Re: [peditors] announcing pToolSet...

  • Jesse Jacobsen
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2002
      On 05/02/02, Paul Nevai wrote:
      > It is fully functional and requires no registration [for the time being]. Any
      > feedback? Enjoy... Paul

      Nice. I like the command menu thing a lot.

      I ran pToolsOn right away, which was OK. However, I don't know if it
      was even necessary. Does pilot-xfer count as a 3rd party install tool,
      or does it count as HotSync?

      Jesse

      --
      For who has known the mind of the LORD? Or who has become His counselor?
      Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2002
        --- In peditors@y..., Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
        Hi Paul,

        pTools crashes my HandEra 330. The pDateVolt works fine by itself. When I turn pToolsOn and select pTools it freezes.

        Thanks for a neat add-on.
        Bill McKelvey

        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2002
          # pTools crashes my HandEra 330. The pDateVolt works fine by itself. When I
          turn pToolsOn and select pTools it freezes.

          Shoot... I will investigate. Best regards, Paul
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2002
            # I ran pToolsOn right away, which was OK. However, I don't know if it
            # was even necessary. Does pilot-xfer count as a 3rd party install tool,
            # or does it count as HotSync?

            Probably unnecessary. Every well written installation tool acts like HotSync.

            You could pToolsOff, then pilot-xfer again and see if it's on by doing a
            command bar job. That would tell you.

            Best regards, Paul
          • Norbert Preining
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2002
              On Fre, 03 Mai 2002, Paul Nevai wrote:
              > # pTools crashes my HandEra 330. The pDateVolt works fine by itself. When I
              > turn pToolsOn and select pTools it freezes.
              >
              > Shoot... I will investigate. Best regards, Paul

              Not so here on my Handera330, which OS version, which hacks?

              Best wishes

              Norbert

              Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> University of Technology Vienna
              BENBURB

              The sort of man who becomes a returning officer.

              --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2002
                # > # pTools crashes my HandEra 330. The pDateVolt works fine by itself. When I
                # > turn pToolsOn and select pTools it freezes.
                # >
                # > Shoot... I will investigate. Best regards, Paul
                #
                # Not so here on my Handera330, which OS version, which hacks?

                Dear Norbert and Bill:

                That's good news. I made pToolSet HandEra330 compatible but I never tested
                it. I just copied the stuff from pedit. BUT, in principle, it should work.

                pToolSet has NOTHING to do with hacks. So it is independednt of all of them.
                Can you, Bill, give some details?

                Best regards, Paul
              • mckelveyw
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2002
                  --- In peditors@y..., Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                  > Dear Norbert and Bill:
                  >
                  > That's good news. I made pToolSet HandEra330 compatible but I never tested
                  > it. I just copied the stuff from pedit. BUT, in principle, it should work.
                  >
                  > pToolSet has NOTHING to do with hacks. So it is independednt of all of them.
                  > Can you, Bill, give some details?
                  >
                  > Best regards, Paul

                  I found the problem! pTools has a conflict with MiddleCapsHack. If I turn it off pTools works fine. Sorry, I should have checked hacks before posting.

                  The question now is, why the conflict?

                  TIA,
                  Bill McKelvey
                  PS I am using Xmaster.
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2002
                    # I found the problem! pTools has a conflict with MiddleCapsHack. If I turn
                    # it off pTools works fine. Sorry, I should have checked hacks before
                    # posting. The question now is, why the conflict?

                    It's trivial. All hacks suck [says Paul betraying his past and looking
                    forward to OS 7]. /Paul

                    P.S. Probably because MiddleCapsHack is a major OS intruder. Right? It redoes
                    the Graffiti area completely. You could ask the MiddleCapsHack guy about
                    notification manager compatibilty. Also, it could be that all the baove +
                    HandEra is too much.
                  • Lonnie Foster
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 2002
                      On Sun, 5 May 2002, Paul Nevai wrote:

                      > # I found the problem! pTools has a conflict with MiddleCapsHack. If I turn
                      > # it off pTools works fine. Sorry, I should have checked hacks before
                      > # posting. The question now is, why the conflict?
                      >
                      > It's trivial. All hacks suck [says Paul betraying his past and looking
                      > forward to OS 7]. /Paul
                      >
                      > P.S. Probably because MiddleCapsHack is a major OS intruder. Right? It redoes
                      > the Graffiti area completely. You could ask the MiddleCapsHack guy about
                      > notification manager compatibilty. Also, it could be that all the baove +
                      > HandEra is too much.

                      I had conflicts between MiddleCapsHack and Poplet Kit. Poplet Kit uses
                      the same command bar icon trick that Paul uses in pTools, so the
                      conflict between MiddleCapsHack and pTools is most likely the same
                      problem.

                      There is a replacement available for MiddleCapsHack called
                      FastCapHack, which you can find at http://micat.uhome.net FastCapHack
                      duplicates most of the features of MiddleCapsHack, and it even
                      properly handles the HandEra 330's virtual Graffiti area. I highly
                      recommend it.

                      /|\ Lonnie Foster <lonnief@...> http://pobox.com/~tribble
                      \|/ When people cease to complain, they cease to think.
                      /|\ -- Arabic Proverb
                    • Jeffrey A. Krzysztow
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 2002
                        At 07:30 PM 5/5/02, you wrote:
                        ># I found the problem! pTools has a conflict with MiddleCapsHack. If I turn
                        ># it off pTools works fine. Sorry, I should have checked hacks before
                        ># posting. The question now is, why the conflict?
                        >
                        >It's trivial. All hacks suck [says Paul betraying his past and looking
                        >forward to OS 7]. /Paul
                        >
                        >P.S. Probably because MiddleCapsHack is a major OS intruder. Right? It redoes
                        >the Graffiti area completely. You could ask the MiddleCapsHack guy about
                        >notification manager compatibilty. Also, it could be that all the baove +
                        >HandEra is too much.

                        Paul,

                        This is not the first time MiddleCapsHack has caused problems, so. Can you
                        do the required functionality in LapTopHack with out the problems?

                        Jeffrey
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 6, 2002
                          # This is not the first time MiddleCapsHack has caused problems, so. Can you
                          # do the required functionality in LapTopHack with out the problems?

                          For a very long time pToolSet will replicate LTH functions EXCEPT that I am
                          rewriting the routines and polishing the stuff up. In due time pToolSet will
                          take over the role of LTH.

                          E.g., the upcoming pToDoTool will have its own ESC key which can be changed
                          on-the-fly. It is really neat. I a working on it as we [I] speak.

                          However, OS 5 will NOT have the appropriate tools which are needed so
                          pToolSet would be as powerful as LTH. My guess is that it will take several
                          generations of OSs till I can convince the Palm people that they should allow
                          the kind of tricks LTH is doing. So pToolSet is NOT a substitute for LTH.

                          pToolSet will be less keyboard oriented but will go for the jugular wherever
                          it is allowed to do so.

                          I want 100% compatibility with all properly written apps.

                          Best regards, Paul
                        • mckelveyw
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 6, 2002
                            Thanks for the info!