Re: Communication Style? WHAT STYLE?!?!?

  • W. B. Maguire II
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2002
      At 11:43 PM 1/4/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >--- In peditors@y..., "jimtucker65" <jim.tucker@w...> wrote:
      >--- In peditors@y..., "W. Bruce Maguire II" <maguire@t...> wrote:
      > > Paul was kind enough to send me a personal E-mail,
      > > and I realize this about his communication style now.
      >
      >What exactly did you realize about communication style, Bruce?
      >--- End forwarded message ---

      >That he is infinitely wise, intelligent, thoughtful, tactful, witty, modest,
      >honest, and truthful. /Bruce [aka Paul]

      That Paul is infinitely wise, intelligent, thoughtful, tactful, witty,
      modest, honest, and truthful---but oftentimes he hides his true nature on
      the forum for fear of intimidating all the peditors. ;-)

      But seriously, I learned that Paul communicates the way _he_ wants to, and
      not according to someone else's ideas of tactfulness (namely mine). Since
      I now understand that his manner was not really an insult directed at me,
      but rather his standard address, I'm willing to accept the challenge of
      communication with Paul---without reading too much into his posts!

      I, personally, believe in giving others the benefit of the doubt and
      treating them as _I_ would want to be treated. I imagine Paul feels the
      same---it's just that his view of "treatment" is different than mine. Paul
      explained that "!!!" (three exclamation marks) was _not_ meant to
      communicate yelling. That is how I read it. This mistake is a common
      problem with text communication: the receiver cannot hear tone or
      inflection, nor see facial expressions.

      Besides, I'm credited in the manual...I _CAN'T_ be mad at him! ;-)

      Bruce.

      --
      / \
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2002
        We-e-ll... But then, there are LOTS of people
        mentioned in the manual(s)! <grin>

        Gary