      > Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:58:37 -0900
      > From: "Chris Lott" <chris@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Being Lured to the Dark Side

      > So I am trying to balance these factors. To give you some idea, emacs is my
      > favorite desktop editor... so of course pedit is my best friend on Palm. I
      > have yet to find anything similar on the pocketPC devices, which may be my
      > only reason for sticking with the Palm at all.
      >
      > Oh, and my office and my home are 802.11b wireless, so I want to,
      > eventually, use that capability. PocketPC does seem a bit further along in
      > this respect.

      > --
      > Chris Lott

      One other platform to consider (I don't own one of these, just played with
      someone else's, and boy did I ever develop a severe case of geek-envy!) is
      the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 and SL-5600. See http://www.zaurus.com for
      product details. In brief, the 5500 has a 206MHz StrongArm processor, and
      the 5600 a 400MHz XScale processor. Both have a Linux-based embedded OS,
      Qtopia, and Personal Java, 1 Compact Flash slot and 1 SD slot (this will
      support wireless ethernet needs, as well as leaving room for more memory),
      and a slide-cover accessible thumb keyboard. I didn't get a long time to
      play with it, but it's pretty cool to tap an icon and get a bash prompt.

      I'm sure someone has already compiled a version of emacs for it. If not,
      you can get developer resources (cross compiler, header files, etc.) to do
      it yourself. I know someone has already compiled Apache with PHP support
      (why would you want to run a web server on your PDA? BECAUSE YOU CAN!)

      If you still need to have software that only lives on the Palm, you can
      get QPose and run the Palm emulator on the Zaurus...

      'nuff said... :-)

      -matt

      -----
      Matthew Newby | newby@... | http://www.nobletec.com/~newby/