RE: [pecinta_teh] Jakarta Post Sunday: Your Cup of Tea

  • Robby A. Badruddin
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
      Dear Ratna dan temans...,

      Interesting article....

      Kalau boleh saya sharing satu sudut pandang yang boleh dibilang jarang
      sekali dibahas mengenai "Goodness of Tea" yaitu efek positive pada
      lingkungan.

      Suatu perkebunan teh yang dikelola dengan baik dapat menjaga ekosistem
      lingkungan sekitarnya. Tidak berlebihan juga mengibaratkan perkebunan teh
      itu seperti pabrik raksasa yang bertugas 'mencuci' udara kotor / polusi dari
      daerah perkotaan dan industri. Dengan menghasilkan Oksigen tiada hentinya 24
      jam 7 hari seminggu, perkebunan teh itu telah menjadi paru paru dunia. Suatu
      siklus yang vital dalam menjaga kwalitas udara dan iklim global ini.

      Saya sering bersyukur ketika saya mereguk secangkir teh... saya selalu
      bayangkan bahwa saya telah berkontribusi positive dalam menjaga keseimbangan
      alam ini. Suatu perasaan yang mungkin tidak saya dapatkan ketika mereguk
      soft drinks... :)

      Jadi... sesuai dengan ajakan Ratna dan milist ... let's proudly become an
      active agent of change for a better tea...and a better environment...

      Cheers....Gluck...

      Robby

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
        Ini dia artikelnya:

        Your cup of tea

        Dita Ajani, Contributor, Jakarta | Sun, 04/01/2012 1:16 PM

        Treasured for its many health benefits, tea - with thousands of varieties
        around - offers extensive flavors to meet people's tastes.

        Tea drinking has long been part of Indonesians' daily lives. However, only
        recently has it started to gain much-deserved respect.

        Ratna Somantri said that ever since the Chinese Emperor Shen Nung discovered
        it some 5,000 years ago, tea has been treasured for its many healthy
        benefits.

        Basically, every cup of tea contains antioxidants and theanine - a natural
        substance that boosts alpha wave production in the brain, which creates a
        relaxed and calming feeling throughout the body. However, each type of tea
        also has its own positive advantages.

        Black tea, she says, helps prevent blocked arteries as well as tooth decay,
        while green tea is renowned for its ability to help reduce the level of bad
        cholesterol (LDL) and maintain one's ideal body weight.

        White tea, on the other hand, has the highest level of antioxidants, making
        it a great anti-aging beverage. It has also been used for autism therapy.

        Several types of herbal tea also have health benefits.

        Chamomile tea, for instance, works as a soothing natural beverage that helps
        people to sleep more easily as well as reduces anxiety and stomach cramps.

        Chrysanthemum tea can prevent heartburn, while peppermint tea relieves sore
        throats and rose tea is nutritious for the skin.

        "Whenever I'm working long hours, I consume tea," says prominent furniture
        designer Leonard Theosabrata, who also shared stories of his love affair
        with tea during a recent gathering of the Jakarta Food Editor's Club (JFEC).

        "Tea is able to keep my mind at peace, hence making me more alert, focused,
        and objective in doing a rigorous work."

        Though highly nourishing, tea expert Ratna insists that it is not a
        medicine.

        "Tea is not a drug, so tea doesn't cure diseases. But tea possesses plenty
        of hearty natural compounds that are good for our bodies, including
        antioxidants, fluoride and vitamin C," she says.

        Compared to other drinks, tea is also the most versatile beverage in the
        world - no matter how you combine, blend or mix tea with other ingredients,
        the distinctive taste of the tea itself can still be very much felt.

        When mixing tea with spices, for example, the tea flavor still has a solid
        presence in the midst of the spices' strong aroma. Together, they can
        produce awesome
        exotic concoctions.

        "Tea can be combined with many kinds of flowers, fruits, and spices and even
        used as cooking ingredient. You can create a tea omelet or fried shrimp with
        fresh tea leaves, and in all, you can still enjoy the crisp taste of the
        tea," Ratna says.

        Currently, there are thousands of tea varieties around the world and they
        are gaining popularity, offering extensive flavors to people of all ages.

        Ratna said that every day, a new tea variety is invented, including blended
        teas, which combine several types of tea and other ingredients.

        Just recently, Ratna says a friend in Kyoto introduced her to Shiawase Cha -
        a new tea variety made of Japanese green tea, dried seaweed and roasted
        rice.

        More conventionally, new teas are also being introduced, such as the latest
        version of Pu-erh tea from China.

        "Before, Pu-erh is made of green tea, but now it's also produced from white
        tea," says Ratna.

        A couple of years ago, both green and white tea shot to stardom - becoming
        the preferred tea beverage for many people across the globe. And today,
        green tea latte has supposedly become the second best-selling drink at
        Starbucks.

        Amidst the hype, a certain type of Chinese tea - yellow tea, famously dubbed
        as the champagne of the tea, has slowly brewing in the zeitgeist.

        "These days, more and more people love to drink yellow tea since it
        preserves a unique, refined flavor. It's actually green tea that has
        undergone several additional processes, such as mild fermentation," Ratna
        says.

        Yellow tea is very rare and only produced in Hunan and Anhui provinces in
        China.

        "In China itself, it's difficult to obtain yellow tea, unless we visit the
        manufacturers directly. I managed to purchase yellow tea from a teashop in
        the US," she says, laughing.

        Unlike the Chinese, Japanese or the British - who have long recognized tea
        drinking has a sophisticated culture that has been carefully preserved for
        centuries - Indonesians, unfortunately, have taken tea for granted, due to
        its low price and easy accessibility.

        In the past few years, more Indonesians have been willing to explore the
        world of tea, pushing for a major transformation into the birth of a more
        appreciative local tea culture.

        Currently, several teahouses in the capital have consistently offered a
        dynamic menu selection, including top-quality teas from all over the world.

        In these teahouses, customers can indulge in a pleasant tea break or
        afternoon tea session, where tea is highly praised and deeply enjoyed.

        It's with the passion for tea that the Tea Lovers Community was set up in
        May 2005, with Ratna as one of the co-founders. Their mission was simple: to
        develop people's appreciation of tea.

        "Indonesia is probably the fifth-largest tea producer in the world, but our
        tea culture is not as well-appreciated as in Japan or China," Ratna says.

        "We don't even have our own trademark Indonesian tea, like Darjeeling from
        India, Gyokuro from Japan or LongJing from China. As a result, high-quality
        Indonesian tea is always exported abroad, leaving Indonesians with poor
        quality tea."

        The community currently has 460 members and hosts monthly gatherings,
        tastings, demonstrations, tea pairingws and visits to local tea plantations.

        "Not long ago, we tried 19 varieties of tea in three consecutive hours. It
        was fun and educational sharing moment with other tea lovers."

        Interested in joining the community and becoming a tea devotee? e-mail to
        pecinta_teh-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and become an active agent of change
        for a better tea.

        Hari ini di Jakarta Post ada artikel mengenai teh hasil wawancara dengan
        saya beberapa waktu lalu. Ada promosi untuk join milis kita juga.. Dan ada
        foto Pak Alexander Halim, Henny dan Bumi Bahari saat gathering di Ekaria.

        Thanks to Julian dan Ferly yang membantu kasi foto-foto gatheringnya krn sy
        waktu itu tdk bisa hadir.

        Di akhir artikel tertulis:

        Interested in joining the community and becoming a tea devotee? E-mail to
        pecinta_teh-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:pecinta_teh-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com> and become an active agent
        of change
        for a better tea.

        Jadi kita semua member milis pecinta teh adalah tea devotee dan an active
        agent of change for a better tea. :)

        Selamat berhari minggu.

        Salam,

        Ratna

        Powered by Telkomsel BlackBerryR

        01:34:00

      • agusfam@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
          Dear Robby. Itu cara pandang yg sangat positif, apalagi kalau dieksploit lebih detail lagi fungsi kbn teh bagi kehidupan manusia, maka kita akan semakin bangga menjadi komunitas penggemar teh..... Salam. Agus S

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
            Dear all,
            @Ratna, thank you ya
            @Pak Robby, @pak Agus
            Saya setuju banget, harus diekspos besar-besaran bahwa kebun teh itu bukan
            "hanya" penghasil teh, tetapi juga kita memberikan kontribusi cukup besar
            untuk ekologi alam, baik dari sisi "penyaring" populasi udara, pencegah
            banjir, bendungan erosi dsb dsb.

            Waktu kita di audit oleh IMO, mereka tidak hanya melihat semua proses
            keorganikan kita saja dikebun, tetapi juga kontribusi kebun terhadap alam
            dan sekeliling itu apa?

            Salam,

            Dr.-Ing. Alexander Halim
            PT Harendong Green Farm
            www.harendong.com

          • Alexander Halim
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
              Hi Ratna,
              apakah artikelnya bisa dilihat/dibaca secara online?

              Thank you

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
                Dear p Alex, p Robby. Lebih jauh lagi....., Saya ingin mendengar pendapat seorang phsykolog, akhli kesehatan lainnya n Sosiolog thd hamparan kebun teh bagi kesehatan jiwa, raga, jasmani maupun rohani kita serta melihat keunikan masyarakat di kbn n pabrik teh dibanding masyarakat industri lainnya... Kalau ada yg mau meneliti, pasti hasilnya sangat menarik n sangat bermanfaat bagi kita...... Any volunteer........

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
                  Dear Pak Alex,

                  Artikelnya dapat dilihat di link ini:
                  http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/04/01/your-cup-tea.html

                  Sebenarnya Julian sudah paste artikelnya. Untuk hardcopy saya sudah mendapatkannya. Bila mau akan saya copy kan.

                  Regards

                  Se Tjie

                  Please DO NOT print this e-mail unless you really have to. Thank you

                  Dari: Alexander Halim <alhalim.oolong@...>
                  Kepada: pecinta_teh@yahoogroups.com
                  Dikirim: Selasa, 3 April 2012 11:28
                  Judul: Re: [pecinta_teh] Jakarta Post Sunday: Your Cup of Tea