Re: [peditors] Good news from Jerry Skelley

  • The White Crow
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3, 2001
      At 08:52 PM 12/3/2001 +0100, you wrote:
      >New peditors may not know about Jerry Skelley. He is a longtime peditor who
      >contributed important ideas and tools. He boldly went were no peditor had
      >gone before :-)

      Glad to hear that Jerry is alive and doing well -- I know I've missed his
      posts on here. Good to see the music is what is taking up all his time and
      not something less fortunate -- I wonder if Jerry will ever share a few
      samples with fellow peditors?

      >Jerry was the first to realize, for example, that it was possible to
      >automate some pedit operations via Palm OS system shortcuts. Although this
      >feature is probably obsolete, the idea provided a glimpse of the power of
      >scripting.

      I don't know that it is completely obsolete -- after all, pscripting may be
      overkill or not as fast to launch, or you don't want to clutter up your
      nearly full scriptPad with the little scripts.... ;) I still have a couple
      hanging around from the dawn of time (i.e., before pScripting) that it was
      just more work to convert than seemed worthwhile.

      >He also developed pDesk, a desktop application for reading and exporting
      >memos, and pDict, an onboard spelling checker that is currently being
      >revised and extended by Dan Patterson. Both tools are available at the
      >Files section of the forum.

      I still use pDesk on an almost daily basis.

      >Best wishes, Jerry!

      Ditto!

      Jennifer
    • jesk50@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3, 2001
        Hi Jennifer et al,

        --- In peditors@y..., The White Crow <whytcrow@i...> wrote:

        > I still use pDesk on an almost daily basis.

        ++++++++++

        WOW!! Really?

        Okay I'm still alive and kicking, still pediting but now with a
        Stowaway keyboard and my Visor. I'm afraid I'm not challenging pedit
        much currently, but Paolo's recent inquiry message to me was a
        pleasant reminder of my friends here on the pedit forum. My email
        box has actually been pretty empty lately after I trash the junk
        solicitations. ;)

        Anyway I will start monitoring the board again now. At this stage I
        really need to re-read the Paul's entire collection of manuals. Is
        there such a thing as "half-life" for knowledge. I've missed about
        six months of PaulComputing developments.

        RE my music
        My current plan for music is to get nice clean recordings of enough
        songs to create one CD for each of my three distinct styles: pop
        (piano lounge), singalong (kinda like ragtime), and new age (already
        used in some local original theatre productions). Hopefully these
        CDs will sell locally and I won't wind up in debt with hundreds of
        left-overs. Somewhere along the way I'll set up a web page with
        samples.

        Nice to be back,

        Jerry
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 4, 2001
          # Okay I'm still alive and kicking, still pediting but now with a Stowaway
          # keyboard and my Visor. I'm afraid I'm not challenging pedit much
          # currently, but Paolo's recent inquiry message to me was a pleasant reminder
          # of my friends here on the pedit forum. My email box has actually been
          # pretty empty lately after I trash the junk solicitations. ;)

          Hi Jerry:

          We [or at least I] really missed you. AMB=Paul

          P.S. Now if we could find out where Margret is. I am seriously worried. She
          has [or had] a home page but I can't find the URL. I thought I saved her
          e-mail where she told me but I can't find it. It was not under her name.
        • The White Crow
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 4, 2001
            At 02:56 AM 12/4/2001 +0000, you wrote:
            >Hi Jennifer et al,

            Hey there!

            >--- In peditors@y..., The White Crow <whytcrow@i...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I still use pDesk on an almost daily basis.
            >
            >WOW!! Really?

            Yes, really. :) Gotta have some way of pulling those files out. Now,
            people have worked on other programs, but they are either stalled in
            development (Joe Chott's memo editor) or require more work than I feel
            interested in putting into it (memoCircus) to set up. (Note that this is
            not a negative comment on either program)

            Daily is actually a strong term, since I don't need to print stuff out that
            often, and I occasionally do it via TealPrint (via printHack), but it
            remains part of my necessary tools.

            >Okay I'm still alive and kicking, still pediting but now with a
            >Stowaway keyboard and my Visor. I'm afraid I'm not challenging pedit
            >much currently, but Paolo's recent inquiry message to me was a
            >pleasant reminder of my friends here on the pedit forum. My email
            >box has actually been pretty empty lately after I trash the junk
            >solicitations. ;)

            It takes a lot to challenge pedit these days. You have to get past it
            challenging you! ;) Finding pedit's limitations are a lot harder to do now
            that Paul has added such scope to pScripting and other features.

            >Anyway I will start monitoring the board again now. At this stage I
            >really need to re-read the Paul's entire collection of manuals. Is
            >there such a thing as "half-life" for knowledge. I've missed about
            >six months of PaulComputing developments.

            I'd just read the current one. that's all you need. Six months is a long
            time there -- you just have to start at the top and work your way down. I
            don't remember if pScripting was around then or not, but if it was, it is
            very different now. And lots of other little changes are in there. Just
            start as if you were a newbie, read the tutorials, and go from there. :)

            >RE my music
            >My current plan for music is to get nice clean recordings of enough
            >songs to create one CD for each of my three distinct styles: pop
            >(piano lounge), singalong (kinda like ragtime), and new age (already
            >used in some local original theatre productions). Hopefully these
            >CDs will sell locally and I won't wind up in debt with hundreds of
            >left-overs. Somewhere along the way I'll set up a web page with
            >samples.

            Be sure to post it here when you do get it set up. Good luck on the CDs!

            >Nice to be back,

            Glad to have you back!

            pJennifer
          • Dirk Spackman
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 4, 2001
              Welcome back Jerry! I too use pDesk alot. It's like pedit. You can't beat
              something that works and does what you want. Gook luck with your music! Let
              us know when the web page goes up. Dirk [:o)

              http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/x/pc_beta.zip
              > To unsubscribe from this group, write to
              peditors-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            • Jesse Jacobsen
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 4, 2001
                On 12/04/01, The White Crow wrote:
                > Yes, really. :) Gotta have some way of pulling those files out. Now,
                > people have worked on other programs, but they are either stalled in
                > development (Joe Chott's memo editor) or require more work than I feel
                > interested in putting into it (memoCircus) to set up. (Note that this is
                > not a negative comment on either program)

                Well, it highlights the benefit of using BASIC -- which is automatically
                available on all MS platforms. This makes me wonder if anyone's tried
                this in AppleScript yet -- a language available on every Mac. I used to
                make money (not lots, but some) writing lots of AppleScripts when I was
                in school. I don't have a Mac of my own, but maybe I could borrow my
                wife's when she's not working on it. I don't even know if you can do
                binary or bit-level data manipulation in the language, but a
                pMemoDBReader in AppleScript would have many of the same advantages as
                pDesk, only on the Mac.

                Jesse

                --
                By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God,
                so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 4, 2001
                  >Well, it highlights the benefit of using BASIC -- which is automatically
                  >available on all MS platforms. This makes me wonder if anyone's tried
                  >this in AppleScript yet -- a language available on every Mac. I used to
                  >make money (not lots, but some) writing lots of AppleScripts when I was
                  >in school. I don't have a Mac of my own, but maybe I could borrow my
                  >wife's when she's not working on it. I don't even know if you can do
                  >binary or bit-level data manipulation in the language, but a
                  >pMemoDBReader in AppleScript would have many of the same advantages as
                  >pDesk, only on the Mac.

                  Jan is working on such a beast right now, though I think he's using
                  RealBasic rather than AppleScript. I believe he's got the internals
                  working and is now polishing the interface. We await further
                  announcements.

                  John.

                  email: john@... phone: 07944 755613
                  web: www.kershaw.org AOL: johnkershaw
                • Jan Erik Moström
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 5, 2001
                    On 2001-12-05 at 07:58, John Kershaw <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                    > >This makes me wonder if anyone's tried
                    > >this in AppleScript yet -- a language available on every Mac. I used to
                    > >make money (not lots, but some) writing lots of AppleScripts when I was
                    > >in school. I don't have a Mac of my own, but maybe I could borrow my
                    > >wife's when she's not working on it. I don't even know if you can do
                    > >binary or bit-level data manipulation in the language, but a
                    > >pMemoDBReader in AppleScript would have many of the same advantages as
                    > >pDesk, only on the Mac.
                    >
                    > Jan is working on such a beast right now, though I think he's using
                    > RealBasic rather than AppleScript. I believe he's got the internals
                    > working and is now polishing the interface. We await further
                    > announcements.

                    It's kind of difficult doing it in AppleScript (you need to install some OSAXs)
                    and then you need some kind of user interface which can be done (kind of) using
                    the free OSAX Dialog Director ... I've done several AppleScripts that uses
                    Dialog Director (haven't bothered to try reading binary data since the
                    description I got from a very experienced AppleScripter suggested that it
                    wouldn't be a "clean" solution) and it has some problems if the user interface
                    becomes complex.

                    Anyway, last month (I think it was) I bought REALbasic and built a small program
                    to extract the memos directly from the database files. It worked but was very
                    simple and when I asked for a few people to test it before releasing it, the
                    majority thought I should try to implement a version that could edit files also.

                    So I went back to the drawing board and redesigned the whole thing (editing
                    requires more support from the application) and now I have an application that
                    can extract information from the databases, show memos depending on category,
                    allow the user to change categories of a memo, etc. But there are some vital
                    parts of creating new memos/databases missing plus that I would like to improve
                    the user interface a bit before releasing it.

                    My plan is to release a basic "Light" version that supports

                    + Opening of existing databases (done)

                    + Extracting of memos in various ways (more or less done)

                    + Adding new memos to a database (not finished)

                    + Creating new databases (not finished)

                    + Allow changing of categories (done)

                    + A simple but effective UI (almost done)

                    Then if I get the free time and there is some interest I've been thinking of a
                    "Pro" version that would support (for example)

                    + Segementing like pedit does

                    + Adding the command "Edit in BBEdit" (those of you who have used
                    Frontier or Interarchy together with BBEdit knows what I mean)

                    + Allow the change of all attributes that can be changed

                    + Printing

                    + Better UI

                    + And perhaps some way of archiving notes

                    + Looking at the possibility for a Windows version of the program

                    + And then I got some wild idea of perhaps adding some support for DOC
                    files ... if I can any good documentation of the format.

                    Now we come to the sad part of he whole thing: time. It wouldn't take long for
                    me to implement and test the things that's left ... if it hadn't been for my
                    work 8-)

                    I work as a teacher/researcher at a university and the months of october to
                    december is when I do the majority of my work ... which explains why so little
                    has happened the last few weeks. But I thought I would get some time later this
                    week ... but just 30 minutes ago I got an email from my advisor that told me
                    that I now have a "discussant" and that he needs of final version of my thesis
                    as soon as possible (= this week). So, now I have to put everything else on the
                    side (to the immense "happiness" of my students who waits for their exam results
                    8-) and fix this.

                    So, my program is coming ... and as soon as I can manage ... I hope that those
                    of you who is waiting for the program understand why it's being delayed.

                    jem
                    --
                    Jan Erik Moström mailto:jem@...
                    Free Elektron http://www.mostrom.pp.se/folk/jem/
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 5, 2001
                      >So, my program is coming ... and as soon as I can manage ... I hope that those
                      >of you who is waiting for the program understand why it's being delayed.

                      A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but a bird in the bush
                      is better than no bird at all :)

                      Focus on the stuff that pays, we can wait :)

                      Thanks for your hard work to date.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 5, 2001
                        In a message dated 12/4/01 3:53:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                        jmjaco@... writes:

                        > Well, it highlights the benefit of using BASIC -- which is automatically
                        > available on all MS platforms.

                        Actually that's not true anymore. Microsoft stopped the automatic inclusion
                        of BASIC back around Win95, but you can still find it on the web.
                        Jerry

                      • Jesse Jacobsen
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 5, 2001
                          Hi Jan,

                          You certainly seem to have your hands full with this project, but I'm
                          sure you'll find the time! I don't know how well you'd understand
                          Python syntax (it's fairly simple), but please feel free to look at,
                          borrow, or whatever any of the code in MemoCircus. I have the same time
                          problem, so it's been "on hold" more or less for a while now. Still, it
                          already does the following things from your "To Do/Done" list:

                          On 12/05/01, Jan Erik Mostr?m wrote:
                          > + Opening of existing databases (done)
                          >
                          > + Extracting of memos in various ways (more or less done)
                          >
                          > + Adding new memos to a database (not finished)
                          >
                          > + Creating new databases (not finished)
                          >
                          > + Segementing like pedit does

                          (Maybe, I'd have to check to see if this works:)
                          > + Allow changing of categories (done)

                          (If CLUI's are "simple":)
                          > + A simple but effective UI (almost done)

                          (I'd have to check this one too:)
                          > + Allow the change of all attributes that can be changed

                          (The following are possible in *nix by combining other programs together
                          with MemoCircus, but this tradition is not common on other platforms.)
                          > + Printing
                          >
                          > + Better UI
                          >
                          > + And perhaps some way of archiving notes

                          MemoCircus is heavily object oriented, and that combined with a syntax
                          new to you might make it hard to see what's going on, but what it does
                          is correct as far as I know. It ought to work on the Mac, though I
                          haven't tried. It uses a series of Python extensions that, when
                          compiled from source, are architecture- and os-specific. Also, it ought
                          to work with Python 2.x now -- I need to check this again now.

                          I think you can find it here:
                          http://webpages.charter.net/jmjacobsen/jesse/memocircus.html

                          Good luck. I hope to see your finished code sometime in the next few
                          months!

                          Jesse

                          --
                          For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory
                          forever. Amen.
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 5, 2001
                            On 2001-12-05 at 10:04, Jesse Jacobsen <jmjaco@...> wrote:

                            > I don't know how well you'd understand Python syntax (it's fairly
                            > simple),

                            I've never learned Python so there are a few things there that looks a bit
                            confusing but when I find the time, I'll probably have to look at the syntax.
                            My previous experiences are from languages like assembler, basic, pascal,
                            modula, occam, perl, sed/awk, C, Java, AppleScript, HyperTalk, Fortran, Ada,
                            etc, etc, so I tend to learn new languages pretty quickly.

                            > (If CLUI's are "simple":)
                            > > + A simple but effective UI (almost done)

                            A little bit more advanced than that. It's going to have graphical user
                            interface with the ability of drag/drop etc.

                            It's going to look something like this: <http://www.mostrom.pp.se/mpm.gif>

                            > (The following are possible in *nix by combining other programs together
                            > with MemoCircus, but this tradition is not common on other platforms.)

                            I can only say that after having been forced to wait for a long time before
                            installing OS X, I did this yesterday ... and it's really nice. It's possible to
                            use a very nice GUI (not perfect but very nice) and then you can bring up a
                            terminal window and type things like 'vi', 'ls', 'ps -x'. And the "personal web
                            server" of OS X is Apache ...

                            So now I have the best of both worlds (yes, I've used unix/linux machines since
                            -84 but my main machine have been a Mac since about -90).

                            So for those of you who uses linux/unix and are looking for a new machine, take
                            a look at a new G4 with OS X (10.1) ...

                            jem
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 5, 2001
                              On 12/05/01, Jan Erik Mostr?m wrote:
                              > So now I have the best of both worlds (yes, I've used unix/linux
                              > machines since -84 but my main machine have been a Mac since about
                              > -90).
                              >
                              > So for those of you who uses linux/unix and are looking for a new
                              > machine, take a look at a new G4 with OS X (10.1) ...

                              My wife's Powerbook G4 has OS X on it, and I, too, think it's neat. She
                              uses 9.x most of the time though. :-( Just to mention Python again, I
                              think the head Pythonistas would recommend running it under OS X instead
                              of running MacPython (You know, with two golden coils. :-) because it's
                              essentially a Unix environment. A most gratifying thing to see. And
                              with all the languages under your belt, Jan, you'd have Python down cold
                              in about 2 hours.

                              Jesse

                              --
                              Who's the greater fool: he who believes things he can't understand, or
                              he who thinks he can understand all that he believes?
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 6, 2001
                                At 22:21 +0100 5/12/01, Jan Erik Moström wrote:

                                >So for those of you who uses linux/unix and are looking for a new
                                >machine, take
                                >a look at a new G4 with OS X (10.1) ...

                                I am seriously considering an upgrade to a titanium Powerbook with OS
                                X. As you have made the plunge... what's the current situation with
                                Palm sunchronisation from OS X? Do you have to switch to OS 9 to
                                HotSync? Will the unix sync tools work with OS X?

                                Thanks

                                Steven
                                --
                              • John Kershaw
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 6, 2001
                                  >I am seriously considering an upgrade to a titanium Powerbook with OS
                                  >X. As you have made the plunge... what's the current situation with
                                  >Palm sunchronisation from OS X? Do you have to switch to OS 9 to
                                  >HotSync? Will the unix sync tools work with OS X?

                                  1. Insert Visor into USB cradle
                                  2. Press button on cradle
                                  3. Wait

                                  OS X can run all OS 9 apps in the 'Classic' environment, which is
                                  just OS 9 running as one big process. Apart from very low-level stuff
                                  (drivers for things like printers, graphics tablets and my Kodak USB
                                  card reader) it works just like OS 9. The only way you know which
                                  environment you're in is slight differences in the menu bar. You can
                                  even drag and drop between windows! It's very well done. The Doc <->
                                  Text converter still works, Palm Desktop is fine, HotSync is fine.
                                  Occasionally I've had trouble getting OS 9 to see the Visor, but
                                  after restarting Classic it works again. Even SoftWindows98 runs
                                  pretty well - emulation inside emulation!

                                  And it hasn't crashed since I installed it in May. Very nice.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 6, 2001
                                    At 13:16 +0000 6/12/01, John Kershaw wrote:

                                    >OS X can run all OS 9 apps in the 'Classic' environment, which is
                                    >just OS 9 running as one big process. Apart from very low-level stuff
                                    >(drivers for things like printers, graphics tablets and my Kodak USB
                                    >card reader) it works just like OS 9. The only way you know which
                                    >environment you're in is slight differences in the menu bar. You can
                                    >even drag and drop between windows! It's very well done. The Doc <->
                                    >Text converter still works, Palm Desktop is fine, HotSync is fine.
                                    >Occasionally I've had trouble getting OS 9 to see the Visor, but
                                    >after restarting Classic it works again. Even SoftWindows98 runs
                                    >pretty well - emulation inside emulation!
                                    >
                                    >And it hasn't crashed since I installed it in May. Very nice.

                                    So, you don't need to reboot to run OS9 stuff? I think I must have
                                    got confused somewhere along the line...

                                    Steven
                                    --
                                  • John Kershaw
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 6, 2001
                                      >So, you don't need to reboot to run OS9 stuff? I think I must have
                                      >got confused somewhere along the line...

                                      No - they can play happily together. If it wasn't for Retrospect not
                                      recognising my built-in Apple CD-RW and the USB card reader I'd never
                                      have to boot into 9 again. Probably half the apps I use day to day
                                      are still OS 9 only (Fireworks, Filemaker, SW98, Voodoo) but they
                                      work just fine (9.2.1 brought apps running in Classic pretty much up
                                      to the same speed as running natively in 9).

                                      I'm on irc (#peditors) now if you'd like any further info.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 6, 2001
                                        # I am seriously considering an upgrade to a titanium Powerbook with OS
                                        # X. As you have made the plunge... what's the current situation with

                                        NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        Wait a couple of weeks. Then, when the read-write CD comes, we will do it
                                        together. I am sure it's coming out very soon. I will get 1Gb RAM directly
                                        from Apple for warranty purposes. It's about $200 more expensive than from
                                        3rd parties. AMB=Paul
                                      • Jan Erik Moström
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 6, 2001
                                          On 2001-12-06 at 10:17, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

                                          > Wait a couple of weeks. Then, when the read-write CD comes, we will do it
                                          > together. I am sure it's coming out very soon. I will get 1Gb RAM directly
                                          > from Apple for warranty purposes. It's about $200 more expensive than from
                                          > 3rd parties. AMB=Paul

                                          The CD-RW are already available (at least for order ... I'm still waiting for my
                                          bosses and I'm going to order one for me as soon as possible ... right now I'm
                                          "stuck" with a G4 desktop)

                                          jem
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 6, 2001
                                            # The CD-RW are already available (at least for order ... I'm still waiting
                                            # for my bosses and I'm going to order one for me as soon as possible
                                            # ... right now I'm "stuck" with a G4 desktop)

                                            Yes and no: they say that they are backordered. What does it mean? AMB=Paul

                                            P.S. I have two 4 year old 300Mhz G3 towers.
                                          • Steven Hill
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 6, 2001
                                              At 10:17 -0500 6/12/01, Paul Nevai wrote:

                                              >Wait a couple of weeks. Then, when the read-write CD comes, we will do it
                                              >together. I am sure it's coming out very soon. I will get 1Gb RAM directly
                                              >from Apple for warranty purposes. It's about $200 more expensive than from
                                              >3rd parties.

                                              They are here already apparently at a cost of £48 extra. I'm tempted,
                                              but then the DVD-ROM is tempting too. I am not sure I would enjoy
                                              getting one as the same time as you as I would be annoyed about how
                                              much less money yours costs than mine! Computer prices in the UK (and
                                              the rest of Europe I think) are crazy.

                                              With best wishes

                                              Steven