31727Re: [peditors] Fwd: The $20 Android tablet

    Apr 26, 2014
      On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Voytek <voytek@...> wrote:

      > Also, MyAppSharer
      >
      > fwiw, here's a complete list of apps from my phone, shoot any questions if you want
      >
      > My App link (sent via MyAppSharer)

      *Thank you*, Voytek!

      Most of these aren't candidates for installation here, but I've noted
      a few for reference.

      Since I still have a working TX, for example, I'm not looking to
      replace it as a PIM device. And since it's a tablet, not a phone,
      apps intended to assist phone functions are irrelevant.

      I'm looking at better ways to control the tablet and modify the
      interface, and to use the internet connectivity provided by Wifi.

      Aside from the Nova launcher, I've installed most of Google's
      offerings, including the Gmail, Google+, and Google Drive apps, since
      I make extensive use of Google's services. Gmail is my primary email
      account, and I'm making increasing use of Google Docs and Google
      Drive.

      I also grabbed Google's Quick Office app. On the TX, I still user an
      older version of Dataviz's Docs to Go, and looked at Quick Office on
      the Palm back when. I don't anticipate doing a lot of work on MS
      Office documents on the tablet, especially since it doesn't
      (currently) support an external keyboard, but the ability to do so may
      be handy.

      The primary current use case for the tablet, aside from being a test
      bed to learn about Android, is eBook viewer. (That's the primary use
      case for the PDA these days, too.) It comes with the Blio app, but I
      have *many* eBooks I want to store locally on the tablet's expansion
      card and read from there. To that end, I installed Android versions of
      CoolReader and FBReader. I have both under Windows and Linux, and
      both handle ePub and Mobipocket files. Support for both is a major
      plus, as it reduces the format conversions I need to do in Calibre to
      be able to read things. (I convert ePub to Mobi to allow me to read
      various things on the TX with the last version of Mobipocet viewer for
      Palm OS, since no one wrote an ePub viewer for Palm OS before Palm
      went belly up.)

      > AnTuTu Benchmark: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antutu.ABenchMark

      AnTuTu's benchmarks got some discussion on the EETimes site. I would
      take them with a huge sack of salt, since they don't make source code
      available or sufficiently document their methodology.

      > AndFTP: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lysesoft.andftp

      An FTP client is a possible future addition, but again, it's a "Nice
      to have just in case" What makes this one attractive?

      > BusyBox Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox.donate

      Android already includes Busybox. Busybox Pro looks interesting for
      the ability to add/remove Busybox components, but without an external
      keyboard, using the console is somewhat problematic. (And the default
      keyboard on the A727 appears to lack a | character, so I can't do
      things like "grep <whatever> | less")

      > Camera: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.GoogleCamera

      Alas, while the tablet has a camera, it's front facing. Since I don't
      plan to participate in things like Google Hangouts, it's of limited
      use.

      > Chrome: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome

      Got it, and will compare with Firefox for Android. I use Firefox as
      my default browser, and prefer it elsewhere.

      > Cron4Phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aes.cron4phonefree

      A cron implementation is of interest. I'm a *nix admin, and use cron elsewhere.

      > ES File Explorer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop
      > File Expert: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xcxin.filexpert

      A File Manager came with the A727. What do you find superior here?

      > JuiceSSH: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonelli.juicessh

      An SSH client is a future possibility. Under Windows, I use PuTTY. Why Juice?

      > MetrO: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kinevia.metro

      This one doesn't seem to exist on Google Play any longer. I had to
      grab it from the MetrO home page. I have it on the PDA, and it's nice
      to see it on Android.

      > Tasker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

      Tasker is a likely add here.

      > ezPDF Reader: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=udk.android.reader

      The A727 came with the Android port of Adobe Reader. the the extent
      that I need to read PDFs, it should be fine.