Re: pedit

  • Joe Chott
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 31, 2000
      --- In peditors@egroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
      > # ANY way to bind something to X other than x, or shift X as the
      ESC
      > # character (alt-x, ctrl-x, cmd-x, ANYTHING, through WHATEVER means)
      >
      > I don't understand this.

      I want to be able to type ctrl-x and have that be my escape
      character. So for instance, you use the ` as the escape character.
      So for you, a sequence of "` h" brings up help. I want to be able to
      type "ctrl-x h" and bring up help. In other words, ctrl-x becomes my
      ESC character, instead of `. This would allow pedit to be a lot more
      like emacs than it is for me right now. On my keyboard, the ` key is
      in a truly bad place for me to type it very often. I could use the 1
      key as you describe in the manual, but I type the number 1 very
      often. In fact, most all of the keys on the keyboard are keys I type
      really often. Interestingly, if I try defining my ESC character as
      alt-x, it DOES put a character there (an o with an accent above it),
      but that char doesn't work as an escape char for me. When I type the
      alt-x, it just types the o with the accent mark, it doesn't treat it
      as an ESC char.

      I had talked to you before about this, but I don't know if I just
      didn't communicate well enough or what. Basically, my feeling
      (granted, without enough knowledge to do much about it yet), is that
      there SHOULD be a way to intercept the keyboard characters like "ctrl-
      x" or "cmd-x" or whatever, and to do things with them. In other
      words, if you cannot (for whatever reason) modify pedit to respond to
      a cmd-x key sequence (or ctrl-x, or alt-x) as the ESC char, then I
      should be able to write a hack that does the following:

      1. wait for the user to type ctrl-x (or whichever keyboard sequence I
      choose)

      2. insert into any currently usable text entry area, the character
      the user of the hack has requested.

      This would allow me to set pedit to use the ` key as ESC, and then
      tell the hack to produce a ` character any time it sees the ctrl-x
      key hit on the keyboard. Doing that would allow you to keep the
      pedit code the same way it is, and it would allow ME to use ctrl-x
      (or whatever) as my escape character while I use pedit. :)

      So anyway, THAT is why I was asking for some of your keyboard
      intercept code just so I can see what you are doing to monitor the
      keyboard actions in laptophack.

      Sincerely,

      Joe Chott
      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 8, 2001
        # This may seem like a silly question, but once a memo is marked as
        # Read-Only, what exactly would that mean? In other words, how would you
        # unmark it as RO or delete it, etc?

        Can be done. I leave it to you to think about it. I can come up with at least
        10^6 solutions. E.g., open it up with WordSmith, change it, HotSync it to the
        DeskTop, use MS Word to read it, save it as text, use a DOC converter,
        HotSync, import it with pedit, and you are done. AMB=Paul