28422Re: [peditors] Another for my wish list

    Nov 5, 2006
      On 11/3/06, Neil Smithline <peditors@...> wrote:

      > I know that pScripts, due to the oddities of the Palm OS, cannot interact
      > with the user. For example, they can't pop up a form in the middle or ask
      > the user to press 'y' or 'n'. But is it the case that they can't interact be
      > made to interact with users before they start running? For example:

      I see this thread, and my first thought is "If what you ahve is
      pEdit/pToolset, everthing is a pScript..."

      I'm still thinking about this, but I feel that adding GUI elements to
      pscripting is probably the wrong way to go. My reference here is John
      Ousterhout's Tool Command Language (Tcl, pronounced "tickle") which
      originated under *nix and has been ported to Windows and the Mac. Tcl
      was intended to be a "glue" language, allowing you to call other
      functions. GUI elements were added seperately in an extension called
      Tk. Tk does not require Tcl, and in fact is frequently used with
      other script languages like Python in preference to Tcl.

      One solution that might be worth investigating is Rexx. Rexx is a
      script language that originated on IBM mainframs, and hase been ported
      to a variety of other devices. IBM offers a free, open source
      implementation called Open Object Rexx for PCs. Jaxo has a freeware
      port to PalmOS available here: http://www.jaxo.com/rexx/

      Another possibility might be Plua, a Palm port of the Lua scripting
      language. There is a free 1.1 version available here:
      http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/plua.shtml, and a 2.0 version
      available through the Plua Yahoo group.

      I believe GUI elements are available in Rexx and Plua. I don't know
      offhand whether they can be mi8xed with pscript, but it sounds like it
      might be possible.