7316Re: [peditors] Re: Design ideas for desktop GUI interface

  • jesk50@aol.com
    Mar 3, 2001
      In a message dated 3/2/01 1:17:00 PM Central Standard Time, jmjaco@...
      writes:

      > However, if Jerry wanted to write pDesk in Java,
      > I'd be excited to see how it works on Linux!

      I've been seriously considering XBasic which has a Linux heritage and is
      designed from the ground up to be cross platform. The XBasic people don't
      advise a direct conversion of QuickBasic programs, expecially by a newbie to
      their compiler, but they do provide some help on how to do it if you're
      determined. I take to mean it's smarter to convert the programmers skill-set
      than the code itself.

      Struggling with VB and particularly Help engine is reminding me of why I
      don't like Microsoft products. Excuse my brief OffTopic here, but the VB
      Help files for VisualBasic are interspersed with several other languages like
      VisualJava, FoxPro, and VisualC/C++. When I restrict my help searches to
      just VisualBasic documentation, I can see links to what I need but they are
      grayed out until I remove the restriction and search for the name of the
      formerly grayed out link. The answers are there but SHEESH what a pain.

      Jerry
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic