28054Re: new Palm - kind of... * Mine Is On Its Way.....

  • marksrebnik
    Aug 1, 2006
      Well, John,

      I took the plunge and ordered one of the UX90's (Made to order Japanese model...but
      getting it with English keyboard...) from Conics.net in Japan.... should be here Friday
      hopefully....

      ;-)

      As for some of the other comments posted....to each his own....but....

      This is NOT a UMPC, but a micro-PC along the lines of an OQO, but better from all the
      reviews I've read....don't have anything against UMPC's, just that they are different animal
      if you check their specs...

      As noted, this runs MS WinXP so no problem running Windows apps...

      Also, unlike the US market model, the Japanese model has a standard CF Card slot along
      with the MemoryStick slot so you can use whichever you want (or both...).

      Have had several other Sony Vaio products over the years from Picturebooks to U101 and
      they all worked great and had no problems...

      They aren't cheap though...but no one makes you get one... I just sold several other
      devices to raise funds for this new little device...

      Still will keep my LifeDrive at least for awhile...but starting to think more and more that
      there's less and less reason to have one (or a PocketPC, etc..) when you can have access to
      standard PC apps wherever you go and get away from all this syncing and file moving
      business from PC to PDA and vice-versa....

      You guys should read some real reviews of the UX series before making up your minds
      about it...here's a few....

      http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/07/25/sony1/index.html

      http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3073&review=Sony+VAIO+UX180
      +Mini+PC

      Just my 2ยข......

      ;-)

      Mark
      Silicone Valley Digerati
      Palm LD
      Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100
      Sony Vaio VGN-UX90 (soon...)
      Averatec AV1050-EB1 (anyone interested?..)

      --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Hind" <lists@...> wrote:

      [SNIP]

      > Oh - and I definitely want one :)
      >
      > Jon.