Re: [Peace Corps Kenya] Departing for PC Kenya JUNE 2013 - CED program

  • westsideshady
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
      Marian,

      Thank you for you kind, informative response.
      I am very open-minded/adaptable/adventurous so I'm guessing this journey (or Safari as it were) will help my personality flourish even more.

      To be honest one of the only worries I have looming in my mind is the big city of Nairobi. Africa itself is an entirely different world in my perspective, but it's the dubious urban setting that concerns me more than the wild.

      Any tips on how to get around the city? What to places, people, or behaviors to avoid?

      Thanks again,
      Travis

      --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, Marian Hart <marian.hart19@...> wrote:

      > Dear Travis,
      >
      > First, allow me to say congrats.  They tell you that your Peace Corps experience will change your life forever, believe it!  I was a Peace Corps Volunteer, based in Nairobi, Kenya (1992 - 1994), assigned to the Ministry of Commerce, SBA  sector and I loved every minute of it.
      >
      > The main thing to remember is to come with an open mind, throw out all pre-conceived opinions you might have about the host contry Nationals; be willing to accept the fact that "our way of doing things is not the only way and the correct way", you will soon learn that this is not true; be willing to listen and take the positives and merge them with  your expertise and you will succeed. and they will benefit from your assignment.
      >
      > Bring reference material with you to compliment the materials that will be provided by Peace Corps. You will discover that Nairobi is not much different that any city you will find in rural America. I spent a total of ten years in Nairobi, returned to the states in year 2000, retired in year 2008 and returned to east Africa, where I built a house and now reside in Zanzibar.  There are lots of stories I can share with you!
      >
      > Again good luck in your assignmet, you will love it!
      >
      > Marian Hart
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Megan Lilge
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
        Travis,

        Don't let Nairobi scare you. The first weekend you are in the city, you will be with the group and experienced RPCVs. They will show you the basics of matatus. You'll pick it up quickly.

        My piece of advice is to bring a headlamp and a good hat, espcially if you are a sweater like me:).If you are a teacher, bring a box of chalk. That is the one thing I wish I had at site from the start. It's important to know that anything you can get in America, you can get in Nairobi (God bless the nakumatt and uchumi) so don't bring a million toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorants etc. It's a little more expensive but not that much more. You will have to get all of your belongings to site (on public transporation and by foot!) so if you over pack you could seriously regret it. I brought an ipod but no computer. To me it wasn't worth the weight or the fear of losing it. I didn't regret that. What you are rarely told is not all sites are out in the small villages. I knew a lot of PCVs in decent size towns with interest cafes, electricity, bars etc. I wasn't one of those lucky ones but I was still close enough to internet that I didn't need a computer. I
        don't regret that. When I served (2007) Kindle's were not cheap, if I was serving now, I would probably take a kindle. That can keep you entertained but is light and easily hidden.

        If you are an average size person, there are plenty of clothes to be purchased on market day in your village or at markets in Nairobi so don't worry about bringing enough clothes for two years. Any sense of fashion you think you have in America, goes out the window at site. You just want to be comfortable. No one cares what you look like.

        Get used to your personal space being invaded. You will share a 14 person matatu with 21 people plus goats and chickens. I can't tell you how many random people just sat on my lap. It adds to the charm and makes for great stories to your loved ones.

        Give Kenya my love.
        Megan