Why doesn't checkBoxRotator work in main To Do screen?

  • poobah_252
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 24, 2002
      This may be something subtly hidden in the LTH manual somewhere, but
      I have not found it yet.

      When checking off items in the Palm "To Do List" (or the DateBk4
      analogous To Do list view), I'd like the find the simplest way to
      check the boxes without using my stylus.

      The obvious choice appears to be the checkBoxRotator or general
      controlRotator, but neither seems to work. Are these not "real" Palm
      check boxes?

      Is there some other simple way to check these off via PPK, other than
      the keyboard mouse or pPointer?

      Thanks, Bill
      Sunday, 24 March 2002, 8:05pm EST
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 29, 2002
        #
        # The obvious choice appears to be the checkBoxRotator or general
        # controlRotator, but neither seems to work. Are these not "real" Palm
        # check boxes?

        Yep, they are NOT checkboxes. Thet are table components.

        # Is there some other simple way to check these off via PPK, other than
        # the keyboard mouse or pPointer?

        You could write a script using /&tap[...].

        /Paul
      • W. Bruce Maguire II
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 29, 2002
          Fellow peditors (and LTHers):

          I found this on the "Visor" forum. It is no hoax! I just went and checked
          my settings, and everything was marked to give me junk Email! They even
          had "yes" marked to give out my USPS mail address AND phone number!

          Sleazy!

          Please do yourself a favor, and go check your settings.

          Bruce.

          --
          +---------------------+
          | W. Bruce Maguire II |
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 30, 2002
            >I found this on the "Visor" forum. It is no hoax! I just went and checked
            >my settings, and everything was marked to give me junk Email! They even
            >had "yes" marked to give out my USPS mail address AND phone number!

            Same here. They claim:

            >In addition, we have reset marketing preferences for some of our
            >users. If you are one of those users, unless you decide to change
            >these preferences, you may begin receiving marketing messages from
            >Yahoo! about ways to enhance your Yahoo! experience, including
            >special offers and new features.
            >
            >Yahoo! is notifying users of these changes to marketing preferences via email.

            But I have never received such an email.

            John (who now lives at 'Removed because you made it public without my consent')

            email: john@... phone: 07944 755613
            web: www.kershaw.org AOL: johnkershaw
          • billmc101
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 30, 2002
              John,

              This was true on my account also. Thanks so much for the info.

              Bill

              --- In peditors@y..., John Kershaw <yahoogroups@k...> wrote:
              > >I found this on the "Visor" forum. It is no hoax! I just went
              and checked
              > >my settings, and everything was marked to give me junk Email!
              They even
              > >had "yes" marked to give out my USPS mail address AND phone
              number!

              > Same here. They claim:
              >
              > >In addition, we have reset marketing preferences for some of our
              > >users. If you are one of those users, unless you decide to change
              > >these preferences, you may begin receiving marketing messages
              from
              > >Yahoo! about ways to enhance your Yahoo! experience, including
              > >special offers and new features.

            • Paolo Amoroso
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:00:55 -0700, Bruce Maguire wrote:

                > I found this on the "Visor" forum. It is no hoax! I just went and checked
                > my settings, and everything was marked to give me junk Email! They even
                [...]
                > >Subject: [kdc-l] You may have been Yahooed.
                [...]
                > >here's how to fix it:

                > >- click on Account Info (upper right)
                > >
                > >- log in with your Yahoo account/password
                > >
                > >- in mid-page, click on "Edit your marketing preferences"
                > >
                > >Check out all the stuff they've made as "YES" options, including email,

                Could you provide some more details on the page with the "Edit your
                marketing preferences" link? After logging in with my Yahoo
                account/password, I was led to a localized Italian page (with titles like
                "Info Account", "Yahoo! Account Information" and "Verifica delle
                informazioni di account").

                There was apparently no trace of the section for editing the marketing
                preferences. The closest thing was a section named "Informazioni
                personali", which led to a page with a combo box with an option--just a
                single one--for receiving special offers.

                Maybe the account info page is different from countries with privacy
                protection laws.

                Paolo
                http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
                [http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/%5d
              • Jan Erik Moström
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                  At 2002-03-31 14:11, Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@...> wrote:

                  > Maybe the account info page is different from countries with privacy
                  > protection laws.

                  I think it's only the US accounts that have this marketing stuff ... I don't
                  and I've seen in other groups that other europeans don't have the marketing
                  options.

                  jem
                  --
                  Jan Erik Moström jem@... www.mostrom.pp.se
                • Lonnie Foster
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                    On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, John Kershaw wrote:

                    > But I have never received such an email.

                    Same here; I received no such warning that I would have my address and
                    phone number made public to advertisers.

                    > John (who now lives at 'Removed because you made it public without my consent')

                    Excellent idea. I now live at the same address as you, John.

                    Has anyone been able to find an address at Yahoo where I can send
                    angry mail? I've spent half an hour clicking through their site, and I
                    haven't found so much as a feedback form anywhere. I really love a
                    company that cares so little about user feedback.

                    /|\ Lonnie Foster <lonnief@...> http://pobox.com/~tribble
                    \|/ When people cease to complain, they cease to think.
                    /|\ -- Arabic Proverb
                  • Gary
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                      Lonnie,

                      There IS, somewhere, a "customer Support" form which I have managed to find, and fill out, 3 times. I have NEVER received a reply, however. You could try an email to *customersupport@...*, but you probably won't get an answer.

                      Don't you LOVE arrogant people?

                      Gary

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                        # Don't you LOVE arrogant people?

                        They couldn't care less. Not really "arrogant". Simply the company is too big
                        and there is no "personal touch". Try to write and complain to the US
                        government. They will politely respond but the response will totally
                        meaningless and will be unrelated to your message. Just a form letter. /Paul
                      • poobah_252
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                          After you click the "Account Info" link on your "My Groups" page (and
                          possibly verify your account password), then click the "Edit Your
                          Marketing Preferences" link, then click the link that says "Click
                          here to learn more about this new Marketing Preferences page".

                          This takes you to "http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/privacy/privacy-
                          23.html".

                          At the bottom of this page, you can click the "No" button, which
                          says "Ok, click this button for a feedback form."

                          This takes you to a screen with a "mile-long" URL (I'm not going to
                          paste it here), titled "Privacy Policy Help". It says "This form is
                          intended for you to ask questions, give suggestions or make
                          complaints related to the Yahoo! Privacy Policy."

                          That sounds pretty close to what you're looking for to me.

                          I just sent in my inquiry to find out whether they thought they had
                          already sent my E-mail, or if not, how soon they were planning to do
                          so.

                          Regards, Bill
                          Sunday, 31 March 2002, 8:17pm EST

                          *****
                          Message 17255
                          From: Lonnie Foster <lonnief@p...>
                          Date: Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:40 pm
                          Subject: Re: [peditors] !Important! Yahoo may have changed
                          your "marketing" settings!

                          On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, John Kershaw wrote:

                          > But I have never received such an email.

                          Same here; I received no such warning that I would have my address and
                          phone number made public to advertisers.

                          > John (who now lives at 'Removed because you made it public without
                          my
                          consent')

                          Excellent idea. I now live at the same address as you, John.

                          Has anyone been able to find an address at Yahoo where I can send
                          angry mail? I've spent half an hour clicking through their site, and I
                          haven't found so much as a feedback form anywhere. I really love a
                          company that cares so little about user feedback.
                        • W. B. Maguire II
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                            John:

                            I _like_ that address. ;-) Guess what? I just moved too...to a
                            surprisingly similar address! Yahoo can also call me anytime they want, at
                            my new phone number: 555-555-5555!

                            I, too, never received any warning Email. They are full of it to even
                            _claim_ that they sent out Emails (we represent zero-for-three so
                            far)! The more I think about it, the sleazier this act was! The more I
                            read about Enron, Andersen, and others, the more I'm shocked by the
                            _complete_ lack of ethics in the "leaders" at these companies; I guess
                            Yahoo is yearning to be one of the crowd when it comes to being
                            ethically-challenged!

                            When I first saw this info. posted on the Visor forum, it was the _only_
                            forum out of the four or five of which I'm a member that had been
                            informed! So, I would encourage everyone to make sure that _EVERY_ forum
                            to which they belong is notified---if someone else hasn't beaten you to it,
                            please let the other forums know!

                            Bruce.

                            At 01:39 AM 4/1/02 +0000, you wrote:
                            >--- In peditors@y..., Lonnie Foster <lonnief@p...> wrote:
                            >On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, John Kershaw wrote:
                            >
                            > > But I have never received such an email.
                            >
                            >Same here; I received no such warning that I would have my address and
                            >phone number made public to advertisers.
                            >
                            > > John (who now lives at 'Removed because you made it public without
                            >my consent')
                            >
                            >Excellent idea. I now live at the same address as you, John.

                            --
                            __________ Maguire@... ________
                            / \
                            | W. B. Maguire II, Ph.D. Tel: 303.752.6700 |
                            | Chief Executive Manager FAX: 888.600.4210 |
                            | Analytic Investments LLC |
                            | 700 Ken Pratt Dr STE 204-166, Longmont, CO, 80501 |
                            \___________________________________________________/
                          • Teri Pittman
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                              At 07:00 PM 03/31/2002 -0700, you wrote:

                              >When I first saw this info. posted on the Visor forum, it was the _only_
                              >forum out of the four or five of which I'm a member that had been
                              >informed! So, I would encourage everyone to make sure that _EVERY_ forum
                              >to which they belong is notified---if someone else hasn't beaten you to it,
                              >please let the other forums know!

                              I learned about it from someone on my Spindlitis list, checked it out and
                              immediately sent it to the other fiber lists I'm on. I was a bit hesitant
                              to send it out to other lists, so I waited a few days to see if it would
                              show up. Sent it out to the GTD list--would have sent it here, but someone
                              beat me to it *grin*!

                              The most interesting thing, that you should also post when you send the
                              alert out, is that it seems to apply just to Yahoo users in the US. Some
                              of the people who think that you shouldn't mind paying for the service feel
                              differently about it when they learn that just US users get to put up with
                              the spam.
                              Teri Pittman
                              tpittman@...
                              New and improved site: http://www.xws.com/terispage/
                            • joshsm
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 31, 2002
                                --- In peditors@y..., "W. B. Maguire II" <maguire@t...> wrote:
                                > I, too, never received any warning Email. They are full of it to even
                                > _claim_ that they sent out Emails (we represent zero-for-three so
                                > far)! The more I think about it, the sleazier this act was!

                                I actually recevied an email. Of course it was a number of days after
                                warnings "exploded" on the groups. I also was set up to have POP3
                                capability (which is going away unless I pay a yearly fee - not really
                                worth it to me; that's why I have a real ISP), so maybe that's why.
                                (In return for getting POP3 access I was supposed to receive a piece
                                of spam every month - seemed like a resonable trade-off at the time.)

                                Cheers,
                                Josh
                              • Cyril Catt
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 1, 2002
                                  We received warning of Yahoo's settings changes on the peditor forum at
                                  much the same time as the slide rule collector's forum.

                                  Sure enough, my settings had been changed. That's for the US Yahoo site,
                                  received here in Australia. I still get about 30 junk emails a day,
                                  predominantly from US vendors, who probably don't ship to Australia
                                  anyway. My record was over 3000 in a day. Maybe a one cent per message
                                  sent charge would cut down on some of this waste of bandwidth?

                                  pCyril
                                • Paolo Amoroso
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 1, 2002
                                    On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:40:35 -0800 (PST), Lonnie Foster wrote:

                                    > Has anyone been able to find an address at Yahoo where I can send
                                    > angry mail? I've spent half an hour clicking through their site, and I
                                    > haven't found so much as a feedback form anywhere. I really love a

                                    Even if such address exists, I suspect that the service it provides is very
                                    similar to /dev/null. Since you live in the US, I suggest that you use the
                                    trusty old way of griping with old economy companies also with these new
                                    economy ones: pick up the phone and let them know what you think abot them.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 1, 2002
                                      On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 19:00:48 -0700, Bruce Maguire wrote:

                                      > _complete_ lack of ethics in the "leaders" at these companies; I guess
                                      > Yahoo is yearning to be one of the crowd when it comes to being
                                      > ethically-challenged!

                                      eGroups was much better.

                                      > When I first saw this info. posted on the Visor forum, it was the _only_
                                      > forum out of the four or five of which I'm a member that had been
                                      > informed! So, I would encourage everyone to make sure that _EVERY_ forum
                                      > to which they belong is notified---if someone else hasn't beaten you to it,

                                      The situation is probably better than that. I have seen such a notice also
                                      in an Apollo-related group to which I subscribe.

                                      If you notify other groups, don't forget to let them know about the street
                                      address to which you moved :)

                                      Paolo
                                      http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
                                      [http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/%5d
                                    • Daniel Bergman
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 1, 2002
                                        Some more info about this from MSNBC.com:

                                        http://www.msnbc.com/news/731517.asp?cp1=1

                                        /Daniel
                                      • John Kershaw
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 1, 2002
                                          >Some more info about this from MSNBC.com:
                                          >
                                          >http://www.msnbc.com/news/731517.asp?cp1=1

                                          This *really* takes the biscuit - I signed up for a Hotmail account
                                          (just to figure out how to change some settings for a friend), ticked
                                          all the 'no spam' boxes and received half a dozen *personalised* spam
                                          messages from a range of companies every day. At no point did I use
                                          that address to sign up anywhere, so Microsoft must just give
                                          people's Hotmail addresses straight to advertisers/spammers.

                                          Come in 'Kettle Black'.

                                          John.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 1, 2002
                                            On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Daniel Bergman wrote:

                                            > Some more info about this from MSNBC.com:
                                            >
                                            > http://www.msnbc.com/news/731517.asp?cp1=1

                                            Right on. At least Yahoo's getting bad press about this. Individual
                                            complaints are easy to ignore, particularly when you make it hard for
                                            your users to find contact information about your company. It's much
                                            harder to ignore news media when they're making your company look bad
                                            in *very* public forums.

                                            /|\ Lonnie Foster <lonnief@...> http://pobox.com/~tribble
                                            \|/ When people cease to complain, they cease to think.
                                            /|\ -- Arabic Proverb
                                          • rvanderwoning
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 1, 2002
                                              --- In peditors@y..., Lonnie Foster <lonnief@p...> wrote:
                                              > On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Daniel Bergman wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Some more info about this from MSNBC.com:
                                              > >
                                              > > http://www.msnbc.com/news/731517.asp?cp1=1
                                              >
                                              > Right on. At least Yahoo's getting bad press about this. Individual
                                              > complaints are easy to ignore, particularly when you make it hard
                                              > for your users to find contact information about your company.
                                              > It's much harder to ignore news media when they're making your
                                              > company look bad in *very* public forums.

                                              Note that the article doesn't even mention the fact that countless
                                              users have *not* received a prior notice regarding this marketing
                                              policy change (I'd rather call it a scam). This would put Yahoo in an
                                              even worse daylight.

                                              Also note the one before last sentence in the article: "But even
                                              performing that slightly cumbersome operation is no guarantee that
                                              Yahoo! marketing offers won't come, since the firm reserves the right
                                              to add marketing categories at any time". Good thing that I didn't
                                              put up my regular email address when I signed up...

                                              Roy.
                                            • rhithyn1
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 1, 2002
                                                First of all, thanks for the heads up.... Yahoo took a nasty action
                                                that should be punished accordingly... anyone have ideas for
                                                alternative hostings for this forum?

                                                Also, I would like to point out that Canadians are getting this
                                                problem as well, so maybe North Americans are the ones plagued with
                                                marketitis.
                                              • bchirgwin
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 2, 2002
                                                  I changed my address and phone number to Yahoo in Sunnyvale, CA.
                                                  Let them deal with the telemarketing calls and and the junk mail.
                                                  Let them waste their time and increase their own costs for garbage
                                                  removal. Everyone should do the same. State you want to receive
                                                  everything EVERYTHING, give them work to do.

                                                  In fact, everyone should create 5 new accounts.