Re: HandEra - SOS

  • docnighthawk
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
      --- In peditors@y..., Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
      > Hi Guys:
      >
      > I know that several compatibility wish lists were submitted
      regarding HandEra
      > vs pedit and LTH. I can't find them. Please give me pointers. /Paul

      =====
      List view on the HandEra is truncated and double spaced

      List View on a standard 160x160 screen appears as:
      16. everyone was a revolutionary.
      17. Thought/Emotion/Personality:
      18. voters are in a fix similar to tha...

      List View on a HandEra in Scale to Fit mode appears:

      16. everyone was a revol

      17. Thought/Emotion/Pe

      18. voters are in a fix si

      =====
      On the HandEra the size of overlay screens is affected by the
      resolution of the current application. For example, if the active
      application is Hi-Res (QuickSheet or built-in Date Book), the initial
      superFinderhack screen will be relegated to the upper left corner.
      But if initial screen is Scale-to-Fit (peditPro, HandyShopper 2.2),
      The initial screen will all but cover the 240x240 area of the screen.

      Interestingly, the actual search screen is unaffected. It all but
      covers the 240x240 screen.

      =====
      In ListView, I would like lists to add additional items if the
      virtual Graffiti area is collapsed and refocus on a highlighted item
      when the Graffiti area is expanded.

      =====
      Message 16426

      > I like the 330 (although I do wish they had used a higher resolution
      > with integer scaling - i.e. 320xsomething rather than 240xwhatever
      > which has a 1.5x pixel scaling ratio in scale-to-fit

      I agree that 2.0 scaling makes more sense when the virtual graffiti
      area is active. Sony's 320x320 gives it four times the standard
      screens 160x160 pixels; the HandEra's 240x240 gives it only three
      times the number of pixels. Plus the problems of half pixels.

      But, when the virtual graffiti area is collapsed and the screen
      rotated 90° in to 320x240's landscape" mode, 1.5 scaling has
      advantages.

      The collapsed graffiti area expands the screen by about 30%. Items
      on the HandEra are not only higher resolution but they can also be
      bigger with no loss of displayed data.

      In addition, 320x240 has the same aspect ratio as VGA's 640x480 and
      very close to 800x600. This format makes much more sense for tables,
      spreadsheets and "slide presentations."

      I often wish I could also use it in pedit. I have been using Profont
      7 for much of my work. Would I rather use a larger font--Sure. But
      Profont 7 allows longer screen lines. Even with Profont 7, I find
      the screen width limiting.

      =====
      message 13946

      LapTopHack seems to work except that it causes problem with other
      program information dialogs by causing the text to appear twice,
      kind of like when you forget to 0 terminate strings. Other than
      this I haven't found anything else that doesn't work but I don't
      usually have it enabled because of the above problem and therefore
      haven't tested it extensively.

      ...It would also be nice if the pedit could be updated to handle the
      high res screen but I know that Paul doesn't own one and the HandEra
      support in POSE doesn't work on the Mac so he can't really do testing
      for it.

      Dan Hughes

      - - -
      My problems with garbage being written to popup windows is not a Paul
      Computing issue. I have had that happen in VoicePad a HandEra app.

      Peter R.

      =====
      Support for the jog dial a screen at a time,

      the jog dial can be pushed as well,

      and back button

      pedit List View Screen:
      - If no item is highlighted,
      pressing the jog dial will highlight the first item on the screen

      - If an item is highlighted,
      pressing the jog dial will open the item

      - If no item is highlighted,
      scrolling the jog dial will scroll the display a screen at a time

      - If an item is highlighted,
      scrolling the jog dial will hilight the prev/next item in order

      - If no item is highlighted,
      pressing the back button will exit

      - If an item is highlighted,
      pressing the back button will deselect the item

      =====
      LapTopHack

      - If an item is highlighted,
      scrolling the jog dial will select the prev/next item in order
      etc.

      =====
      Ability to use the 8 Handera fonts.

      =====
      VFS-support

      "All Accounting is creative."
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 3 4:33 AM
        Dear Guys, especially HandEra Guys:

        # =====
        # List view on the HandEra is truncated and double spaced
        #
        # List View on a standard 160x160 screen appears as:
        # 16. everyone was a revolutionary.
        # 17. Thought/Emotion/Personality:
        # 18. voters are in a fix similar to tha...
        # List View on a HandEra in Scale to Fit mode appears:
        #
        # 16. everyone was a revol
        #
        # 17. Thought/Emotion/Pe
        #
        # 18. voters are in a fix si
        #
        # =====

        It appears to me that this was the only pedit vs HandEra problem besides the
        stuff being drawn over the graffiti area. I fixed the latter and will
        send the HandEra owners a copy to test.

        As far as the above goes, it DOES NOT seem to be true on plain HandEras so
        whoever had the problem must have used so hacks or such. Please confirm that
        I am right.

        JogDial stuff? I am not gonna do that. I am not doing HandEra features until
        HandEra becomes a prominent player. So far it is not the case. I am doing
        only HandEra compatibility.

        Any other pedit vs HandEra issues?

        /Paul
      • Dan Hughes
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 4 9:55 AM
          Paul,

          I had the double spaced list problem and I tracked it down to the
          pedit entries in the Saved Preferences. I had been using a TRGpro
          and just copied everything from it to my HandEra 330. Once I
          cleaned out all of the "pnPr" entries using RsrcEdit things started
          working fine.

          The only major problem I have is actually with LTH and the display
          of popup messages when LTH is enabled causing them to show the text
          followed by garbage similar to when a text string is not null terminated.
          I'm sure you will get that fixed when you get the time to look at it.

          Thanks for the effort you are putting in adding HandEra support. The code
          you have sent is working great.

          --
          Dan Hughes
          Software Engineer American Cybernetics, Inc.

[...]

          Check the beginners' pedit pTutor site at
          http://home.att.net/~leehauser/ptutor/index.htm
          Latest pedit&LapTopHack at
          http://home.columbus.rr.com/nevai/palm/pc_beta.zip
          To unsubscribe from this group, write to
          peditors-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 5 7:40 AM
            # The only major problem I have is actually with LTH and the display
            # of popup messages when LTH is enabled causing them to show the text
            # followed by garbage similar to when a text string is not null terminated.
            # I'm sure you will get that fixed when you get the time to look at it.

            Who cares - smiley - today. I will start working on LTH vs Handera after I
            finished the peditorial issues. /Paul
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 5 7:44 AM
              Hi Don:

              # I had the double spaced list problem and I tracked it down to the pedit
              # entries in the Saved Preferences. I had been using a TRGpro and just
              # copied everything from it to my HandEra 330. Once I cleaned out all of the
              # "pnPr" entries using RsrcEdit things started working fine.

              Thanks! I kind of remember that you told me this before. I am not sure why it
              worked. WRONG WORDING. I am SURE I don't know...

              The prefs can be cleaned with pedit too. There is a menu command for it. I
              will bcc this to the HandEra list [you are on it too] and ask them to follow
              your instructions and see if it worked.

              I also ask the guys to tell me if it worked.

              Best regards, Paul
            • docnighthawk
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 5 5:25 PM
                --- In peditors@y..., Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:

                > The prefs can be cleaned with pedit too. There is a menu command
                for it. I
                > will bcc this to the HandEra list [you are on it too] and ask them
                to follow
                > your instructions and see if it worked.
                >
                > I also ask the guys to tell me if it worked.
                >
                > Best regards, Paul

                That was simple enough--List View is back to normal

                Thanks

                Peter R.

                "All Accounting is creative."
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 8 5:26 AM
                  # The only major problem I have is actually with LTH and the display
                  # of popup messages when LTH is enabled causing them to show the text
                  # followed by garbage similar to when a text string is not null terminated.
                  # I'm sure you will get that fixed when you get the time to look at it.

                  Hi Dan:

                  I need a very very simple and concrete example which I can reproduce with the
                  built-in apps + LTH. Nothing fancy. Please give all the steps required to
                  reproduce it. Best regards, Paul
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 26 6:39 AM
                    Dear Dan:

                    # The only major problem I have is actually with LTH and the display
                    # of popup messages when LTH is enabled causing them to show the text
                    # followed by garbage similar to when a text string is not null terminated.
                    # I'm sure you will get that fixed when you get the time to look at it.

                    I still need a very specific generic example which I can reproduce on a stock
                    out-of-the-box HandEra with TealMaster and LTH. Otherwise, I can't fix this.

                    The example should be such that I can reproduce it.

                    Best regards, Paul
                  • joshsm
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 26 1:14 PM
                      --- In peditors@y..., Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                      > I still need a very specific generic example which I can reproduce
                      on a stock
                      > out-of-the-box HandEra with TealMaster and LTH. Otherwise, I can't
                      fix this.

                      > The example should be such that I can reproduce it.
                      >
                      > Best regards, Paul

                      Can you install any third party software such as DateBk4? I know that
                      when I have LTH active and try to switch databases (menu Misc-Select
                      Database) in DateBk4 (my current version is 5.0pO), I get the garbage
                      on the screen. It seems to happen with some third party apps that do
                      not run in the native 240x240 mode and use the "scale-to-fit" mode. I
                      don't know of any "scale-to-fit" apps that came standard on the
                      Handera (of course that doesn't mean there weren't).
                    • joshsm
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 26 1:58 PM
                        --- In peditors@y..., "joshsm" <joshsm@y...> wrote:
                        > don't know of any "scale-to-fit" apps that came standard on the
                        > Handera (of course that doesn't mean there weren't).

                        I lied. If you have a CF card (from your TRGPro days) or a MMC/SD
                        card (a regular one, not one with some special M5xx functionality),
                        you can open up CardPro (successor to CardPro on the TRG). Try to
                        copy a file to the CF/SD/MMC card. A dialog box will popup asking for
                        conmfirmation of your action along with the screen garbage. (Screen
                        garbage will also be left after the dialog box disappears. This does
                        not happen if LTH is inactive.)

                        HTH,
                        Josh
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 26 2:08 PM
                          # I lied. If you have a CF card (from your TRGPro days) or a MMC/SD
                          # card (a regular one, not one with some special M5xx functionality),
                          # you can open up CardPro (successor to CardPro on the TRG). Try to
                          # copy a file to the CF/SD/MMC card. A dialog box will popup asking for
                          # conmfirmation of your action along with the screen garbage. (Screen
                          # garbage will also be left after the dialog box disappears. This does
                          # not happen if LTH is inactive.)

                          This has been fixed already a long time ago. More precisely, at 13:06:46 EST
                          today. Dan Hughes has already tested it. I am sending it to you separately.
                          /Paul
                        • mckelveyw
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 26 8:05 PM
                            Paul,

                            Would you send me a copy? I would love to be able to use LTH again.

                            Thanks,
                            Bill McKelvey

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 27 3:32 AM
                              # Would you send me a copy? I would love to be able to use LTH again.

                              I will, later today. Still working... Best regards, Paul