Re: [peditors] Natural style of numbering for custButtons?

  • Henkjan Korpel
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2001
      ># While I am on the subject of custButtons: I'd like to see a one key access
      ># to this list - it might even be "undocumented".
      >
      >Gimme an idea.
      >
      >AMB=Paul

      My solution of using FStamp suits me fine (but see the remark at the
      bottom), but there still seems to be some possibilities to use slides: from
      the silkscreen app button down to the menu button, from calc to find, you
      could even do it in a horizontal fashion - of course only if possible:
      apps-, menu button to the right, calc-, find button to the left.

      Are double taps on certain buttons also acceptable? They might not be
      interpreted in a correct fashion at all times.

      >I could use TOP corners BUT there were objections against that before.

      As in top of the screen - not top of the Graffitti area - I think. Well,
      that's fine by me, I don't know what the objection was.

      > > I forgot that. Will do although may not. You see:
      > > the labels are right on the
      > > screen so any indexing is fine. Am I wrong?
      >
      >I'm (almost) always in favor of consistency

      I agree - I love consistency, besides, the buttonnumbers are not on the
      screen when you program them in scriptpad. Of course the result of a wrong
      placement is visible at once.

      P.S. There is one drawback in using FitalyStamp to start up the custButton
      screen: When you start a customslide from a textfield (like in Date Book,
      Memo Pad etc) you end up with a new entry.

      P.S. I am not enthusiastic about hardwarebuttons because you'd have to
      switch from pentapping to buttonpushing. Besides - but that is strictly
      personal - my fingers are about twice the size of a Vx button, which makes
      me wanna push them as little as possible.

      Regards
      Henk
    • Niklas Gidion
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2001
        * Henkjan Korpel <hjkorpel@...> [010901 12:08]:
        [ ... finding a way for a one-tap/stroke to customButtons ... ]
        > My solution of using FStamp suits me fine (but see the remark at the
        > bottom), but there still seems to be some possibilities to use slides: from
        > the silkscreen app button down to the menu button, from calc to find, you
        > could even do it in a horizontal fashion - of course only if possible:
        > apps-, menu button to the right, calc-, find button to the left.

        But pleasepleaseplease do NOT hardcode such strokes into LTH!
        There are other apps already using them (McPhling) or even giving
        you the possibility to set them up with your configuration of
        apps to start (FastApp - good one IMHO!).
        IF such strokes should be implemented into LTH, please give
        the users the possibility to turn them off (perhaps each stroke
        for itself - like FastApp does).
        I mean Paul could implement the whole functionality of FastApp
        (and even McPhling?) into LTH :-) that would be nice too
        and he is almost certainly able to do that.

        Greets,
        Niklas
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2001
          # But pleasepleaseplease do NOT hardcode such strokes into LTH!

          Why do you think I would do it? I will hardcode only stuff which is
          compatible with others. All undocumented features are such. AMB=Paul
        • John Harms
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2001
            --- Henkjan Korpel <hjkorpel@...> wrote:
            > There is one drawback in using FitalyStamp to
            > start up the custButton
            > screen: When you start a customslide from a
            > textfield (like in Date Book,
            > Memo Pad etc) you end up with a new entry.

            Is this true even with High-ASCII starting scripts? I
            don't have FitalyStamp, so I can't say for sure how it
            behaves -- but I have many scripts that get invoked by
            the LTH ESC char followed by a single High-ASCII char.
            This does *not* result in new entries getting started
            because LTH "eats" both chars (ESC, High-ASCII char)
            and the application (Date Book, etc.) never sees them.

            -- John

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Mark_Mandel@dragonsys.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 6, 2001
              John Harms <photojhh@...> writes:

              Is this true even with High-ASCII starting scripts?
              <<<<<

              A point of naming: There's no such thing as "High-ASCII". ASCII runs from
              32 to 126 = SPACE to '~', or from 0 to 127 = NUL to DEL, if you include the
              control characters.

              ASCII is transportable and readable across the whole Internet and WWW*;
              *eight-bit* characters (128 to 255) are not. Calling these characters
              "ASCII" or "high-ASCII" perpetuates the confusion. If it's not on a keycap
              of a standard US keyboard (allowing for case), it's not ASCII.

              * There are a few national codings, mostly the Scandinavian languages
              AFAIK, that use the ASCII '|' and a couple of other special characters for
              accented letters. But they know who they are.

              Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
              Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
              320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 6, 2001
                # ASCII is transportable and readable across the whole Internet and WWW*;
                # *eight-bit* characters (128 to 255) are not. Calling these characters
                # "ASCII" or "high-ASCII" perpetuates the confusion. If it's not on a keycap
                # of a standard US keyboard (allowing for case), it's not ASCII.

                You are right but they still call them "high-ASCII". BTW, even ASCII is very
                American. It is not at all a general standard [which doesn't exist].
                AMB=Paul
              • Lonnie Foster
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 6, 2001
                  On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Paul Nevai wrote:

                  > You are right but they still call them "high-ASCII". BTW, even ASCII is very
                  > American. It is not at all a general standard [which doesn't exist].
                  > AMB=Paul

                  If you expand the acronym, it stands to reason that ASCII is very
                  American. ASCII stands for "American Standard Code for Information
                  Interchange". Like many things American, it doesn't give much thought
                  to other languages or cultures. Ignoring other languages and cultures
                  is what's made this country great, if you listen to some of the more
                  pig-headed isolationists in our government.

                  I'll step off my soap box now. :)

                  /|\ Lonnie Foster <lonnief@...> http://pobox.com/~tribble
                  \|/ When people cease to complain, they cease to think.
                  /|\ -- Arabic Proverb