31663Re: [peditors] hi...

    Apr 9, 2013
      On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

      > It's good to hear from all of you...

      And good to hear from you.

      > The thing about unix is that I am pretty sure that it will survive me as
      > opposed to all those here today and gone tomorrow OSs.

      Since a lot of what's out there is based on Linux, I concur. Android
      has a Linux kernel. Google's Chromium has a Linux kernel under the
      So does Palm/HP's WebOS. RIM's new Blackberry OS is based on Qnx, not
      Linux, but Qnx's design was modeled after Unix.

      > BTW, when I say "Unix" I mean OS X. E.g., I write this email with mutt and
      > emacs in the terminal application of my Mac.

      Yep. OS/X is a modified BSD kernel with the standard Gnu utilities.
      Apple did a good job of integrating a GUI on top of it, so most Apple
      users never need to go near a command line.

      The bugger factor down the road will be convergence. With Windows 8,
      MS has a version of Windows available for ARM based devices, with the
      goal of the same OS running on anything you might have: desktop,
      laptop, netbook, tablet, smartphone...

      Android is moving in that direction, being embedded in smartphones and
      tablets, with an alpha X86 desktop port available.

      I expect increasing convergence by Apple, too, and at some point I
      expect OS/X to be subsumed into iOS. What this will mean for folks
      like you is unclear.

      > Best regards, Paul
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic