31691Re: [peditors] Re: hi...

    Apr 15, 2013
      On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
      >> compatible devices are no longer manufactured,
      >
      > I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

      They do. They make ruggedized handheld units running Palm OS Garnet
      or Windows CE 5.0. See http://www.aceeca.com/ (The PDA32 unit looks
      interesting. They claim to have Linux in development for it.)

      They are also still relevant to the dwindling installed base of Palm users.

      I spent a few days redoing the setup on a friend's old Tungsten E2,
      which got unearthed as part of a massive apartment cleaning. A new
      charging cable from a Chinese manufacturer got it to power up, and the
      use of NVFS meant the old data was still there.

      Next stop was hotsyncing with her Win7 laptop. Palm desktop 6.2
      installed as expected, but Hotsync didn't happen because it's a 64 bit
      machine and Palm's USB drivers are 32 bit. As it happens, Aceeca has
      a beta 64 bit USB driver package that can be substituted, and once in
      place, Hotsync worked. See
      http://www.aceeca.com/index.php?option=com_maqmahelpdesk&Itemid=5&id_workgroup=1&task=downloads_product&id=6

      (Installing it required working through Windows Device Manager, so
      it's not a project for a non-technical user.)
      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic