Re: [peditors] pedit dumb question

  • Brenda
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
      Thanks.... I have been having a hard time following the manual

      At 03:54 AM 11/02/2001, you wrote:
      ># is there a LapTopHack pscript and a pedit pscript? Are they the same thing?
      >
      >It's in the manual! The answer is: yes^2. AMB=Paul
    • Brenda
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
        At 05:22 AM 11/02/2001, you wrote:
        >If by "automatically update a memo" you mean changing the text stored in
        >one or more memos, you may do it without pedit (but pScripting would still
        >be useful for starting the operation from within pedit).

        Yes, this is what I mean.

        >Likewise, you can use a programming environment running on the Palm itself
        >to write a program that updates a "file", i.e. a memo. And that program
        >does not depend on the editor with which you create and change the memo,
        >which may well be pedit.

        Yeah but doesn't that mean I have to know how to program the Palm? I don't
        know how. I want to learn though.

        My app is a thinkDB database.

        The info that needs to go into the database could cover several memos.

        The memos would be created with a utility that I didn't write.

        What I want to do, is to make a file that can be imported into thinkDB from
        these memos.

        The memos are already in .csv format... I just want to modify some stuff in
        them, and make them into a single text file.

        >I guess that such a pScripting engine would include a substantial part of
        >pedit.

        Well that would not matter because the user wouldn't be able to access the
        full pedit unless they bought it. So it would be like free advertising for
        Paul.

        thanks for the examples

        Brenda
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
          # Thanks.... I have been having a hard time following the manual

          You could search it using well selected words. That is how I do. Use the
          text version

          http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/x/pedit_man_txt.zip
          AMB=Paul
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
            # Well that would not matter because the user wouldn't be able to access the
            # full pedit unless they bought it. So it would be like free advertising for
            # Paul.

            What's wrong with that? Don't I work hard enough? AMB=Paul
          • Brenda
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
              Paul,

              I guess you are not understanding what I am suggesting.

              I am certainly NOT suggesting that you should make pedit for free.

              What I am suggesting is a run time version.

              But I may be suggesting something dumb because I obviously don't understand
              pedit if you look at my other posts.

              Brenda

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                # What I am suggesting is a run time version.

                No. What I mean is literally: what's wrong with free advertising for me? Run
                time version? How would I benefit from it? My next Lexus payment is due in a
                couple of days and the chalet in Palm Beach ain't free either. AMB=Paul
              • Birner, Russell H.
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                  Brenda, I think what may be missing in everyone's responses is a more
                  fundamental, basic statement of pedit.

                  From what I understand, it started out as a text processor and replacement
                  for Memopad. Paul was designing a program that he, personally, wanted to
                  use. From there it's mushroomed as users made suggestions and Paul
                  conquered deficiencies in the Palm OS and in other applications. One of the
                  most amazing accomplishments was pScripting. Most recently, Paul has added
                  RegEx, of which I don't even have a clue what it is.

                  To everyone else, I know this is oversimplified^6 and I'll let someone else
                  take my hint and give Brenda a better idea of what pedit and LapTopHack are.

                  Russell

                  p.s. to Brenda, you'll also have to get used to Paul's sense of humor, which
                  he doesn't delineate with smiley faces or whatnot.

                  # What I am suggesting is a run time version.

                  No. What I mean is literally: what's wrong with free advertising for me?
                  Run
                  time version? How would I benefit from it? My next Lexus payment is due in a
                  couple of days and the chalet in Palm Beach ain't free either. AMB=Paul

                  Check the beginners' pedit pTutor site at http://www.lmhauser.com/ptutor
                  Latest pedit & LapTopHack at
                  http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/x/pc_beta.zip
                  To unsubscribe from this group, write to
                  peditors-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                • Brenda
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                    At 02:56 PM 11/02/2001, you wrote:
                    ># What I am suggesting is a run time version.
                    >
                    >No. What I mean is literally: what's wrong with free advertising for me?

                    Actually that is how I interpreted what you said first, but then I got
                    worried maybe you meant it in a different way.

                    > Run
                    >time version? How would I benefit from it?

                    You would benefit because... when a developer used the "pedit runtime
                    version" to do something in his program for the user... you could put up a
                    window that said something like.... "you think this is cool, you can do it
                    yourself if you get the full pedit version. Get it here" etc.

                    I would of course be willing to pay for a special thing to make a runtime
                    script.

                    Brenda
                  • Brenda
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                      Russell,

                      At 03:09 PM 11/02/2001, you wrote:
                      >Brenda, I think what may be missing in everyone's responses is a more
                      >fundamental, basic statement of pedit.

                      Yes, that is true for some of the posts.

                      That is why I called it a dumb question.

                      > From what I understand, it started out as a text processor and replacement
                      >for Memopad. Paul was designing a program that he, personally, wanted to
                      >use. From there it's mushroomed as users made suggestions and Paul
                      >conquered deficiencies in the Palm OS and in other applications. One of the
                      >most amazing accomplishments was pScripting. Most recently, Paul has added
                      >RegEx, of which I don't even have a clue what it is.

                      I do want to get involved with all the stuff... I just know that it has a
                      very steep learning curve, and I don't have the time to it right now.

                      >p.s. to Brenda, you'll also have to get used to Paul's sense of humor, which
                      >he doesn't delineate with smiley faces or whatnot.

                      Well actually I took it right the first time, but then I decided to be more
                      conservative just in case.

                      Brenda
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                        # p.s. to Brenda, you'll also have to get used to Paul's sense of humor, which
                        # he doesn't delineate with smiley faces or whatnot.

                        What humor? I was dead serious. [smiley] AMB=Paul [4 Branda: AMB = All My
                        Best]
                      • Brenda
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                          At 03:37 PM 11/02/2001, you wrote:
                          >What humor? I was dead serious. [smiley] AMB=Paul [4 Branda: AMB = All My
                          >Best]

                          thanks Paul for the description. Actually I already knew that one, because
                          someone asked earlier and you explained it to them :-)

                          Brenda
                        • John Harms
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                            > From: Paul Nevai [mailto:nevai@...-state.edu]
                            > [4 Branda: AMB = ...

                            "Branda" --

                            You'll also have to get used to Paul's spelling!

                            -- JohnH [doublesmiley]

                          • Brenda
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                              John,

                              At 04:00 PM 11/02/2001, you wrote:
                              > > From: Paul Nevai [mailto:nevai@...-state.edu]
                              > > [4 Branda: AMB = ...
                              >
                              >"Branda" --
                              >
                              >You'll also have to get used to Paul's spelling!

                              Yeah he always calls me that :-)

                              Brenda
                            • Paolo Amoroso
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 3, 2001
                                On Fri, 02 Nov 2001 12:51:00 -0800, Brenda wrote:

                                > At 05:22 AM 11/02/2001, you wrote:
                                [...]
                                > >Likewise, you can use a programming environment running on the Palm itself
                                > >to write a program that updates a "file", i.e. a memo. And that program
                                [...]
                                > Yeah but doesn't that mean I have to know how to program the Palm? I don't

                                Yes.

                                > My app is a thinkDB database.

                                Peditors: is there any onboard Palm OS development environment with thinkDB
                                support?

                                > >I guess that such a pScripting engine would include a substantial part of
                                > >pedit.
                                >
                                > Well that would not matter because the user wouldn't be able to access the
                                > full pedit unless they bought it. So it would be like free advertising for
                                > Paul.

                                I was mostly referring to the technical problems, i.e. the amount of work
                                to identify and isolate the functionality to put into a runtime engine.

                                Paolo
                                http://web.mclink.it/amoroso/ency/README
                                [http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/%5d
                              • Brenda
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 3, 2001
                                  At 07:34 AM 11/03/2001, you wrote:
                                  >Peditors: is there any onboard Palm OS development environment with thinkDB
                                  >support?

                                  good question...

                                  >I was mostly referring to the technical problems, i.e. the amount of work
                                  >to identify and isolate the functionality to put into a runtime engine.

                                  Well that depends on how it is programmed. It could be easy to do, or a lot
                                  of work to do.

                                  Brenda
                                • Mark.Mandel@lhsl.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
                                    Brenda <brenda@...> sez:

                                    At 03:37 PM 11/02/2001, you wrote:
                                    >What humor? I was dead serious. [smiley] AMB=Paul [4 Branda: AMB = All My
                                    >Best]

                                    thanks Paul for the description. Actually I already knew that one, because
                                    someone asked earlier and you explained it to them :-)
                                    <<<<<

                                    Maybe it's Paul's Hungarian accent...

                                    -- Dr. Whom: Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist,
                                    and Philological Busybody
                                    a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel