21573Re: Being Lured to the Dark Side

  • Mark Srebnik
    Apr 2, 2003
      Hi,

      If you're going to go down that road...then check out the new model
      available in Japan...the CL-700...design-wise the best of both worlds...wish
      Sony would make a Clie like this!!

      Size-wise it's deceptive, it's smaller than you think at first glance...

      Check it out at Conics.net < http://shop.conics.net/pda/zaurus-sl-c700/ >
      Website is in English and they sell internationally...

      Also, at Dynamism in the USA at <
      http://www.dynamism.com/zaurus/index.shtml>....

      Mark

      MARK SREBNIK
      ARCHITECT AIA
      Los Altos, CA

      on 4/2/03 2:14 AM, peditors@yahoogroups.com at peditors@yahoogroups.com
      wrote:

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:25:27 -0500 (EST)
      > From: Matthew Newby <newby@...>
      > Subject: Re: Being Lured to the Dark Side
      >
      > One other platform to consider (I don't own one of these, just played with
      > someone else's, and boy did I ever develop a severe case of geek-envy!) is
      > the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 and SL-5600. See http://www.zaurus.com for
      > product details. In brief, the 5500 has a 206MHz StrongArm processor, and
      > the 5600 a 400MHz XScale processor. Both have a Linux-based embedded OS,
      > Qtopia, and Personal Java, 1 Compact Flash slot and 1 SD slot (this will
      > support wireless ethernet needs, as well as leaving room for more memory),
      > and a slide-cover accessible thumb keyboard. I didn't get a long time to
      > play with it, but it's pretty cool to tap an icon and get a bash prompt.
      >
      > I'm sure someone has already compiled a version of emacs for it. If not,
      > you can get developer resources (cross compiler, header files, etc.) to do
      > it yourself. I know someone has already compiled Apache with PHP support
      > (why would you want to run a web server on your PDA? BECAUSE YOU CAN!)
      >
      > If you still need to have software that only lives on the Palm, you can
      > get QPose and run the Palm emulator on the Zaurus...
      >
      > 'nuff said... :-)
      >
      > -matt
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic