31723Re: [peditors] Fwd: The $20 Android tablet

    Apr 25, 2014
      On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Markley Jr, John <jmmjr@...> wrote:
      > I have no clue regarding rooting this as my only Android devices are and have been pure Google Nexus devices which are extremely easy to boot loader unlock and root. My software suggestion ($10, 50% of what you paid for the tablet) is Pimlical for Android, the successor to DateBk by CESDewar. It is by far the most feature rich and excellent calendar/pim application for Android and I think is probably the only true PIM as CESD has now developed it to approaching the level of DateBk, with its own native integrated calendar, tasks, memos, and contacts, and it's getting better all the time. I'm one of his beta testers so I also have some idea what's coming next and it really is excellent.

      I looked at, but never actually used DateBk on the Palm. My needs
      were fairly simple, and I didn't require all of what DateBk could do.
      I used the freeware Japanese K's Datebook instead of the built-in
      version, along with K's Todo.

      Calendar stuff these days is mostly handled through Google Calendar.

      (Which brings up a quirk: I successfully added my Google ID to the
      tablet, and I can do things like get to the Play store and download
      apps. It grabbed my Google Contacts, too. But attempting to log in
      to Gmail via the built-in browser fails, claiming my userid or
      password are incorrect. Firefox for Android is likely the next
      addition, and we'll see if the same issue manifests there.)

      It is nice to know Pimlico is still active on a different platform.

      > ~ John
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic