Departing for PC Kenya JUNE 2013 - CED program

  • westsideshady
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2013
      Greetings!

      My name is Travis and I just received my official invitation from the PC (outlined in this subject).

      For those of you there or that were there (especially who were business/technology advisers) PLEASE...

      WHAT CAN I DO TO PREPARE!

      Any and all information is welcome and will be more than helpful.
      Thank you so much, looking forward to chatting with some of you.

      -Travis
    • Marian Hart
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
        Dear Travis,

        First, allow me to say congrats.  They tell you that your Peace Corps experience will change your life forever, believe it!  I was a Peace Corps Volunteer, based in Nairobi, Kenya (1992 - 1994), assigned to the Ministry of Commerce, SBA  sector and I loved every minute of it.

        The main thing to remember is to come with an open mind, throw out all pre-conceived opinions you might have about the host contry Nationals; be willing to accept the fact that "our way of doing things is not the only way and the correct way", you will soon learn that this is not true; be willing to listen and take the positives and merge them with  your expertise and you will succeed. and they will benefit from your assignment.

        Bring reference material with you to compliment the materials that will be provided by Peace Corps. You will discover that Nairobi is not much different that any city you will find in rural America. I spent a total of ten years in Nairobi, returned to the states in year 2000, retired in year 2008 and returned to east Africa, where I built a house and now reside in Zanzibar.  There are lots of stories I can share with you!

        Again good luck in your assignmet, you will love it!

        Marian Hart

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
          Hey, I am a current pcv in central Kenya. BRING A LAPTOP AND AN EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE IF POSSIBLE! Unless you like to read until your eyes bleed. Definitely bring a sleepingbag and alot of people bring kindles because it is just too difficult to travel with 100 hardback books. Alot of pcv trade movies and books here and it is important for you sanity. Good hiking shoes, I  have chaos but closed toed are better because they wont ruin and crack your feet up. Only bring stuff that is replaceable and GET INSURANCE on your electronics. Dont even bother wasting your money on Kiswahili online learning shit , you will learn it all during training. Oh  man, I will think of more stuff and email you... congrats!

          Shailah M. Bevan
          shailahbevan@...
          (803)979-3252

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
            Shailah,

            Thank you SO MUCH for the information, it is very helpful. I just acquired a new laptop that I believe will be perfect for me personally and also to help me serve (as comps are my specialty).

            I am an avid outdoorsman and backpacker so I definitely will have some great equipment with me that will be not only reliable but mobile. With that, would you recommend just the backpack and a briefcase maybe?

            How many sets of clothes did you bring?

            Thanks again,
            Travs

            --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, Shailah Bevan <shailahbevan@...> wrote:

            > Hey, I am a current pcv in central Kenya. BRING A LAPTOP AND AN EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE IF POSSIBLE! Unless you like to read until your eyes bleed. Definitely bring a sleepingbag and alot of people bring kindles because it is just too difficult to travel with 100 hardback books. Alot of pcv trade movies and books here and it is important for you sanity. Good hiking shoes, I  have chaos but closed toed are better because they wont ruin and crack your feet up. Only bring stuff that is replaceable and GET INSURANCE on your electronics. Dont even bother wasting your money on Kiswahili online learning shit , you will learn it all during training. Oh  man, I will think of more stuff and email you... congrats!
            >
            > Shailah M. Bevan
            > shailahbevan@...
            > (803)979-3252

          • westsideshady
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
              Marian,

              Thank you for you kind, informative response.
              I am very open-minded/adaptable/adventurous so I'm guessing this journey (or Safari as it were) will help my personality flourish even more.

              To be honest one of the only worries I have looming in my mind is the big city of Nairobi. Africa itself is an entirely different world in my perspective, but it's the dubious urban setting that concerns me more than the wild.

              Any tips on how to get around the city? What to places, people, or behaviors to avoid?

              Thanks again,
              Travis

              --- In peacecorpskenya@yahoogroups.com, Marian Hart <marian.hart19@...> wrote:

              > Dear Travis,
              >
              > First, allow me to say congrats.  They tell you that your Peace Corps experience will change your life forever, believe it!  I was a Peace Corps Volunteer, based in Nairobi, Kenya (1992 - 1994), assigned to the Ministry of Commerce, SBA  sector and I loved every minute of it.
              >
              > The main thing to remember is to come with an open mind, throw out all pre-conceived opinions you might have about the host contry Nationals; be willing to accept the fact that "our way of doing things is not the only way and the correct way", you will soon learn that this is not true; be willing to listen and take the positives and merge them with  your expertise and you will succeed. and they will benefit from your assignment.
              >
              > Bring reference material with you to compliment the materials that will be provided by Peace Corps. You will discover that Nairobi is not much different that any city you will find in rural America. I spent a total of ten years in Nairobi, returned to the states in year 2000, retired in year 2008 and returned to east Africa, where I built a house and now reside in Zanzibar.  There are lots of stories I can share with you!
              >
              > Again good luck in your assignmet, you will love it!
              >
              > Marian Hart
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Megan Lilge
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
                Travis,

                Don't let Nairobi scare you. The first weekend you are in the city, you will be with the group and experienced RPCVs. They will show you the basics of matatus. You'll pick it up quickly.

                My piece of advice is to bring a headlamp and a good hat, espcially if you are a sweater like me:).If you are a teacher, bring a box of chalk. That is the one thing I wish I had at site from the start. It's important to know that anything you can get in America, you can get in Nairobi (God bless the nakumatt and uchumi) so don't bring a million toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorants etc. It's a little more expensive but not that much more. You will have to get all of your belongings to site (on public transporation and by foot!) so if you over pack you could seriously regret it. I brought an ipod but no computer. To me it wasn't worth the weight or the fear of losing it. I didn't regret that. What you are rarely told is not all sites are out in the small villages. I knew a lot of PCVs in decent size towns with interest cafes, electricity, bars etc. I wasn't one of those lucky ones but I was still close enough to internet that I didn't need a computer. I
                don't regret that. When I served (2007) Kindle's were not cheap, if I was serving now, I would probably take a kindle. That can keep you entertained but is light and easily hidden.

                If you are an average size person, there are plenty of clothes to be purchased on market day in your village or at markets in Nairobi so don't worry about bringing enough clothes for two years. Any sense of fashion you think you have in America, goes out the window at site. You just want to be comfortable. No one cares what you look like.

                Get used to your personal space being invaded. You will share a 14 person matatu with 21 people plus goats and chickens. I can't tell you how many random people just sat on my lap. It adds to the charm and makes for great stories to your loved ones.

                Give Kenya my love.
                Megan