LapTopHack and the Menu Bar

  • jkrzyszt@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 26, 2001
      Paul,

      How about having LapTopHack add icons for some of the functionality
      to the menu bar that shows up when you swipe up?

      I figure that peditHack, peditPad, magiPad, scriptPad would make good
      candidates.

      What do the rest think?

      Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 26, 2001
        #
        # I figure that peditHack, peditPad, magiPad, scriptPad would make good
        # candidates.

        Great idea, but that would leave all < OS 3.5 people out. I need to think
        about such additions. AMB=Paul
      • Norbert Preining
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 26, 2001
          On Don, 26 Jul 2001, Paul Nevai wrote:
          > # How about having LapTopHack add icons for some of the functionality
          > # to the menu bar that shows up when you swipe up?
          > #
          > # I figure that peditHack, peditPad, magiPad, scriptPad would make good
          > # candidates.
          >
          > Great idea, but that would leave all < OS 3.5 people out. I need to think
          > about such additions. AMB=Paul

          I would appreciate this feature.

          Best wishes from a recently silent Norbert who has to organize the
          Logic Colloquium 2001 which happens next week in Vienna (250-300 pax)
          and who is very happy to have his pedit working for all the organizing
          comittee meetings ;-)

          --
          ciao
          norb

          | Norbert Preining http://www.logic.at/people/preining |
          | University of Technology Vienna, Austria preining@... |
          | DSA: 0x09C5B094 (RSA: 0xCF1FA165) mail subject: get [DSA|RSA]-key |
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 28, 2001
            # How about having LapTopHack add icons for some of the functionality
            # to the menu bar that shows up when you swipe up?
            #
            # I figure that peditHack, peditPad, magiPad, scriptPad would make good
            # candidates.

            Dear Jeffrey:

            I experimented with it. It does NOT work the natural way and would require
            serious thinking. Do you know of any hack which does such a thing [so I could
            contact the author to discuss it]? I am sure I could do it but I may save
            some time by stealing from others. AMB=Paul

            P.S. One inherent obstacle is that I would have to keep the LTH database open
            all the time or much of the time and I am not sure I want that. The fewer
            databases are open the better. LTH opens its own database only when it is
            necessary.
          • Jeffrey A. Krzysztow
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 30, 2001
              I do not know of a hack that does this, but I know of something similar
              to a hack that does this. It is called Poplets
              (http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=13728).

              Jeffrey

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 30, 2001
                Jeffrey A. Krzysztow wrote to Paul Nevai:
                # I do not know of a hack that does this, but I know of something similar
                # to a hack that does this. It is called Poplets
                # (http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=13728).

                I see. If you look at the review: CRASH. I'd rather wait to see a hack which
                does not crash. Can you imagine my life if LTH had hack conflicts? Right now
                LTH conflicts with practically nothing and if it does then it is not LTH's
                fault. Sorry. Let's wait and see. Best regards, Paul
              • Jeffrey A. Krzysztow
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 30, 2001
                  Paul Nevai wrote:

                  > Jeffrey A. Krzysztow wrote to Paul Nevai:
                  > # I do not know of a hack that does this, but I know of something similar
                  > # to a hack that does this. It is called Poplets
                  > # (http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=13728).
                  >
                  > I see. If you look at the review: CRASH. I'd rather wait to see a hack which
                  > does not crash. Can you imagine my life if LTH had hack conflicts? Right now
                  > LTH conflicts with practically nothing and if it does then it is not LTH's
                  > fault. Sorry. Let's wait and see. Best regards, Paul

                  By all means, DO NOT implement anything that will degrade the stability
                  of LTH or pedit. I was merely making a suggestion and I will certainly
                  not be upset in anyway if it does not make it into the product. I am not
                  a Palm developer and have not the slightest idea what it would take to
                  implement this request. I was one of those "gee it would be nice," but
                  not at all necessary (like to Palm implementing the command bar in the
                  first place, ie nice, but not necessary). Thanks for at least listening
                  and making an affect to see if it is reasonable and do-able!

                  Thanks for continuing to make fine products for the Palm! So when are
                  you going to start developing for the Windows world <grin>?

                  Jeffrey

                • Bodo Bellut
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                    Hi,

                    > Jeffrey A. Krzysztow wrote to Paul Nevai:
                    > # I do not know of a hack that does this, but I know of something similar
                    > # to a hack that does this. It is called Poplets
                    > # (http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=13728).
                    >
                    > I see. If you look at the review: CRASH. I'd rather wait to see a hack which
                    > does not crash. Can you imagine my life if LTH had hack conflicts? Right now
                    > LTH conflicts with practically nothing and if it does then it is not LTH's
                    > fault. Sorry. Let's wait and see. Best regards, Paul

                    Check out GadgetHack:

                    http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=2397

                    cu, Bodo
                    --
                    Bodo Bellut bodo@... | USE PGP! +-----------+
                    Klosterstr. 7 Fax/Mobile: just ask | (key via server |\ O---m /|
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                      My vote for the next hack to incorporate into LTH:
                      Keyboard Localizer:

                      http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=10119

                      I�ve been using this utility for awhile; it�s a great
                      way to remap the PPK or GoType keyboard to match what
                      you are used to on your laptop computer. It lacks only
                      one thing: the ability to assign LTH or pedit pScripts
                      to those keys. If LTH incorporated the ability to map
                      keyboard keys to other keys or pScript actions, the
                      customization possibilities would be endless.

                      -- John

                      | John Harms
                      | Mentor Graphics Corporation
                      | 8005 SW Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070-7777
                      | Phone: 503.685.1943; FAX: 503.213.5886
                      | �Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a
                      banana.�
                      |___________________________________________________________

                      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                    • Daniel Bergman
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                        > My vote for the next hack to incorporate into LTH:

                        A key or a buttonSlide to bring up the contrast slider. A small thing to ask for, but it would be very nice to have.

                        /Daniel
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                          # http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=2397

                          Last update 3/1/99 and not a single review. To some extent LTH also has an
                          info bar in several forms. I wouldn't want to overdo it though. AMB=Paul
                        • John Harms
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                            --- Daniel Bergman <daniel.bergman@...> wrote:
                            > > My vote for the next hack to incorporate into LTH:
                            > A key or a buttonSlide to bring up the contrast
                            > slider. A small thing to ask for, but it would be
                            > very nice to have.

                            Or, a pFunction to bring up the contrast slider, which
                            could then be assigned to any key via pScripting and
                            "LTH keyboard remapping" -- or likewise assigned to a
                            button via Jonathan Markevich's requested
                            user-definable button.

                            -- John :-)

                            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                              # A key or a buttonSlide to bring up the contrast slider. A small thing to
                              ask for, but it would be very nice to have.

                              ??? Why not pScript it? Have you tried "/xx"? Or should I say, have YOU tried
                              "/xx"? Doesn't it work? AMB=Paul

                              P.S. "/xX" may be the one you need.
                            • Jonathan Markevich
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                                On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 07:28:27AM -0700, John Harms wrote:
                                > --- Daniel Bergman <daniel.bergman@...> wrote:
                                > > > My vote for the next hack to incorporate into LTH:
                                > > A key or a buttonSlide to bring up the contrast
                                >
                                > Or, a pFunction to bring up the contrast slider, which
                                > could then be assigned to any key via pScripting and
                                > "LTH keyboard remapping" -- or likewise assigned to a
                                > button via Jonathan Markevich's requested
                                > user-definable button.

                                Yay! I have my own button! Shame I have such a long name. It would
                                probably morph into pJonathanMarkevichButton or something...

                                --
                                Jonathan Markevich <jmarkevich@...>
                                http://www.geocities.com/jmarkevich

                                Sigh. I like to think it's just the Linux people who want to be on
                                the "leading edge" so bad they walk right off the precipice.
                                (Craig E. Groeschel)
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                                  # Yay! I have my own button! Shame I have such a long name. It would
                                  # probably morph into pJonathanMarkevichButton or something...

                                  We could abbreviate it like pJonathanMarkevichButt. AMB=Paul
                                • Jonathan Markevich
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                                    On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 05:41:13PM -0400, Paul Nevai wrote:
                                    > # Yay! I have my own button! Shame I have such a long name. It would
                                    > # probably morph into pJonathanMarkevichButton or something...
                                    >
                                    > We could abbreviate it like pJonathanMarkevichButt. AMB=Paul

                                    Hmm, At least I'd make it into the manual (again), though! :/

                                    --
                                    Jonathan Markevich <jmarkevich@...>
                                    http://www.geocities.com/jmarkevich

                                    Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                      # A key or a buttonSlide to bring up the contrast slider. A small thing to
                                      ask for, but it would be very nice to have.

                                      Of course, this would lead us into servicing specific hardware which would
                                      eventually lead to decisons: which hardware is more important. I'd rather
                                      stay out of this [except that LTH has some TRGPro support]. Anyway,
                                      pScriptIt. AMB=Paul
                                    • Paolo Amoroso
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                        On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:53:02 +0200, Daniel Bergman
                                        <daniel.bergman@...> wrote:

                                        > A key or a buttonSlide to bring up the contrast slider. A small thing
                                        > to ask for, but it would be very nice to have.

                                        Speaking of contrast: can anybody recommend a software tool for setting the
                                        screen contrast on a TRGpro (OS 3.5.1) and a Palm III (OS 3.3.0)? Since my
                                        fingers are a bit too large for comfortably operating the device's contrast
                                        wheel, I can't afford to look for a 3-year old kid each time I want to set
                                        the contrast...

                                        Some time ago I checked PalmGear. There were very few such utilities, and I
                                        seemed to understand that they were device-dependent to a certain extent.

                                        Paolo
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                          # Speaking of contrast: can anybody recommend a software tool for setting the
                                          # screen contrast on a TRGpro (OS 3.5.1) and a Palm III (OS 3.3.0)? Since my
                                          # fingers are a bit too large for comfortably operating the device's contrast
                                          # wheel, I can't afford to look for a 3-year old kid each time I want to set
                                          # the contrast...

                                          My dear friend Paolo:

                                          You are funny. In contrast to you, I bet that this can't be done unless you
                                          hook up a small engine to the contrast wheel. I always say: before you wish
                                          anything, think it over. You may wish that your wish had not come true.
                                          Imagine: contrast wheel at lowest and you can set the contrast via software
                                          to the highest. Now what? How will you ever set it back to normal [assuming
                                          that the software has forward direction only]. AMB=Paul
                                        • Daniel Bergman
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                            ># A key or a buttonSlide to bring up the contrast slider. A small thing to
                                            > ask for, but it would be very nice to have.
                                            >
                                            >Of course, this would lead us into servicing specific hardware which
                                            >would
                                            >eventually lead to decisons: which hardware is more important. I'd
                                            >rather
                                            >stay out of this [except that LTH has some TRGPro support]. Anyway,
                                            >pScriptIt. AMB=Paul

                                            Ok, I'll make a script to do it. I saw that Launcher III has a contrast-slider-button and thought it could be done in LTH too.

                                            /Daniel
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 2, 2001
                                              # Ok, I'll make a script to do it. I saw that Launcher III has a
                                              contrast-slider-button and thought it could be done in LTH too.

                                              I still don't see why. Did you test Launcher III with all Palms? What about
                                              the Palm 3? Sony Clie? etc. What does Launcher III do then? AMB=Paul
                                            • Paolo Amoroso
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:32:28 -0400 (EDT), Paul Nevai
                                                <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

                                                > Imagine: contrast wheel at lowest and you can set the contrast via software
                                                > to the highest. Now what? How will you ever set it back to normal [assuming
                                                > that the software has forward direction only]. AMB=Paul

                                                If the software associates forward and backward directions with some
                                                hardware buttons on the device, such as the arrow keys, this should not be
                                                an issue. The software may also have a "reset" action, associated to
                                                another hardware key, for setting the contrast back to the value it had
                                                before starting to fiddle with it, or to a preset value such as highest
                                                contrast.

                                                Well, this is no longer a software-only solution, but the device's keys are
                                                much easier to operate than the contrast wheel, especially for small
                                                adjustments.

                                                Paolo
                                              • Lee Hauser
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 2, 2001

                                                  >Well, this is no longer a software-only solution, but the device's keys are
                                                  >much easier to operate than the contrast wheel, especially for small
                                                  >adjustments.

                                                  Such a thing would be very handy with some cases. I have an old Slipper
                                                  case here that not only has no hole for the contrast wheel, but is so tight
                                                  that it turns the contrast wheel to "dark" whenever the Palm is put in. I
                                                  think they've changed their design, as my Slipper VII has a contrast wheel
                                                  hole now.

                                                  Lee
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                    # >Well, this is no longer a software-only solution, but the device's keys are
                                                    # >much easier to operate than the contrast wheel, especially for small
                                                    # >adjustments.
                                                    #
                                                    # Such a thing would be very handy with some cases. I have an old Slipper
                                                    # case here that not only has no hole for the contrast wheel, but is so tight
                                                    # that it turns the contrast wheel to "dark" whenever the Palm is put in. I
                                                    # think they've changed their design, as my Slipper VII has a contrast wheel
                                                    # hole now.

                                                    C'mon guys. Please understand that this not done via software but via
                                                    hardware on the Palm 3 and such. AMB=Paul
                                                  • Lee Hauser
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                      It's ok, Paul, really... we know there are limits to the miracles you can
                                                      work on the Palm! We're just wishfully thinking here!

                                                      Lee