27000Re: Poo on me

  • keenvb
    Mar 3, 2006
      --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, "Josh Morris" <joshsm@...> wrote:

      > > The part of your endeavor that involves cross-systems syncing
      is a
      > > bit out of my experience....I'm a purely Mac guy. Except, my
      entire
      > > office uses Windows/pc. My secretary does my schedule in
      Outlook and
      > > sync my TX to it via Chapura PocketMirror. I suspect you've
      looked
      > > into this and there must be something that prevents doing so.
      Since
      > > you also use DateBK6, take a look at the pimlicodatebk yahoo
      forum
      > > archives if you've not done so, as over time there's been a lot
      of
      > > discussion regarding Palm/Outlook synchronization there.
      >

      > Since you aren't allowed to install PocketMirror or the Palm
      Outlook
      > conduits at work (I think I recall that in your first message),
      you
      > could in theory install Outlook on a home system for syncing to
      your
      > Axim (which syncs at work), and then sync your Palm with that.
      However,
      > I don't really recommend it, especially if you use features like
      tasks
      > with alarms, repeating tasks, events that span midnight, meetings
      with
      > attendees, or anything else beyond a simple calendar type entry.
      First,
      > DateBk handles tasks much differently than the native app does (at
      > least right now - we'll see if/when CESD implements direct native
      tasks
      > db access in newer Palm devices if that changes because of the new
      > features in the newer Palm proprietary db's), and that leads to
      > duplicates, missed alarms on at least one of the devices, etc.
      Also,
      > and this is probably the biggest reason, syncing a PPC with more
      than
      > one machine is begging for trouble. I ALWAYS ended up with
      duplicates,
      > missing events, etc. when I synced at work and at home.
      ActiveSync, to
      > put it bluntly, sucks big time.
      >
      > So if you can't install PM or the native Palm Outlook conduits,
      then
      > I'd recommend against doing the Exchange to Axim to standalone
      Outlook
      > to Palm route. It's actually bad enough syncing everything to the
      > original source (because of the differences between Palm/DateBk
      and
      > Outlook/PocketPC database structures).
      >
      > Sorry to rain on your parade.
      >
      > -Josh

      Thanks Josh. I have been syncing the Dell with Outlook at work,
      syncing that at home with Outlook, then syncing to the Palm with its
      Outlook conduits. I had noticed some duplicates and didn't realize
      that it could be due to DateBk (I am not so hard-core on using
      DateBk that I can't do without it, as I do like the native PIMs well
      enough). I had thought that CESD had starting using the Task
      database instead of the old ToDo one (I thought this had occurred in
      one of the latter versions of DateBk5), so I'm disappointed to hear
      that they still use the old database. But, all of that is kinda
      superfluous to my situation of trying to figure whether to just
      bypass syncing at work all together and enter all my work-related
      appointments and tasks manually. I am going to spend time this
      weekend, as John suggested, looking at what sort of scripted
      automations would make manual entry more acceptable to me. Then I'll
      go from there.

      Thanks.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic