Split screen?

  • John Kershaw
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hi Paul,

      I took some notes yesterday (in the dark watching a film) by writing
      Graffiti. Obviously there were a few mistakes here and there (though
      surprisingly few), but it would've been nice if I could've split the
      screen into two halves so I could read my notes at the top and write
      the summary below. It would be cool if the two halves could be
      either both the same memo or two different memos and there was a
      shortcut to switch from one to the other (like when DateBk4 shows
      your diary and the memo list).

      Obviously resizeable... ;o)

      John

      phone: 07944 755613 pgp: C7CA CCDE 8950 AB4F 2AED
      email: john@... 8772 47A2 0903 1A1C AFD0
      web: www.kershaw.org
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2001
        # All the regex implementations I know about do "greedy" match. In case of
        # "something.*" there's not very much sense to find shortest much :)

        So does pedit [at least tries]. AMB=Paul
      • John Harms
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2001
          > From: John Kershaw [mailto:yahoogroups@...]
          > ...it would've been nice if I could've split the screen into
          > two halves so I could read my notes at the top and write the
          > summary below. It would be cool if the two halves could be
          > either both the same memo or two different memos and there
          > was a shortcut to switch from one to the other.

          While we are waiting for Paul to consider this enhancement,
          I thought you might be interested in the workaround I use.

          I define a shortcut (PPK key, Fitaly left-slide button, and
          a Palm Shortcut) that toggles back and forth between the two
          most recently edited memos. It works very well; it almost
          feels like both files are open simultaneously.

          Here is my simple script, with "`" as my pedit ESC char.

          {e:: /* Previous memo, Ctrl-L */
          `/0x7d /* For ESC-right-brace */
          }

          -- JohnH

          |___________________________________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2001
            Hi John:

            # I took some notes yesterday (in the dark watching a film) by writing
            # Graffiti. Obviously there were a few mistakes here and there (though
            # surprisingly few), but it would've been nice if I could've split the
            # screen into two halves so I could read my notes at the top and write
            # the summary below. It would be cool if the two halves could be
            # either both the same memo or two different memos and there was a
            # shortcut to switch from one to the other (like when DateBk4 shows
            # your diary and the memo list).

            Both screen show the same memo? Doable BUT only one of them would be
            editable. The other would be READONLY. Of course, DateBk4 doesn't do it
            either. Am I mistaken? Doesn't it show 2 different files in the 2 screens?

            With two different memos? That is very much doable. BUT, is it worth the
            extra code? It would be a major project. Should I embark on it?

            If you look at "F", in a sense it does that but at a [huge] price. Is it
            worth it?

            Best regards, Paul
          • peter.grierson@sru.edu
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2001
              Paul Wrote:

              > With two different memos? That is very much doable. BUT, is it
              worth the extra code?

              =====
              If I am working with a pedit and a non-pedit file, I use McPhling to
              switch between the two.

              If I am in pedit04 or in pedit32, I use ">" to switch between files.

              The problem for me is when I am working in both pedit04 and pedit32,
              neither McPhling or ">" will get me quickly between files in fact
              they don't work at all.

              A split window would work, but I would just as soon be able to slide
              the ">" to bring up the recent list in the "other" pedit.

              Peter R.

              Not everything that can be counted is important, and
              Not everything that is important can be counted.
              - Albert Einstein
            • John Harms
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2001
                > From: peter.grierson@...
                > A split window would work, but I would
                > just as soon be able to slide the ">" to
                > bring up the recent list in the "other" pedit.

                Paul --

                Couldn't PeditPro's "ESC >" (Recent Memo list) and "ESC }" (Previous memo)
                work such that they were integrated between pedit04 and pedit32 files?

                In other words, if I edit memo "My Summary" in pedit04, then edit "Mtg
                Details" in pedit32, couldn't "ESC }" switch back and forth between them
                transparently, i.e. the editing mode switches automatically?

                Likewise, the Recent Memo list would show files edited in both modes;
                choosing a file would automatically switch to the appropriate mode.

                Just a thought.

                -- JohnH

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 5, 2001
                  #
                  # In other words, if I edit memo "My Summary" in pedit04, then edit "Mtg
                  # Details" in pedit32, couldn't "ESC }" switch back and forth between them
                  # transparently, i.e. the editing mode switches automatically?

                  Yes, of course, is doable BUT will require thinking and planning on my part.
                  Please do for me a "DO:" request. I will put a priority on this.

                  # Likewise, the Recent Memo list would show files edited in both modes;
                  # choosing a file would automatically switch to the appropriate mode.

                  This may be much harder since I would have to write different codes for
                  pedit, pedit32, and peditPro. It is doable BUT would require even more
                  thinking etc. Do a "DO:" request.

                  Best regards, Paul
                • peter.grierson@sru.edu
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 6, 2001
                    --- In peditors@y..., Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                    > # Couldn't PeditPro's "ESC >" (Recent Memo list) and "ESC }"
                    (Previous memo)
                    > # work such that they were integrated between pedit04 and pedit32
                    files?
                    > #
                    > # In other words, if I edit memo "My Summary" in pedit04, then
                    edit "Mtg
                    > # Details" in pedit32, couldn't "ESC }" switch back and forth
                    between them
                    > # transparently, i.e. the editing mode switches automatically?

                    -----
                    Unless I missed something, closing a memo and executing an "Esc }"
                    [List View > Navigate > Latest....] would not switch to a memo in
                    the "other pedit". "Esc }" would merely open the memo that had just
                    been closed in the current pedit.

                    -----
                    Integrating the ">" functions of 04 and 32 would facilitate moving
                    between the two databases, but at a price. I suspect some peditors
                    have developed work habits based on the current lack of integration.
                    Two projects with two separate recent lists can be active. One in 04
                    the other 32.

                    Hence my suggested option to slide ">" to see the recent list in
                    the "other pedit". The option of integrated list, instead or in
                    addition to the other recent list, would have its benefits, but this
                    nonprogrammer suspects integration would be harder to implement.
                    Maybe not?

                    Peter R.

                    Not everything that can be counted is important, and
                    Not everything that is important can be counted.
                    - Albert Einstein
                  • The White Crow
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 6, 2001

                      >Integrating the ">" functions of 04 and 32 would facilitate moving
                      >between the two databases, but at a price. I suspect some peditors
                      >have developed work habits based on the current lack of integration.
                      >Two projects with two separate recent lists can be active. One in 04
                      >the other 32.

                      I've been sick (one of those change-in-weather colds), so I've been quiet
                      on the whole REGEX thing (I've used it enough to know that it is cool, and
                      well worth having in pedit.)

                      But I thought I'd agree with what is said here -- I like not having the two
                      integrated. There is the occasional time where I would like to be able to
                      access the other pedit history, but I've just started using the history as
                      a part of working and I like it as is. (Well, I'd like a little more
                      keyboard accessibility to the list, but that's a seperate point).

                      Peace and cheerfulness,
                      Jennifer
                      --
                      The White Crow