to one's plucker home directory for
                install. Put it in a cron job for those daily updates!

                --
                Peter

                We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of
                those we don't like?
                -- Jean Cocteau, author and painter (1889-1963)

                Message 7 of 11 , May 31, 2002
                  # % plucker-build --doc-file=Pedit_Manual --doc-name="Pedit Manual" \
                  # --category=Documentation --zlib-compression \
                  # --home-url=http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pedit/man/pedit_man.html \
                  # --maxdepth=1

                  This makes the assumption that pedit_man.html is up-to-date. It ain't.
                  It's better to use

                  home.columbus.rr.com/nevai/palm/pc_beta.zip

                  and write a script which downloads it and unzips it. /Paul
                • Lonnie Foster
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31, 2002
                    On Fri, 31 May 2002, sanderlenka wrote:

                    > Alternatively, could anyone tell me how to create them from the
                    > html-versions, either on a Windows 2000 PC or on a Linux box?

                    iSilo has free converters for both Windows and Linux. The interface
                    for the Windows converter is very nice, actually; you can customize
                    the converted document to your heart's content, and even include
                    images if you want a really large document. Take a look at
                    http://www.isilox.com for details.

                    /|\ Lonnie Foster <lonnief@...> http://pobox.com/~tribble
                    \|/ When people cease to complain, they cease to think.
                    /|\ -- Arabic Proverb
                  • Ian Soboroff
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 31, 2002
                      Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> writes:

                      > # I've been trying to move my Palm away from closed-source software, so
                      > # I stopped using iSilo (that and it's a slow bloated beast!) I
                      >
                      > As opposed to pedit? pedit fails both of your criteria too. /Paul

                      ;-) I have covert plans to write Emacs for the Palm, but it's a
                      copious-free-time project.

                      If pedit gave me a way to easily map keys on my keyboard to pedit
                      functions (allowing Ctrl, Fn, etc) in less keystrokes than pscripts
                      currently need, I'd be in heaven. I mean, pscripting is a nearly
                      Turing-complete extension language...

                      ian
                    • Gary
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 31, 2002
                        FWIW, I have been using HandStory's converter to get the manuals (from the web page) and any text files I want in .pdb's, and it works flawlessly. PilotInstall, which is free, will do it too, and it will also convert any .jpg to a .prc which doesn't need a viewer!

                        Gary

                        > > Alternatively, could anyone tell me how to create them from the
                        > > html-versions, either on a Windows 2000 PC or on a Linux box?
                        >
                        > iSilo has free converters for both Windows and Linux. The interface
                        > for the Windows converter is very nice, actually; you can customize
                        > the converted document to your heart's content, and even include
                        > images if you want a really large document. Take a look at
                        > http://www.isilox.com for details.
                        >

                        > /|\ Lonnie Foster <lonnief@...> http://pobox.com/~tribble
                        > \|/ When people cease to complain, they cease to think.
                        > /|\ -- Arabic Proverb
                      • Christopher Weible
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 31, 2002
                          At 09:05 AM 5/31/2002, you wrote:
                          >I use Plucker a lot! It's a great application. However, it does not
                          >support VFS, as far as I know.
                          >
                          >I also have them in Plucker format, on a CompactFlash card. To read them,
                          >I have to use FAFileMover and copy the manual to RAM. iSilo can read
                          >directly from the CompactFlash card.

                          I've recently discovered that, if you make a Plucker db launchable, then
                          move it to your card, (I use Launcher III) You can launch the successfully
                          use the db from the external card. You can't see it in the list of dbs, but
                          you *can* access it.

                          Chris Weible
                          cweible@...