how to copy doc files on the SD card

  • Emanuil Giuris
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2002
      Excuse my asking a rather off-topic question: Suppose I write a long memo,
      export it as a doc file and want to copy it to the SD card of my palm m500.
      It doesn' t show on the card! How can I know it is there and copy it back or
      delete it? I read the SD relevant info and I discovered I have to create
      directories on the SD card. How can I create such directories? Do you use
      your SD or MMC cards to store text, memos, docs, e-books? Would you please
      give me a hint? Thank you.

      Emanuil Giuris
      a Greek peditor
    • rvanderwoning
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
        There are several options for this, here's the one I use.

        To create directories, move stuff around, etc. (in other words: to
        perform your basic file management), I use McFile.

        To access files from the card and to run apps directly from the card
        (which the Palm OS cannot do by default; instead it copies the app to
        RAM, runs it and then discards it again when you leave the app), I
        use PiDirect II. PiDirect, only works with read-only databases though
        so if you want to modify the DOC-file, you need to manually copy it
        back to RAM first. To work with read/write databases on an SD/MMC
        card, you could investigate MsMount (which is inferior to PiDirect in
        every other aspect IMHO).

        You can find McFile here:
        http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~imazeki/palm/McFL/index-e.html

        PiDirect and MsMount are both on PalmGear.

        Roy.

        --- In peditors@y..., "Emanuil Giuris" <giuris@s...> wrote:
        > Excuse my asking a rather off-topic question: Suppose I write a
        long memo,
        > export it as a doc file and want to copy it to the SD card of my
        palm m500.
        > It doesn' t show on the card! How can I know it is there and copy
        it back or
        > delete it? I read the SD relevant info and I discovered I have to
        create
        > directories on the SD card. How can I create such directories? Do
        you use
        > your SD or MMC cards to store text, memos, docs, e-books? Would you
        please
        > give me a hint? Thank you.
        >
        > Emanuil Giuris
        > a Greek peditor
      • joshsm
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
          --- In peditors@y..., "rvanderwoning" <rvanderwoning@y...> wrote:
          > There are several options for this, here's the one I use.
          >
          > To create directories, move stuff around, etc. (in other words: to
          > perform your basic file management), I use McFile.
          > --- In peditors@y..., "Emanuil Giuris" <giuris@s...> wrote:
          > > Excuse my asking a rather off-topic question: Suppose I write a
          > long memo,
          > > export it as a doc file and want to copy it to the SD card of my
          > palm m500.

          I use Fileman (instead of McFile). However, the new piDirect has a
          file manager included I believe (I haven't tried it yet).

          Also, you could use a VFS-aware doc reader such as TealDoc, Wordsmith
          (a doc viewer on steroids), or iSilo. As far as I remember, each of
          these can move docs out of RAM onto the card (and back when needed). I
          usually use this approach for docs, etc. and use piDirect for running
          applications. All are available at PalmGear. I'm not sure if the newer
          versions of CSpotRun (a free doc reader) have VFS capabilities, but
          that might be another possibility

          Hope that helps,
          Josh
        • Paolo Amoroso
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
            On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:37:22 +0300, Emanuil Giuris wrote:

            > Excuse my asking a rather off-topic question: Suppose I write a long memo,
            > export it as a doc file and want to copy it to the SD card of my palm m500.

            It's not off-topic because it deals with moving data in and out of pedit.
            But I'm sorry that I can't answer your question.

            Paolo
            http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
            [http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/%5d
          • rvanderwoning
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
              > I use Fileman (instead of McFile). However, the new piDirect has a
              > file manager included I believe (I haven't tried it yet).

              True, but (unfortunately) it only allows you to access the currently
              mounted PiDirect folder on the card and thus also doesn't provide
              directory structure manipulation. For your basic PiDirect management,
              it is fine though.

              Roy.
            • joshsm
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
                --- In peditors@y..., "rvanderwoning" <rvanderwoning@y...> wrote:

                > True, but (unfortunately) it only allows you to access the currently
                > mounted PiDirect folder on the card and thus also doesn't provide
                > directory structure manipulation.

                Good to know. I'm actually still using the 1.1 version because I don't
                need the file manager (especially now that I know its limitations),
                and I don't need the pretty background that the new version has (along
                with it's larger file size). I noticed no difference in performance
                between 1.1 and 2.0, so I stuck with the smaller version.

                Josh
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
                  BTW, I am using Filez. I wrote a new function for Filez: duplicate DB in RAM.
                  Tom, the Filez guy, will soon test it, and it may end up being included in
                  Filez with full credit to me. I spent over week writing that seemingly
                  trivial function but, alas, it's very tricky in the non-trivial cases such as
                  layered DBs and DBs containing deleted and/or archived records. /Paul

                  P.S. All current file duplicating apps are defective in the above described
                  "non-trivial" cases.
                • Emanuil Giuris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
                    Thank you all for the helpful replies. I started using Filez (you can also
                    beam with it!). I also found out that Palm reader (from peanutpress -
                    included with palm m500) can also move docs to and from the SD card.
                    Emanuil Giuris